• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Marth Main

Strips

Smash Rookie
Hey, I picked up Marth about a Month ago and really want to start going to tournaments. I'm not that good having only recently started and don't have many people to practice with. Most of my friends prefer Brawl over melee and my only other friend who does play melee isn't very good. I don't get much practice against real players and mostly just play against level 9 CPUs. Right now I can consistently wavedash, waveland, dash dance, foxtrot, pivot grab, pivot fsmash, tipper fair, dair, uair, utilt, and ftilt. I can L cancel but have trouble doing it consistently or forget to do it. I also have trouble wavelanding onto the stage from the ledge and properly spacing my fsmashes. Any advice would be great thanks :)

Hughie

Smash Lad
You seem to be in the same situation as I am. My friends who I can consistently play with prefer Brawl and the one who like Melee has no tech skill.
My advice: Read threads on what your looking for. Most threads are pretty active so if you ask a question you'll get an answer in at least a few days. There's also no best way to practice alone. High level CPUs are pretty bad to practice with since they just jab>jab>jab>jab over and over. Either plug in a second controller and practice tech skill or play against level 1s if you want a character to move around the stage.

Everything gets better with practice, and don't ask 'How do I L-Cancel I can't do it', etc because no one can really help with that, so just keep practicing.

I've been attending tournaments for over a year now, so when you see a tournament in your area, go for it. It's one of the best experiences you'll ever have. I'm only your age too (your profile says you're 14) and nobody will give you a hard time.

Side question: Whereabouts are you? I could point you in the directions of some tournaments.

Last edited:

Strips

Smash Rookie
Im in North Jersey
You seem to be in the same situation as I am. My friends who I can consistently play with prefer Brawl and the one who like Melee has no tech skill.
My advice: Read threads on what your looking for. Most threads are pretty active so if you ask a question you'll get an answer in at least a few days. There's also no best way to practice alone. High level CPUs are pretty bad to practice with since they just jab>jab>jab>jab over and over. Either plug in a second controller and practice tech skill or play against level 1s if you want a character to move around the stage.

Everything gets better with practice, and don't ask 'How do I L-Cancel I can't do it', etc because no one can really help with that, so just keep practicing.

I've been attending tournaments for over a year now, so when you see a tournament in your area, go for it. It's one of the best experiences you'll ever have. I'm only your age too (your profile says you're 14) and nobody will give you a hard time.

Side question: Whereabouts are you? I could point you in the directions of some tournaments.
m im in t

SAUS

Smash Ace
My advice is to look for your local scene. Find the players in your area and attend some smash fests. You will learn a ton by playing people who actually play the game and who have already (most likely) attended tournaments.

Other than that, keep practicing the basics. You mentioned some things you can't do consistently (like L-cancelling), so work on those :) I think the game becomes very awesome when you realise how much room there is to improve and figure out what you can/need to work on. Getting utterly destroyed by strong players is one of the best sources for inspiration.

Strips

Smash Rookie
My advice is to look for your local scene. Find the players in your area and attend some smash fests. You will learn a ton by playing people who actually play the game and who have already (most likely) attended tournaments.

Other than that, keep practicing the basics. You mentioned some things you can't do consistently (like L-cancelling), so work on those :) I think the game becomes very awesome when you realise how much room there is to improve and figure out what you can/need to work on. Getting utterly destroyed by strong players is one of the best sources for inspiration.
Ive been looking for some tournaments but school has gotten in the way for most of the tournaments ive been planning on going to. Im hoping to find a tournament during spring break since ill have the most amount of time then. Ive also found a gamers paradise tournament but that isnt until next year :/

SAUS

Smash Ace
Ive been looking for some tournaments but school has gotten in the way for most of the tournaments ive been planning on going to. Im hoping to find a tournament during spring break since ill have the most amount of time then. Ive also found a gamers paradise tournament but that isnt until next year :/
Don't just look for tournaments, you have to find the community in your area so that you can go meet and play with them :) Not even in tournaments. In my area (and I believe it is similar in many areas), we have a facebook group and if someone can host, they just post on it and people show up. Nothing on the line except for some friendly stuff. We do crew battles where the losing crew pays for pizza sometimes :D But anyway, back to my point, you shouldn't only play other people during tournaments, you need to play them outside of them. There are not enough tournaments for you to learn the whole game from - you need people to play with.

Strips

Smash Rookie
Don't just look for tournaments, you have to find the community in your area so that you can go meet and play with them :) Not even in tournaments. In my area (and I believe it is similar in many areas), we have a facebook group and if someone can host, they just post on it and people show up. Nothing on the line except for some friendly stuff. We do crew battles where the losing crew pays for pizza sometimes :D But anyway, back to my point, you shouldn't only play other people during tournaments, you need to play them outside of them. There are not enough tournaments for you to learn the whole game from - you need people to play with.
Oh alright the only problem with that is everyone ive asked abou smash either doesnt know about it or plays brawl

SAUS

Smash Ace
I literally never used my facebook account until I started playing smash again recently :p I pretty much only use it now as a means to talk to smash players. And no worries, I hope you find some people to play with :D

Strips

Smash Rookie
I literally never used my facebook account until I started playing smash again recently :p I pretty much only use it now as a means to talk to smash players. And no worries, I hope you find some people to play with :D
Thanks for your help hopefully ill see you in a tournament sometime soon :)

Top Bottom