• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New shield Pressure Method ( Opinions )

NightRaid|tAmA?

Smash Cadet
So I was thinking how would shffl Nair - shine turnaound bair work on shield. Is it good/bad opinions on this.

Spoons

Smash Rookie
I agree with krazyzyko. If the turnaround shine isn't quick enough a good opponent will either punish you or get away from your pressure. You'd be better off just throwing out another spaced Nair, or a Dair.

bearsfan092

Smash Journeyman
Even if you did do this, the only possible way I could see this working out is if they try to grab you seeing the extra time from the turnaround, which then might cause them to get hit by the bair. Even then it's not likely this is gonna happen and most people are gonna try to escape spacie pressure instead of shieldgrabbing it. Not a good option.

Rob Taylor

Smash Rookie
Sydney Australia, Cleveland Ohio, Cincinnati Ohio
It doesn't really accomplish anything that typical nair shine pressure already accomplishes.

The only benefit I can really see is it's got more range so if you fade away you can do it really late and potentially be far enough away to bait an out of shield option, but fade away nair is already pretty good on it's own at doing that and has less land lag and start up lag in this case.

Remember that nair-shine on it's own is faster than this and is not safe against a lot of characters because even if you're frame perfect then you're still vulnerable for 7 frames that a lot of characters can get you during. Doing the shine turnaround back air just makes it slower and more vulnerable.

It's flashy sure, but remember that the purpose of shield pressure is to force a bad reaction out of your opponent that you can quickly counter. If they're staying in shield too long then grab, if they're attempting to grab then you want to space yourself outside of the grab range, if they're rolling away or spot dodging you want to do something that can counter that. Doing the back air doesn't really cover anything different than nair.

Foxco

Smash Cadet
What is the best shield pressure option as fox then? Nair shine, multishine, nair shinegrab? I personally use shine grab if I hit an aerial on shield

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
What is the best shield pressure option as fox then? Nair shine, multishine, nair shinegrab? I personally use shine grab if I hit an aerial on shield
Shine grab up front, multi shine if you land behind opponent. I still go for the shine turnaround grab because l suck at multishining.

MagicScrumpy

Smash Journeyman
When I have the time (I'm going out to eat and then I'm streaming very soon after, so it might be tomorrow), I'll get some frame data on your shine turnaround shield pressure idea if need be. You would definitely get grabbed in either the shine turnaround or jumpsquat though (definitely way before you would be able to get a b-air out).

Last edited:

SuperShus

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
East#694
There is guaranteed shield pressure as fox.

downbydownbydownbydownbydownbydownbydownbydownbydownbydownby
Each one has a frame perfect input so good luck doing it though rofl.

If you manage to get good at multishining, hold the stick a bit forward so you drift forward so they can't get out. When their shield looks too small, usmash and it'll break the shield. Then punish that character the best you can.

SuperShus

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
East#694
It's guaranteed if you're spaced close enough to them, shields stale very very fast while being shined and if they panic and light shield the extra shield stun will make it easy to punish with a shine grab before they get pushed out from low friction.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Shield SDI -> grab usually beats multishine, and it's also pretty hard to punish buffered roll after 2nd shine. Many upbs beat even the 2nd shine. On plats many shielddrop options potentially beat multishine, and especially yoshi. Foxes shine OoS goes even with 3rd or later shine.

Top Bottom