• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Shadow Sneak Techs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Br0kenEng1ish

Smash Cadet
Hey smashboards, long time lurker wanting to post some possible new finds with shadow sneak.

Sorry I can't get video footage, hopefully someone reading can test and provide.

First, his Side B works OoS making it an amazing punish against long ranged attackers (shadow sneak attack range beats out Marth's tippers for reference) Can kill light characters from centre of FD at around 125%, so take that as you will.

Edit: Execution to sprinting SS not 100% confirmed

Next is much harder to do, but has serious potential especially when on one of Greninja's stages of choice. Start a dash and than bring the stick back a little, MAKE SURE IT DOES NOT GO INTO NEUTRAL POSITION. Than tap the running direction again, plus B. This will cause a sprinting shadow sneak, leading to solid mix ups. But the most amazing thing about this is of you dash off the side of a ledge the shadow sneak continues off stage leading to some serious gimping options to add onto Greninja's already amazing off stage pressure.

Again, I would love if someone could get footage and share.

Last edited:

mightychir

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0387-9912-4573
I have been trying to do this for the past 10 mins and nothing. Maybe its poor execution of mine or something but yea some proof of yours would really help as reference.

If anyone else could try it and show us that'd be awesome.

Br0kenEng1ish

Smash Cadet
I have footage but am unable to post links due to being a new member, I have put them on reddit if anyone could please find them under Greninja Shadow Sneak Techs. Same username ,post them that would be apreciated.

Last edited:

Spirst

Hey smashboards, long time lurker wanting to post some possible new finds with shadow sneak.

Sorry I can't get video footage, hopefully someone reading can test and provide.

First, his Side B works OoS making it an amazing punish against long ranged attackers (shadow sneak attack range beats out Marth's tippers for reference) Can kill light characters from centre of FD at around 125%, so take that as you will.

Next is much harder to do, but has serious potential especially when on one of Greninja's stages of choice. Start a dash and than bring the stick back a little, MAKE SURE IT DOES NOT GO INTO NEUTRAL POSITION. Than tap the running direction again, plus B. This will cause a sprinting shadow sneak, leading to solid mix ups. But the most amazing thing about this is of you dash off the side of a ledge the shadow sneak continues off stage leading to some serious gimping options to add onto Greninja's already amazing off stage pressure.

Again, I would love if someone could get footage and share.
I can do do the OoS side b decently enough with a little practice but I'm having issues with your second input. That is, the running shadow sneak. Is the input you've given something that you've done often enough to feel the method is justifiably correct? I recall seeing that it was based on timing Greninja's run animation as opposed to moving the stick in a certain way. That said, I was able to get a few running shadow sneaks done in 1/2 and 2/3 speed in training while testing this. However, I was also able to do this when I tested it last night before reading your specific methodology for doing so I'm not quite sure if I reproduced the same thing or if there's another way of doing it. This is very interesting though.

Edit: Here, I'll post your reddit pictures.

Oos Shadow Sneak Punish:

"Sprinting shadow sneak, done by starting a dash brining stick back a little, but not to neutral and tap again pressing B very slightly after. The frame window seems very small so more testing is required, if I had to have a guess I would say it's a 1 frame trick that acts almost like fox trotting." :

http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2iu7xj/greninja_shadow_sneak_techs/

Last edited:

Br0kenEng1ish

Smash Cadet
The
I can do do the OoS side b decently enough with a little practice but I'm having issues with your second input. That is, the running shadow sneak. Is the input you've given something that you've done often enough to feel the method is justifiably correct? I recall seeing that it was based on timing Greninja's run animation as opposed to moving the stick in a certain way. That said, I was able to get a few running shadow sneaks done in 1/2 and 2/3 speed in training while testing this. However, I was also able to do this when I tested it last night before reading your specific methodology for doing so I'm not quite sure if I reproduced the same thing or if there's another way of doing it.
methodology may not be 100% accurate than, but it is how I have recreated it the most constantly. I'm starting to think going neutral doesn't mater you just need to be quick enough. The timing seems similar to a foxtrot also I've been having success slightly delaying the B input so more testing will be needed to flesh out all the mechanics.

Spirst

The

methodology may not be 100% accurate than, but it is how I have recreated it the most constantly. I'm starting to think going neutral doesn't mater you just need to be quick enough. The timing seems similar to a foxtrot also I've been having success slightly delaying the B input so more testing will be needed to flesh out all the mechanics.
Okay, I've been able to do this a few times in 1x speed now but the timing is extremely tricky and I remain a bit unclear as to how I'm recreating this exactly. This definitely warrants some more testing to find a reliable input for it as this would be incredibly useful for Greninja's follow-ups and approaches.

Br0kenEng1ish

Smash Cadet
Agreed, especially on stages where shadows aren't visible.

I think when perfected it's use as a low of stage killer could be usefull but Greninja general sends people upwards. Between this and the instant drop Shadow Sneak Greninja has some very surprising ways to approach the opponent.

