• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Mario from Canada.

Neri

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone, I wanted to slip in after lurking around reading all these knowledge bombs you guys were dropping. I'm not new to Melee, I've been maining Luigi for the majority of my time playing. After reading many threads in the Mario forum, and watching videos at high level play, I think it's time for me to pick up and main Mario. I partly blame this on a rookie. Seriously man, superb play. You made me see the character in a new light.

I'm going to hit the lab to practice Mario, but I wanted to know if there were any tips that you could give to a beginner to Mario.

a rookie

Smash Ace
Some general tips would be:

-learn how to mix up your recovery, since it's actually mix-up heavy, which is good :p

-up air combos

-uptilt strings(uptilt -> grab, uptilt -> uptilt, uptilt -> fsmash, uptilt -> upair)

-learn the timing of the cape and recognize the hitbox on it

-bair wavelands are good baits/mix-ups

-up b wall jumping

-perfect wavelanding from the edge(the Mario timing is a little faster than Luigi's)

-what you can get off of grabs on certain characters and reacting to high % w/ fsmash(against fastfallers)

-dair combos

-relearn SHFFL'ing(since Mario's moves are a lot different, but especially dair and fair)

Other than that, you know tornado's capabilities from being a Luigi main and you should get used to wavedashing w/ only Mario pretty fast :p

P.S. - sorry for converting you into Marioism. It happens to 1 in 100,000 people and I guess you were the unlucky one. LOL.

Neri

Smash Rookie
I'll head out and try these right away, thanks for the tips! And nah, I don't regret it one bit, haha. I always saw myself as a fundamentals based player and Mario really amplifies it. I think the hardest things to get down will be SHFFL'ing with Mario and the Up B walljump, but I can't say for sure till I practice. Is there a specific timing on the UpB walljump or is it distant dependant?

Last edited:

TehGuitarLord

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Slice_O_Pie
3DS FC
1203-9544-5962
I'll head out and try these right away, thanks for the tips! And nah, I don't regret it one bit, haha. I always saw myself as a fundamentals based player and Mario really amplifies it. I think the hardest things to get down will be SHFFL'ing with Mario and the Up B walljump, but I can't say for sure till I practice. Is there a specific timing on the UpB walljump or is it distant dependant?
It has to do with a specific frame in the middle of the up b. There's a famous tutorial on YouTube. It is by far the hardest thing to do with Mario, but if learned can be extremely rewarding.

I've never had problems shffling with mario personally, but i started out with him and considering ur coming from a character with a really slow falling speed, it could be difficult for u.

Neri

Smash Rookie
Thanks a lot guys! It really helped. I'll continue to bring Mario to my community's weeklies and improve.

a rookie

Smash Ace
Thanks a lot guys! It really helped. I'll continue to bring Mario to my community's weeklies and improve.
Np man. There's enough of us here to basically answer any question you got. If you need help w/ MUs, as in approaching or edge guarding, just ask. I'll answer them here if need be (: I love helping people in general, so give me the most difficult scenarios/questions you can!

Top Bottom