• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Mario

NotLiam

Smash Rookie
Hey what's up I'm Liam...
New to the smash scene but soon enough my name will be out there helpin to stop all the Mario disrespect. I've got all the basics down (wavedashing L cancels all that) but I have a few questions.

Is it a bad habit that I use R to wave dash and L for L cancels and c stick for aerials ? Or does that not matter.
Because I know Mario should be able to SH Bair waveland and I can't get the bair out fast enough it seems.

Also is there any good way to practice Up b wall jump without jumping off yoshis story 99 times and praying

I'm east coast. MD to be more specific. If anyone interested in training with me that'd be awesome. I plan on going to Xanadu weeklies after my license is no longer suspended lol. But don't expect to see me on stream I doubt I'll even make it out of pools for a while haha

Last edited:

Sheepomg

Smash Rookie
Hi Liam,

The button scheme one uses is mostly personal preference. However, there are always reasons to choose a different way to execute moves. I live by this rule: if you see a way to improve yourself, then you have to do it... Even if it requires going back to square one and grinding it out.

I played World of Warcraft for years and became quite successful. Incase you're not familiar with the game, a keyboard and mouse constitute one's controller. One "binds" moves to keys and creates their own key-bind layout. Whenever I thought up a more efficient way to key-bind, i immediately employed it though it often lead back to a bit of a grind. With practice, the key-binds became second nature and i reaped the benefits of more efficient play. If i had not done this multiple times as my knowledge of the game increased, then i doubt i would have succeeded in the game.

As time goes on and you learn more about the game and how you want to play it, you may see the need to alter your button scheme.

Now on to answer some of your specific questions.

To waveland after a bair, the bair must come out as soon as youre off the ground. The bair must come out fast enough so that its animation ends while mario is still in the air... before he hits the ground. This is how mario gains the options to waveland out of bair. A successful waveland will be marked by mario SILENTLY sliding after he hits the ground. If you hear a mario "whoop" noise, you've wavelanded too early. (Edit** this isnt true. I shouldve said this is one check to confirm that youre getting close to maximum length of the slide on the waveland. You could opt to waveland earlier and thus slide a shorter distance.)

You can bair waveland with the c- stick, but my fingers have not been fast enough to get both directions. I use analog stick to A for most bair wavelands, but there are situations where i use c-stick for the bair direction i can achieve.

One can use the c-stick, but the only way i myself could do this is by employing the "claw" grip: allowing me to get faster inputs on the c-stick post jump. I'm considering switching to this grip soon, and i would encourage you to do so.

Hope this helps,

Sheep

Last edited:

NotLiam

Smash Rookie
Hey thanks for replying so fast sheep. After scrolling through Mario forums for hours I didn't expect a reply for a while xD

I also played WoW back in lich king so that comparison was very helpful. I only asked because I know sometimes melee can be so technical there are certain things that are impossible without a specific button scheme. But after trying it with analog and a I'm starting to get the hang of it so thanks :)

Another question: I've been told that I can punish things like Marths f smash by just walk up shield and then wavedash in to grab or w/e but for that and a lot of other moves that I've tried that tactic on it seems like I get knocked back in my shield so much they have ample time to escape or spam the same move and punish my wavedash Oos. Should I not be trying to punish in that situation should I just wavedash back out of shield or am I just ducking up my timing somehow

TehGuitarLord

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Slice_O_Pie
3DS FC
1203-9544-5962
I would try waveshielding in, make sure u are holding shield when u do it (maybe try the inside of the sword), wavedash back, or think of something else. Also, the reason u may not have been able to sh bair with the c-stick is because ur right hand is doing so much work that it could be getting tired, but it's personal preference at the end of the day. Ur fingers could also be too slow, but I'm not gonna assume that. I usually do something like wavedash back, fireball, waveland, wavedash to grab, a shffl (anything but fair, maybe/maybe not uair despite how much my personal neutral game is centered around sh uairing). Wavedash back into cape might work, and then punish with a grab, fsmash, or downsmash too. I personally just play the situation safe and find an opening. Hope this helped.

TehGuitarLord

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Slice_O_Pie
3DS FC
1203-9544-5962
Np m8. Glad i was helpful. ;)

Can't wait to see if vgbc uploads a match or two from u at the xanadus. It would give me another resource and it would be cool to see u play.

Last edited:

a rookie

Smash Ace
Hey what's up I'm Liam...
New to the smash scene but soon enough my name will be out there helpin to stop all the Mario disrespect. I've got all the basics down (wavedashing L cancels all that) but I have a few questions.

Is it a bad habit that I use R to wave dash and L for L cancels and c stick for aerials ? Or does that not matter.
Because I know Mario should be able to SH Bair waveland and I can't get the bair out fast enough it seems.

Also is there any good way to practice Up b wall jump without jumping off yoshis story 99 times and praying

I'm east coast. MD to be more specific. If anyone interested in training with me that'd be awesome. I plan on going to Xanadu weeklies after my license is no longer suspended lol. But don't expect to see me on stream I doubt I'll even make it out of pools for a while haha
Welcome Liam, that's really NotLiam :troll: I'm A Rookie from SoCal and I also main Mario. Nice to meet you (:

I use R to WD and L for L cancels, so you're good. C-Stick for aerials usually makes things A LOT easier to execute. For example: trying to do a SH fair while pulling back is a lot easier w/ C-Stick since you still can pull back to maximum potential as for just raw A button aerials, you can pull back, but it's a a bit difficult IF you're not comfortable w/ it. Everything comes down to preference like @ S Sheepomg said.

Up-B wall jumps? Which ones are you talking about? The regular timings? Or the up-b fade away wall jumps? I'm gonna guess you mean the regular up-b wall jumps. If so, you can practice on two other stages comfortably. FD and DL. Just ride along the walls like you would in Yoshi's and at the peak of your up-b, wall jump(push away). It's just technical consistency at this point and when you got it, trust me you got it. Attempted about 15 up-b wall jumps yesterday and got all 15 on Yoshi's, so you can get it too :p Don't lose hope. Haha.

Unfortunately, I'm from California so I can't help you practice :( But if you have any other questions, just post them and me or anyone else here will assist you at our earliest convenience. Thank you for understanding (:

Top Bottom