Edit: Grammar

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Well, finally we get an input for the sprinting Shadow Sneak, now to test if it's the real input.

I've been telling people that SS has such a nice range it can be used to counter well spaced (or shielded) attacks. People don't give Shadow Sneak enough credit honestly.

Hopefully this is the actual input for the sprinting Shadow Sneak, I really want to learn how to do it.

Br0kenEng1ish

Smash Cadet
Well, finally we get an input for the sprinting Shadow Sneak, now to test if it's the real input.

I've been telling people that SS has such a nice range it can be used to counter well spaced (or shielded) attacks. People don't give Shadow Sneak enough credit honestly.

Hopefully this is the actual input for the sprinting Shadow Sneak, I really want to learn how to do it.
Agreed so much with the dodging attacks with SS, being able to do it OoS is absolutely incredible, as long as you know what moves you can punish and when it's better than grabbing. Seriously it just puts in work when you manage to work it into your game.

Shadow sneak is very quickly becoming one of Greninja's best tools, just need more testing. I'll be trying to find the Sprinting SS (from here on I'll just call it SSS for short.) soon I'm just helping a friend trying to find some useful Robin tech.

I know I keep harping about it but I'm seriously loving the edge guarding potential the SSS has.

Br0kenEng1ish

Smash Cadet
I think I have made progress with the input, first off I was wrong with the stick not being allowed to go to neutral, in fact you don't even have to let go of The stick at all after your initial dash.

When Greninja dashes he has his initial dash that's kind of like a long stride than he begins to sprit, it looks like you if you input SS on the frame where he begins to sprint the SS will begin but the sprint will not be canceled. The most important part I just found was you do not even need to let go of dash, just time your B press correctly and you will start the SSS.

I have done this several times in succession on 1/2 speed so if we could try get more people to re create than we might now if we have it.

Edit: inputs discovered

Last edited:

Sneak Frog

Smash Cadet
NNID
Scrappert
Something to note, you can also achieve this Shadow Sneak sprint after your turnaround, right about when the running animation begins after the little slide you do. This is something I did by accident online, so I went into training for a bit and figured out how do it again.

Here's a quick snap of around where I was able to replicate it. I'll try to get a gif or something of it in action if I can.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I think I have made progress with the input, first off I was wrong with the stick not being allowed to go to neutral, in fact you don't even have to let go of The stick at all after your initial dash.

When Greninja dashes he has his initial dash that's kind of like a long stride than he begins to sprit, it looks like you if you input SS on the frame where he begins to sprint the SS will begin but the sprint will not be canceled. The most important part I just found was you do not even need to let go of dash, just time your B press correctly and you will start the SSS.

I have done this several times in succession on 1/2 speed so if we could try get more people to re create than we might now if we have it.

Someone has already told me this input but I didn't quite understand it and couldn't get it down. Now I am able to do it around 1/6th of the times I try and do it. So it's basically just press B as Greninja starts his running animation.

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
The sound the dash makes is the cue, the second it ends is when you have to hit b, just figured it out on 1/4th speed and its the same thing on 1/2 and 2/3rds. Still kinda hard on 1x but hit 3 out of my first 5.

Erionn

Smash Cadet

I've posted about this a few times before. If you are running from left to right, the exact timing to input Side-B is when his left foot starts to move down to the ground, but before touching the ground. I can do it 100% consistently at 1/2 speed, problem is doing it in real time. In real time it's far too fast for any visual cue, but the input is only a few frames after you start a dash.

Last edited:

squidtepig

Smash Rookie
Hello!
I'm new here I was inspired by everyone's work to show off this awesome new tech so I decided to make a video showing it off in a bit more detail.(Hopefully it turn out great.) I hope this help out other Greninja players! Also, because I cant post like for being so noobish here I can't post the link to my video but check my channel to find the video. Squidtepig Wilson

Br0kenEng1ish

Smash Cadet
Hello!
I'm new here I was inspired by everyone's work to show off this awesome new tech so I decided to make a video showing it off in a bit more detail.(Hopefully it turn out great.) I hope this help out other Greninja players! Also, because I cant post like for being so noobish here I can't post the link to my video but check my channel to find the video. Squidtepig Wilson
Welcome to Smashboards, it's nice to see other newcomers contributing the community.
Good videos, when I get time I'll update the OP when I have spare time might add links to your vids as well as my gifs.

AkashicSword

Yokai
This is good stuff. The audio trick has helped the most. I'll work on consistency, then show off my results. Keep up the good work gentlemen.

Rodaku

Smash Rookie
NNID
Dallas7174
3DS FC
4554-0450-6263
ok i found a nice little shadow sneak tech after i got bored and watched some 1v1's in for glory, this one seems really useful in that during Greninja's Down Air, when he lands you can perform his shadow sneak and use it during the landing animation, so what was a very punishable move if you miss is now still dangerous with the fact that you can shadow sneak the moment you land.

