• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New player starting out.

Shin_Mazinkaiser

Smash Journeyman
I am a newer player who has had no real experience with any prior smash game and as such have nothing to draw on when learning new characters.

I wish to learn Marth, but I have no idea where to start.

I can SHHFL and dash dance rather well, but that's all fundamental. I need character specific things to practice.

Can you guys give me a starting point of what to get good at so I can hit the lab?

Translucent

Smash Journeyman
Wavedash, L-cancel everything, learn his chaingrabs and combos on spacies. That should be something to get you started.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
I am a newer player who has had no real experience with any prior smash game and as such have nothing to draw on when learning new characters.

I wish to learn Marth, but I have no idea where to start.

I can SHHFL and dash dance rather well, but that's all fundamental. I need character specific things to practice.

Can you guys give me a starting point of what to get good at so I can hit the lab?
Cleaning up your movement is probably the best thing to initially do as Marth. How effectively can you wave land, how complex is your dash dance, and how well do you get in and out of your actions? JC all your grabs and practice uair chains against all the characters.
Marth isn't a very technical character but be more than comfortable with every form of movement.

Other than that:
Play People. Optimize your decision making. Learn how to edge guard. Grab. Uthrow. Uair. Read and post in the Melee Marth Discussion "Ask Dr.Peepee about Cactuar stuff" thread and really just go there in general for all things Marth. It is probably the best place on the forum as far as actual content goes.
It obviously won't help you that much with PM specific MUs though.

Shin_Mazinkaiser

Smash Journeyman
Wavedash, L-cancel everything, learn his chaingrabs and combos on spacies. That should be something to get you started.
I am currently working on the Space Animal chaingrab. L-canceling is already a thing I can do. My wavedashing will need work, yes. But I need character specific things to start learning so I don't start playing Marth like Captain Falcon with a sword.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
Learn your bad DI follow ups (play level 9 computers that usually DI your fthrow and bthrow in very hard)
Then learn what to do against proper DI

Marth really isn't a combo heavy character but learn the combos he does have (watch game play). Not sure what you want, watch Dr. peepee's marth, mew2kings, pewpewu's and whoever else. And I'm telling you movement is the most important thing you can practice even though it's pretty mindless.

So really, watch gameplay, ask questions in melee char. discussion thread, practice movement.

Shin_Mazinkaiser

Smash Journeyman
Learn your bad DI follow ups (play level 9 computers that usually DI your fthrow and bthrow in very hard)
Then learn what to do against proper DI

Marth really isn't a combo heavy character but learn the combos he does have (watch game play). Not sure what you want, watch Dr. peepee's marth, mew2kings, pewpewu's and whoever else. And I'm telling you movement is the most important think you can practice.

So really, watch gameplay, ask questions in melee char. discussion thread, practice movement.
Will do.

Mithost

Smash Ace
Locked in a safe floating in the Atlantic Ocean.
I think marth's most important tool is his spacing. It's important as every character, but for marth it is the core of his entire moveset. When playing against human opponents, ALWAYS have them in tipper FSmash range, no closer. When you have momentum, learn where they want to retreat to, and be there waiting with one of your well spaced attacks. Marth is fast enough to abuse his ridiculous range, but only when you don't have to waste time nudging yourself 2 steps to the right in order to punish whatever is coming.

Everyone above me is right too. Focus on movement-based tech skill so you can always be in the exact spot your opponents don't want you to be in.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
I also think Marth's non-tip attacks can be useful. They can be used to keep the opponent in close to continue combos. However I'd refrain from hitting with mid/inner blade attacks until the opponent gets to higher percentages (60's or so) since they have notably less hit stun and can easily be retaliated against due to the crappy end lag on most of Marth's attacks. I will note that non-tipper attacks don't do so well against space animals in my experience but they're easy enough to juggle with up throws, up tilt up air as a few others have said probably, however other big targets like Bowser and Ganondorf and pretty much any other character except for Jiggz (just give that puff ball a few good tipper up tilts) are much easier to combo with no-tip slashes. Just another strategy to consider to mix things up a bit. Mastering the basics (wavedashing / movement and the like) makes this a lot easier too as also mentioned previously.

Braverman

Smash Rookie
im new here but i was wondering if there is a specific way to deal with ike ledgegaurding by just charging an f smash. an example is if i am below stage on FD against an ike im usually dead beacuse he will just charge an f smash until when im forced to up b and kill me with it. i was wondering if there is a way to prevent this from happening. im still trying to learn the basics with marth. i can wavedash and waveland and i do some fancy waveland to grab or w/e but im just learning the ropes. :colorful:

Rarik

Smash Journeyman
If it's impossible to delay your Up-B until he's forced to release F-smash then I would recommend learning how to sweetspot the ledge with Up-B so you can get the invincibility frames. Then you have some different options from there such as letting go of the ledge for when he inevitability uses F-Smash and recovering during the ending lag.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
im new here but i was wondering if there is a specific way to deal with ike ledgegaurding by just charging an f smash. an example is if i am below stage on FD against an ike im usually dead beacuse he will just charge an f smash until when im forced to up b and kill me with it. i was wondering if there is a way to prevent this from happening. im still trying to learn the basics with marth. i can wavedash and waveland and i do some fancy waveland to grab or w/e but im just learning the ropes. :colorful:

If you get the timing down. Marth can use his recovery to where he barely grabs the ledge on FD, as well as pretty much any other stage. Just try mixing it up a bit. Since your opponent most likely thinks you're gonna wait until the last minute to recover, use your Up B early to try to throw him off. His DI will most likely be messed up because he's holding forward smash and try to do it so you grab the ledge instead of landing because that land lag is terrible. Or you could do a crap ton of stalling with Side B if you're close enough to FD and just when you think you're going to go under the stage use Up B. Normally by this time the f-smash has charged so you can recover, possibly hit Ike and grab the ledge. Or you're low enough that you grab the ledge just outside of Ike's f smash hit boxes. It may not sound possible but it is, I've done it quite a bit with Ike's attacks, as well as with Bowser's (including Giga Bowser's) every smash. It most likely won't work with Ike's Charged B attack though since it goes right through the stage.

Braverman

Smash Rookie
If you get the timing down. Marth can use his recovery to where he barely grabs the ledge on FD, as well as pretty much any other stage. Just try mixing it up a bit. Since your opponent most likely thinks you're gonna wait until the last minute to recover, use your Up B early to try to throw him off. His DI will most likely be messed up because he's holding forward smash and try to do it so you grab the ledge instead of landing because that land lag is terrible. Or you could do a crap ton of stalling with Side B if you're close enough to FD and just when you think you're going to go under the stage use Up B. Normally by this time the f-smash has charged so you can recover, possibly hit Ike and grab the ledge. Or you're low enough that you grab the ledge just outside of Ike's f smash hit boxes. It may not sound possible but it is, I've done it quite a bit with Ike's attacks, as well as with Bowser's (including Giga Bowser's) every smash. It most likely won't work with Ike's Charged B attack though since it goes right through the stage.
thanks man ill give it a shot also another question would be in the link vs marth match-up i have a lot of problems with projectiles. another example of this is when my friend he will use arrows and boomerangs and never approach and just shield grab my approach. the counter i came up with for this is a shield breaker approach but it is punishable if he wavedashes or rolls away. what is the best way to deal with this i feel like if he is not even using bombs and im getting grabbed im doing something wrong thanks for the reply :D

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Against Link I usually swat the projectiles away and/or approach from the air. I play Link myself so I'm pretty good at knowing what to expect from him as far as the projectiles go. Marth's jab should take out both boomerang and arrow. Although I usually just try to perfect shield the arrows depending on how much they get charged. Gotta have good timing for that though.

GingaBread

Smash Cadet
For Link projectiles I personally use Marth's fair. It's really forgiving with timing since there's so much sword in front of you. If you sh and don't fastfall you can either waveland toward him after stopping a projectile or if he's pressuring you can fair again briefly before continuing to close in. Also maybe try a little ledgeplay. One missed boomerang can go a long way.

Kris Sweetser

Smash Cadet
another cool thing is you can just dash under links arrows , useful against arrow spammers

D

Deleted member

I think marth's most important tool is his spacing.

Marth's best tool is his ability to be incredibly threatening without having to ever commit or over-extend. This allows him to be much more aggressive than most characters in a game where a pro-active strategy yields a ton of margin and dramatically increases your win rate.

shadow0x0cloud

Smash Apprentice
This is what i suggest if you plan on playing marth seriously. Matter fact, even if you already know marth you should give this a look.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
This is what i suggest if you plan on playing marth seriously. Matter fact, even if you already know marth you should give this a look.
I was just gonna suggest that! (Was at work on my phone when I responded earlier haha)

I've picked up quite a few tips from him.

well said...

That was a joke of course. Lol. But really by All I mean you can pretty much jump out of shield and do any aerial (whichever one is most appropriate)... or WD OOS for grabs and other such things. His OOS options are pretty spectacular.

NoLife

Smash Apprentice
i am actually a very technical player ive been playing for a while and i no how to SHFFL and wavedash and other simple stuff like that and even more advanced techniques like pivioting, basically i no how to do everything in that video and can do it consistently, so i no what im doing in that regard but i was just wondering how to deal with immense shield pressure form like fox or falco or someone any suggestions

Braverman

Smash Rookie
actually i just watched that stream yesterday. i came to the realization i have a lot of work to do. defiantly everyone who is trying to learn marth should watch kens tutorial at least once.

D

Deleted member

whats a good out of shield option for marth

don't block, move or attack their attacks instead.

if you absolutely must block, WD OOS away and don't look for a way to hit them until they've lost all leverage on you.

Top Bottom