• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Marth Main

willthunder

Smash Cadet
NNID
willthunder
3DS FC
1032-1459-3732
Hello there. I'm willthunder(don't know why I'm telling you this it's right, freaking over there <--) and I am a new Marth main. I'm completely new on the competitive Melee scene and don't know any real character specific techniques(I know how to WD, DD, and L-cancel). I've gone through the list of 30(?) guides all around the best techs but I'm a little oblivious of when to utilize these in matches and which are actually worth practicing(no offence intended to those who complied those lists but it is very overwhelming). If anyone can give me the best place to start with Marth and his techs I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

DV8R001

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1435-4406-8453
Hello there. I'm willthunder(don't know why I'm telling you this it's right, freaking over there <--) and I am a new Marth main. I'm completely new on the competitive Melee scene and don't know any real character specific techniques(I know how to WD, DD, and L-cancel). I've gone through the list of 30(?) guides all around the best techs but I'm a little oblivious of when to utilize these in matches and which are actually worth practicing(no offence intended to those who complied those lists but it is very overwhelming). If anyone can give me the best place to start with Marth and his techs I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!
Learn effective ways to make grabs, practice spacing, do not get in the trigger happy forward smashing habit, watch PewPewU, PPMD, and M2K's Marths, and pretty much just play the character and study Marth's match-up's. It's gonna take a LOT of time until you learn a substantial amount of him, just keep practicing him.

Hunybear

Smash Ace
First I'd like to state some things!

Tech is not the end all be all way of improvement. Melee is a game of variables in which two opponents pick there options and the one who picked the better option comes out with the more advantageous outcome. All Learning new Tech does is add new variables to choose from in these situations. A lot of new players fall into the trap of practicing new variables without understanding what they are already capable of.

Prior to learning new tech, practice and understand the speed and ranges of all your move set and movement options.
This is exceedingly important for Marth and you should cycle through them ALL regularly. I would even go as far as to go into training mode and watch the slowed down animations of all your move set.

After understanding your moves you'll have an easier time learning, understanding and implementing new tech into your game.

Helpful advice
Write down a list (Actually write it down) of everything you can't do. Through out the months of playing, add things and cross them off, but only tackle one thing a time.

Study the tech you want to learn prior to practice. Learning things intuitively is ok, but it takes longer and leaves a lot more room for errors. So before dedicating hours into practice make sure your actually practicing right.

Be mindful and deliberate with every input. Do not auto pilot!

When studying the tech you've decided to learn, Take notes! Things you feel will be beneficial to practice and application. Remember if they took time out of there day to write it you should probably take time to write it as well.

BEGINER TECH LIST!

• Wave dash
  • Wave lands
  • Jump cancel grabs
  • Ledge planking (ledge grab, ledge hop, regrab ledge)
  • Raising and falling areals
  • L canceling
  • Short hop
  • Fast Fall
  • Dash dance
  • Fox trot
  • Run cancel (crouch during run animation)
  • Teching
Notes:
When you air dodge into the ground (wavedash/waveland) you'll be in 10 frames of lag
When you press a jump button, your character squats first. This is Marth jump squat and it lasts 4 frames. When you let go of the jump button during this time you will short hop. T
his is also your window for the grab input to perform a Jump Cancel grab (JC)
When you grab the ledge you can't move for 7 frames.
Understand that there's different heights of areals. Do a fair as soon as you start your jump. Then jump again and try to do one right before you land. If you press any trigger button 7 frames before landing you will L- Cancle. You can only do this when you are in an areal animation. It will double the speed of your landing animation, effectively halfing your land lag.
You can fast fall by flicking your joy stick down at any time your charecter is descending in the air normal. Something to note is when you are at the apex of your jump find the soonest possible time you can Fast fall (FF)
Know how far you can dash and when you dash turns into run. You can dash dance anytime during your dash animation. NOT RUN.
Teching is complicated... So just remember you have a 20 frame window to press L/R before impacting the ground/wall/ ceiling.

Once you've mastered these
(mastered meaning, can do 20/20 times without mess ups & know there practical applications) move on to Out of Shield options and SHFFLing

Remember to do your homework and good luck with Melee! Everyone's glad to have you join the community!

Last edited:

willthunder

Smash Cadet
NNID
willthunder
3DS FC
1032-1459-3732
Learn effective ways to make grabs, practice spacing, do not get in the trigger happy forward smashing habit, watch PewPewU, PPMD, and M2K's Marths, and pretty much just play the character and study Marth's match-up's. It's gonna take a LOT of time until you learn a substantial amount of him, just keep practicing him.
Thank you so much for the advice. I've already learned not to make a out of f-smashing in neutral(due to SSBM Tutorials video over Marth neutral game). I'll get to work on learning the match-up's Marth and how to make effective grabs and space well.