Spirst

ok i found a nice little shadow sneak tech after i got bored and watched some 1v1's in for glory, this one seems really useful in that during Greninja's Down Air, when he lands you can perform his shadow sneak and use it during the landing animation, so what was a very punishable move if you miss is now still dangerous with the fact that you can shadow sneak the moment you land.
Your efforts are appreciated, but this one has already been known for a fair amount of time right now. It does cancel out the landing lag, yeah, but it is still very punishable if the shadow sneak is shielded.

Rodaku

Smash Rookie
NNID
Dallas7174
3DS FC
4554-0450-6263
ah... well i should have known better... oh well, i will try testing this out, i have got it to work somewhats though i am still looking for the timing of it.

SmellTheJava

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0834-0767-5817
This turned out to be way easier than expected, I knew all those hours with Ibuki on SFIV would help me a lot getting the timing on things like these.

Rodaku

Smash Rookie
NNID
Dallas7174
3DS FC
4554-0450-6263
so after a bit of testing i found the percise (or somewhat percise timing) for the running shadow sneak somewhat, and that is right before the running animation, during the dash part, when the front foot lands is when you wanna being the shadow sneak (or just a secound before then), i had been testing this at about 1/4th speed at the time with camera zoomed to find the spot and i think thats when you can sneak while you run.

Erionn

Smash Cadet
so after a bit of testing i found the percise (or somewhat percise timing) for the running shadow sneak somewhat, and that is right before the running animation, during the dash part, when the front foot lands is when you wanna being the shadow sneak (or just a secound before then), i had been testing this at about 1/4th speed at the time with camera zoomed to find the spot and i think thats when you can sneak while you run.
This is also known already. In fact, if you go up like 10 posts I said it in this very thread.

Rodaku

Smash Rookie
NNID
Dallas7174
3DS FC
4554-0450-6263
... well at least i am now sure of it that i am an idiot... well i guess i can test the timing for the turning around shadow sneak at least... hopefully

Erionn

Smash Cadet
... well at least i am now sure of it that i am an idiot... well i guess i can test the timing for the turning around shadow sneak at least... hopefully
Lol it's no problem. Hard to find things that haven't been tested.

Rodaku

Smash Rookie
NNID
Dallas7174
3DS FC
4554-0450-6263
welp after i did some testing i found the timing for the turning around shadow sneak and it seems that its the same timing for the dashing one. to do both you have to shadow sneak JUST before the running animation begins, so that helps me learn how this little shadow sneak tech works.

Pubertus

Smash Rookie
Might have been covered, i see people talking about the sound dash makes at the end but i find it actually times better to the sound of greninjas first footstep step after his dash, turned off the music and listening to his footsteps made it much easier for me

HMD

Smash Journeyman
is it known that you can cancel the landing lag on Dair with shadow sneak?

HMD

Smash Journeyman
Yep. Has been brought up two times in this very thread.
Sorry about that then, didn't bother to read because I don't have any intention on using Greninja. Still not excuse for not reading my apologies

Last edited:

TehSharpie

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0817-4971-4822
Been able to do this semi consistently now in matches, including twice in a row against a Lucina. It's very satisfying lol. It feels even better when you jump at the right time to SS offstage to intercept your opponent's recovery.

Demoloque

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2509-3302-9974
Been able to do this semi consistently now in matches, including twice in a row against a Lucina. It's very satisfying lol. It feels even better when you jump at the right time to SS offstage to intercept your opponent's recovery.
Do they see it coming?

TehSharpie

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0817-4971-4822
When I was on the ground, they could see the shadow but when I got the offstage SS, the shadow disappears the moment I jump.

Dwho?

Smash Rookie
Have you guys discussed how when using shadow sneAK in the air, if you double tap down you can go from aiair to the ground?

TehSharpie

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0817-4971-4822
It was brought up in another thread but yeah. You can either initiate fast fall BEFORE you start Shadow Sneak, or you can hold down on the circle pad before you release it.

toki

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3582-9503-2397
Hey guys. been trying this running shadow sneak tech. I can do it sometimes, but I know when I do it, its luck.
Im one of those person who wishes to consistently succeed. Been taking notes to press B when Greninja's foot steps after his dash animation.
Any more tips? still cant get the timing right.

Br0kenEng1ish

Smash Cadet
Hey guys. been trying this running shadow sneak tech. I can do it sometimes, but I know when I do it, its luck.
Im one of those person who wishes to consistently succeed. Been taking notes to press B when Greninja's foot steps after his dash animation.
Any more tips? still cant get the timing right.
Honestly it just takes a lot of practise and patience. Try to get a rhythm going in training mode. Keep going till you can do it multiple times in succession, the amount is up to you.Don't stress to much about if your having problems with it, it isn't to crucial to Greninja's overall game plan just a good surprise option.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom