• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New player, local tourney soon. Any tips?

LeeroyJenkinz13

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I'm extremely new to the smash scene, especially SSBB. I am going to be playing in a local tourney on the 18th, but I am pretty new to the game right now. When I say pretty new, I mean that I started playing the game yesterday. I've played plenty of smash in my gaming career (both Smash 64 and Melee), but I am pretty new to Brawl. My goal is to practice daily for this upcoming tournament in hopes that I can somehow win. I will be playing Olimar throughout this week and during the tournament. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

I am doing a youtube series called Leeroy's Ten Days to Tourney where I vlog about my progress and show some clips of my play. I think it will be interesting to see how I progress, and I'm looking forward to documenting this whole tournament thing. If you guys could give it a look and give me some tips, it would be greatly appreciated! Like I said, I am completely new to this game. I'm sure there are many tricks in this game such as teching or Z-canceling (N64 term, I know), but I don't know what they are or how to do them. I've also been looking through many Olimar guides, but they are pretty dense and it's hard to know where to start. I'm learning a lot, but it would be nice if someone could guide me to becoming a better player. Thanks in advance for any help I receive!

If you are interested, here is a link to the first video in my youtube series (no gameplay in this one): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWbnmM3PEXw

Second video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNxL4VuzU6Q

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Great to hear your interest into competitive SSBB. I personally have only been doing it for a few months. Olimar is a pretty different character when it comes to smash. The main things you're gonna want is 1. Pikmin management 2. Don't over-extend the ledge to much or you may be gimped. 3. Learn to Whistle! 4. Pivot-grab alot.

1. Pikmin management is a bit self explanatory I suppose, but it separates the good Olimars from the best. Try and always see how many pikmin you have, and which one will be your next. Also you should learn what each one excels in. ( For instance Blues have the longest grab range and great back and up throws.) When you can learn how to use each pikmin to their fullest I think it will definitely help your play. You will be maximizing damage while maintaining good pikim.

2. Don't go over the ledge to much. It can cost you matches which you should have one. Don't get over zealous, and if you don't like just standing around throw some pikmin at your opponent. When you get good with trajectory you can start to gimp people over the edge with purples, or just rack up nice damage with whites and the others.

3. Whistling is probably Olimar's biggest asset. If you whistle an attack you get super armor. This can be used to greatly extend your stocks. I would recommend learning this fast if you want to take your Olimar to the next level.

4. Grabbing for Olimar is already one of his best attacks. Pivot Grabbing takes his fantastic grabs to the next level. So just Grab alot.

Ending tips: Look up players like Dabuz or Nietono. Those are who I really studied to learn Olimar ( Nietono mainly).
Hope this helps. Also I only touched the tip of the iceberg on playing Olimar. There are some really great guides on how he works, and I recommend you read them so you can understand how he functions.

LeeroyJenkinz13

Smash Rookie
Great to hear your interest into competitive SSBB. I personally have only been doing it for a few months. Olimar is a pretty different character when it comes to smash. The main things you're gonna want is 1. Pikmin management 2. Don't over-extend the ledge to much or you may be gimped. 3. Learn to Whistle! 4. Pivot-grab alot.

1. Pikmin management is a bit self explanatory I suppose, but it separates the good Olimars from the best. Try and always see how many pikmin you have, and which one will be your next. Also you should learn what each one excels in. ( For instance Blues have the longest grab range and great back and up throws.) When you can learn how to use each pikmin to their fullest I think it will definitely help your play. You will be maximizing damage while maintaining good pikim.

2. Don't go over the ledge to much. It can cost you matches which you should have one. Don't get over zealous, and if you don't like just standing around throw some pikmin at your opponent. When you get good with trajectory you can start to gimp people over the edge with purples, or just rack up nice damage with whites and the others.

3. Whistling is probably Olimar's biggest asset. If you whistle an attack you get super armor. This can be used to greatly extend your stocks. I would recommend learning this fast if you want to take your Olimar to the next level.

4. Grabbing for Olimar is already one of his best attacks. Pivot Grabbing takes his fantastic grabs to the next level. So just Grab alot.

Ending tips: Look up players like Dabuz or Nietono. Those are who I really studied to learn Olimar ( Nietono mainly).
Hope this helps. Also I only touched the tip of the iceberg on playing Olimar. There are some really great guides on how he works, and I recommend you read them so you can understand how he functions.

Haha, thanks for the reply. The tournament was actually yesterday. But I did extremely well! Out of 16 players or so, I got third! I feel like I did great after playing the game for only a week and a half prior. It was a double elimination tournament and I lost to the same guy twice (once in the very first round, and once in loser's finals). He beat me with fox both times, and ended up taking second place (he took grand finals to a best of three because he came up from losers, and almost won the final match). I couldn't quite deal with how quick fox is.

But again, thanks for the reply anyway. I learned a ton over the past two weeks from this site, especially those four things you talked about. The only reason I won my loser's semifinal game was because of whistle armor (OP), stopping a peach combo that would have killed me. It was quite the experience, and I made podium! My computer is getting repaired right now (I'm on my phone right now), but I will upload tournament footage to my youtube page when I get it back!

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Hmm you said you had trouble with a fox. A few things that can relieve some of his pressure is shield after a lot of of your moves to cover your tracks. Also it can be helpful to chaingrab him when he is at starting percent. It can get him to about 30% if you do it right. (Just downthrow him with any pikmin that isn't red or purple one after another, and you can usually follow with an U-Smash.) Also you can try to let him attack you, shield it, then smash him before he can respond. That's how I fight a lot of people, because they don't expect to many people to be using the wait to strike method.

Also congrats on 3rd hope you do better next time, and sorry I didn't get here sooner.

Top Bottom