First I'd like to state some things!

Tech is not the end all be all way of improvement. Melee is a game of variables in which two opponents pick there options and the one who picked the better option comes out with the more advantageous outcome. All Learning new Tech does is add new variables to choose from in these situations. A lot of new players fall into the trap of practicing new variables without understanding what they are already capable of.

Prior to learning new tech, practice and understand the speed and ranges of all your move set and movement options.
This is exceedingly important for Marth and you should cycle through them ALL regularly. I would even go as far as to go into training mode and watch the slowed down animations of all your move set.

After understanding your moves you'll have an easier time learning, understanding and implementing new tech into your game.

Helpful advice
Write down a list (Actually write it down) of everything you can't do. Through out the months of playing, add things and cross them off, but only tackle one thing a time.

Study the tech you want to learn prior to practice. Learning things intuitively is ok, but it takes longer and leaves a lot more room for errors. So before dedicating hours into practice make sure your actually practicing right.

Be mindful and deliberate with every input. Do not auto pilot!

When studying the tech you've decided to learn, Take notes! Things you feel will be beneficial to practice and application. Remember if they took time out of there day to write it you should probably take time to write it as well.

BEGINER TECH LIST!

• Wave dash
  • Wave lands
  • Jump cancel grabs
  • Ledge planking (ledge grab, ledge hop, regrab ledge)
  • Raising and falling areas
  • L canceling
  • Short hop
  • Fast Fall
  • Dash dance
  • Fox trot
  • Run cancel (crouch during run animation)
  • Teching
Notes:
When you air dodge into the ground (wavedash/waveland) you'll be in 10 frames of lag
When you press a jump button, your character squats first. This is Marth jump squat and it lasts 4 frames. When you let go of the jump button during this time you will short hop. T
his is also your window for the grab input to perform a Jump Cancel grab (JC)
When you grab the ledge you can't move for 7 frames.
Understand that there's different heights of areals. Do a fair as soon as you start your jump. Then jump again and try to do one right before you land. If you press any trigger button 7 frames before landing you will L- Cancle. You can only do this when you are in an areal animation. It will double the speed of your landing animation, effectively halfing your land lag.
You can fast fall by flicking your joy stick down at any time your charecter is descending in the air normal. Something to note is when you are at the apex of your jump find the soonest possible time you can Fast fall (FF)
Know how far you can dash and when you dash turns into run. You can dash dance anytime during your dash animation. NOT RUN.
Teching is complicated... So just remember you have a 20 frame window to press L/R before impacting the ground/wall/ ceiling.

Once you've mastered these
(mastered meaning, can do 20/20 times without mess ups & know there practical applications) move on to Out of Shield options and SHFFLing

Remember to do your homework and good luck with Melee! Everyone's glad to have you join the community!
Thank you sooooo much for all this advice! I've made a notebook like you suggested where I can keep track of my basic techs and also dedicated a page to the frames of lag, the reasons to perform the tech, and any useful information I might need when I perform and practice the techs.

:)Thank You!:)

ChaoI16I

Smash Rookie
I also just started training as a marth main who is newish to melee. If you are able to play over netplay we could practice together sometime :)

A_Reverie

Smash Apprentice
One thing I'd like to add is to always try to have the right mentality. Training any skill takes patience, requiring lots of time and commitment. Sometimes you'll feel like you're not making any progress. I'd like to encourage you to go at your own pace. One of the worst things you can do is fatigue yourself to the point where your training is less productive. Also, remember to just take a break now and then. If you're playing friendlies with someone for a long time, pick a different character for a game or two and just goof around. Good luck to you!

AstroHamsta

Smash Cadet
The tip of the Falchion sword is mainly the most effective part of Marth's moveset. Try learning the spacing of getting the perfect tipped attacks.

DeadPigeon

Smash Apprentice
The tip of the Falchion sword is mainly the most effective part of Marth's moveset. Try learning the spacing of getting the perfect tipped attacks.
This isn't really true. It just does more damage and has more knockback. Hitting with the non tip can be better for comboing depending on character and percent.

Holy Wars

Smash Rookie
Like everyone is saying, don't be so worried about tech skill. That's something I see a lot of lower level players do and it doesn't help most of the time. Worry about spacing, grabs, and knowing what moves combo with eachother. If you are up to it, I would love to play Netplay with you sometime, just message me.

Top Bottom