• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NEW ROY MAIN~ teeter? ledge cancel?

ApocalypticAids

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone, just starting off with roy as a main with some marth here and there, what are some main things i should know technique wise or any additional information would be great, also a general tech question, i saw a video of sethlon doing a neutral A into a grab without hesitation, can anyone explain how its possible?

Last edited:

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
Hello everyone, just starting off with roy as a main with some marth here and there, what are some main things i should know technique wise or any additional information would be great, also a general tech question, i saw a video of sethlon doing a neutral A into a grab without hesitation, can anyone explain how its possible?
L-canceling my friend. And at lower percentages I believe when this is most possible, part of it depends on what character you're playing, like DK or Bowser. You most likely won't get enough of hitstun on either of these characters in order to capitalize with a grab.
Just general technical skills are what you need to play Roy, but part of it is dependant on what level of play you want to reach. Like wavedashing, dash dancing, pivot smashes, wave-landing, etc.

Taytertot

Smash Ace
sorry this is a bit late of a reply. brim is right, roy is like marth in that he is a fundamentals based character so getting good at him requires skill at dash dancing, wavedashing and wavelanding, knowing how to use your resources to recover, knowing when and to what percent you can crouch cancel, knowing your spacing, good SHFFLing, playing a solid neutral game, knowing your punish and combo games and knowing how to set up into kills.
for more specific stuff roy benefits a lot from lots of SHFFLed uairs since uair is roy's main juggling tool. Roy's dtilt is his best combo setup move and so learning the spacing for that as well as how to get the most out of a dtilt hit confirm is important. Roy is generally a very grounded character who should only be jumping to use aerials for pressure/combos and so for the most part you wont want to use full hop much (other then dtilting at high percents to lead into a full hop bair kill). But roy has much better movement options and flexibility on the ground. Roy's attacks deal the most damage and knockback towards the middle and or hilt of the sword so unlike marth who likes to keep opponents at a distance, roy wants to get in on people so he can get meatier hits. Roy has a great grab that has far reach and good options.

Theres plenty more info on roy but id recommend reading sethlons roy guide to understand the more advanced stuff. As far as the nair to grab that you saw sethlon do. that would most likely work at middle percents if the opponent is close to you and you have the time to catch them with a very late nair (in other words you want to hit them with nair just before hitting the ground and then L-cancel into a grab). the first hit of nair has very little knockback and so that small flinch can in some cases be enough to get a grab afterward, but its not that safe on many characters. the characters who you are likely to get a combo like that on would be any of the characters that dont have very good crouch cancels and or any particularly fast options. for example, i believe charizards fastest option is jab which comes out on frame 7, if you can get a super late nair while close to charizard you might have enough time to L-cancel the landing and grab but its risky and may have some reliance on your opponent not knowing what to do or being caught off guard.

Top Bottom