• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Marth player with some questions

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
  • Can Marth not be grabbed out of dash like in Melee?
  • How strict is the tipper in Project M? Is it the same as in Melee?
  • Can I still Shorthop > Fast Fall > F-Air > L-Cancel > Pivot Grab?
  • What are some things that remain unchanged from Brawl/are inspired by his Brawl self, if any?
  • What are some good strategies for a Marth player to use?
  • KFC?
  • Which is better? Campy Marth, Aggressive Marth, or Campy/Aggressive Hybrid Marth?
  • What are some bad match-ups for Marth?

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
1. I wouldn't know since I never REALLY played Melee Marth. Sorry ^^;
2. Since it's Melee Marth, it's probably the same.
3. Probably?
4. His backwards Glide Toss from Brawl. The distance on that was ridiculous.
5. Spacing, juggle all day, try to KO as early as possible, etc.
6. lol wut
7. From what others have said, Hybrid Marth tends to fair better.
8. Sheik.

But I came into PM Marth from Brawl, so....yeah. Someone else who's played Marth longer than I have probably knows better, XD.

Bukowski On Ice

Smash Cadet
1. Marth can be grabbed out of dash (in Melee too)
2. Tippers are exactly the same as they are in Melee. The visual swipe for the animation is different, showing the tipper range as more white as you move further to the tip of Marth's sword. A helpful indicator.
3. Yes! The pivot grabbing system works just like Brawl's (as far as I can tell since it's much more difficult in Melee). Although I don't think that a pivot grab after an l-caneled fair is guaranteed.
4. ^The gilde toss as LordShade said. Also the pivot grab mechanic. Only the things that the brawl system has allowed. Nothing was brought back from brawl Marth except his taunts.
5. Up throws for u-tilt juggles/u-airs. Chain throws (which you have on many MANY characters). F-throw to f-smash (which works on almost everyone in the game right now as far as i've tested). Retreating fairs, d-tilt approaches, etc. There are full threads on this.
6. Ken Fair Combo? Yes...?
7. It depends on who you are playing, how you play, and what character you're facing.
8. Shiek is actually easier now since she can't just fair you after a grab if you DI correctly in PM. Link is a tough one since his range is now closer to Marths and he has many more tools and options now. MK, if you end up below him but the MU isn't too bad. Mewtwo is easyish to hit but very hard to kill and he can approach you with teleports etc. ZELDA if you don't know when to shield. DIDDY KONG. If you don't have a good item game, you will get destroyed. Basically any character with a great recovery and ranged tools to keep you out and rack up dmg. LUCAS as well, since he can get in and wreck. I highly suggest picking up a secondary for your bad MUs.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
6. Ken Fair Combo? Yes...?
I didn't think anyone was going to get that.
8. Shiek is actually easier now since she can't just fair you after a grab if you DI correctly in PM. Link is a tough one since his range is now closer to Marths and he has many more tools and options now. MK, if you end up below him but the MU isn't too bad. Mewtwo is easyish to hit but very hard to kill and he can approach you with teleports etc. ZELDA if you don't know when to shield. DIDDY KONG. If you don't have a good item game, you will get destroyed. Basically any character with a great recovery and ranged tools to keep you out and rack up dmg. LUCAS as well, since he can get in and wreck. I highly suggest picking up a secondary for your bad MUs.
I secondary Sheik, Zelda, and Lucas but I don't know if that is good coverage of the MU spread.

I also have a new question:

• Is Marth's grab range longer then Yoshi's like in Melee?

UMR | donmk

RIP PM
still, considering Yoshi is supposed to have one of the "long range grapple grabs", the fact that Marth's range is longer/even/slightly shorter is incredible.
Just tested it in the training room.

Yoshi's standing grab reaches 1.5 squares, Marth's reaches just over one square (maybe 1.25, can't tell exactly). However, Marth gets more distance out of his jump canceled grab than Yoshi by about half a square, although this might just be because I'm more proficient at jump canceled grabs with Marth than Yoshi.

The_Enlightenment_

Banned via Warnings
Search pm on the smash bros wiki and you should be able to access both universal and character specific alterations for every build

KariteSama

Smash Apprentice
Just tested it in the training room.

Yoshi's standing grab reaches 1.5 squares, Marth's reaches just over one square (maybe 1.25, can't tell exactly). However, Marth gets more distance out of his jump canceled grab than Yoshi by about half a square, although this might just be because I'm more proficient at jump canceled grabs with Marth than Yoshi.
Yoshi should never JC grab though...

As far as campy vs aggro, it depends on the matchup. Some characters you can just keep hitboxes out and wreck them others you have to be more patient with dashdancing and like such as.

Also, fade away fairs are grrrrreat

Last edited:

Charby

Smash Journeyman
  • Can Marth not be grabbed out of dash like in Melee?
  • How strict is the tipper in Project M? Is it the same as in Melee?
  • Can I still Shorthop > Fast Fall > F-Air > L-Cancel > Pivot Grab?
  • What are some things that remain unchanged from Brawl/are inspired by his Brawl self, if any?
  • What are some good strategies for a Marth player to use?
  • KFC?
  • Which is better? Campy Marth, Aggressive Marth, or Campy/Aggressive Hybrid Marth?
  • What are some bad match-ups for Marth?
  • Yes (Fair Lcancel Dash on shield can't be punished unless with shine Ken explains it in his tutorial if you are refering to that)
  • It's easier
  • Yes and it's even better now
  • The RAR and pivot grab, side B is also way better than in melee
  • Feint the opponent and grab him
  • i guess
  • The one you like the most
  • Charizard for me at least, he has more range than you and is realy heavy

Last edited:

Ben Hicks

Smash Rookie
Since no one was chastised for starting this Marth Noob thread, I have a question about chain grabs. Who can you chain grab/what throw do you use? Also, Ken Combo (Fair Dair), I have seen it used but cannot seem to set it up, and tips?

KariteSama

Smash Apprentice
up throw on spacies chains to 30ish percent. just watch m2k vs dr peepee on fd. its damn clinic. ken combo requires a weak hit fair so it has to be spaced just right. usually i get it after hitting my opponent from under a platform or something like that. as for tips id say remember the tip. lol. also get good off stage. edgeguarding is 99% of smash and separates the good from the great. check out kdj vids for edgeguard antics.

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Since no one was chastised for starting this Marth Noob thread, I have a question about chain grabs. Who can you chain grab/what throw do you use? Also, Ken Combo (Fair Dair), I have seen it used but cannot seem to set it up, and tips?
Fthrow can be chained on most of the cast up to three times at 0%. Can be used for very early kills.

Ben Hicks

Smash Rookie
Fthrow can be chained on most of the cast up to three times at 0%. Can be used for very early kills.
I have seen it done on vids online, do you just fthrow dash fthrow dash, or is it fthrow wd?

DJ _ICE

Smash Apprentice
Fthrow - dash - jump canceled grab - fthrow
The thing about fthrow chains at really low (usually zero percent) is that it works really only on characters that are light (light characters have Marth leave the throwing animation faster) and non floaties (so they don't go very far when thrown). On heavier characters it takes too long and if the enemy DIs away, they can get away earlier than expected. If they don't DI far enough though, they put themself in ftilt or fsmash tipper range. If they do DI far enough they can avoid all followups. Know the distances where you can regrab, when to end with ftilt or fsmash or when to stop trying to followup for the best results.

Top Bottom