• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New main over ganondorf?

AsianBoyKid

Smash Cadet
NNID
asianboykid
I've been having trouble using PM ganon as he is different fro melee ganon who I main. What should i do to improve my playing of him in PM or should i just drop him for a new character?

BladeOFLucas

Smash Journeyman
I mean, if you really don't adapt well to the changes, and if you want to main somebody else then do it. Don't ask us to help you make that decision, it is completely up to you. If you don't understand how to use him to his full potential but you want to, I highly recommend talking to PM Ganon mains and just practicing with him in PM. Find out if you like how he is in PM after you have a decent amount of experience playing him, and then make the decision yourself. Out of curiosity, what do you find troubling?

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
The plus side of dropping Ganon is that many people would agree literately all other characters are better. So play whoever you enjoy most. Explore the cast and see if there is any character that compels you to play them.

BladeOFLucas

Smash Journeyman
hipsterdude.jpg
The plus side of keeping him, hipsters main Ganon.

Last edited:

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
this is a really vague question op because none of us have seen you play or know how you adapt to change/what your playstyle is so there's literally no way we're going to be able to help you.

AsianBoyKid

Smash Cadet
NNID
asianboykid
I mean, if you really don't adapt well to the changes, and if you want to main somebody else then do it. Don't ask us to help you make that decision, it is completely up to you. If you don't understand how to use him to his full potential but you want to, I highly recommend talking to PM Ganon mains and just practicing with him in PM. Find out if you like how he is in PM after you have a decent amount of experience playing him, and then make the decision yourself. Out of curiosity, what do you find troubling?
Thank you this helps! I have trouble comboing out of side b, and using tilts properly. I will over the entire cast.

BladeOFLucas

Smash Journeyman
Thank you this helps! I have trouble comboing out of side b, and using tilts properly. I will over the entire cast.
I kind of figured your problem would be based around that, but no worries. F-tilt is thrown out as a "get away now" attack, same with d-tilt. As far as comboing out of side-b, it mostly just takes experience, but abuse your aerials and make sure to always l-cancel, es muy importante. U-air is a good follow for floaties, but a wiz-kick punish is also pretty conventional against most of your opponents, depending on teching.

AsianBoyKid

Smash Cadet
NNID
asianboykid
I kind of figured your problem would be based around that, but no worries. F-tilt is thrown out as a "get away now" attack, same with d-tilt. As far as comboing out of side-b, it mostly just takes experience, but abuse your aerials and make sure to always l-cancel, es muy importante. U-air is a good follow for floaties, but a wiz-kick punish is also pretty conventional against most of your opponents, depending on teching.
Already use many aerials, but tilts make sense now... Also when you say you need experience on the side b, do you mean reading your opponents tech afterwards to follow up?

BladeOFLucas

Smash Journeyman
Already use many aerials, but tilts make sense now... Also when you say you need experience on the side b, do you mean reading your opponents tech afterwards to follow up?
I mean knowing how various characters get sent flying, or how they can or can't tech, and then reading their DI or initiating a tech chase, that typically takes some experience. It also depends on whether you implement both grounded and aerial side b's or mostly one or the other.

AsianBoyKid

Smash Cadet
NNID
asianboykid
I mean knowing how various characters get sent flying, or how they can or can't tech, and then reading their DI or initiating a tech chase, that typically takes some experience. It also depends on whether you implement both grounded and aerial side b's or mostly one or the other.
Gotcha now, thanks!

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I'd like to add that there's a difference between a grounded Flame Choke and an aerial Flame Choke. The former sends the opponent straight to the ground, while the latter props them up a bit, allowing for a follow-up into a jab, tilt, or even a grab (fast-fallers are difficult to follow up on after an aerial Flame Choke though). So yeah, short-hopped Flame Chokes aren't bad. Just don't over rely on them, or the opponent will catch on and dodge accordingly.

j-slo-3

Smash Cadet
If you are somewhat familiar with Ganon and want to play a different character, I would recommend just playing falcon. He is pretty much an overall better character and has similar play styles.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
No, not really. Falcon mainly relies on using his mobility to punish unpunishable things and set up tech chases, while Ganon is more about spacing and overwhelming your opponent with massive hitboxes.

They do have similar movesets but that's about it.

To reply to the OP : play whoever you want. I personally play different characters in Melee Brawl and PM because all 3 games have a different feel.

Last edited:

j-slo-3

Smash Cadet
Saying that falcon punishes things that are unpunishable is contradictory. He might punish things that other characters can't because he's fast. but he clearly is able to so they aren't unpunishable. This being said they both rely well on good baiting and punishing even though they go about this in slightly different ways. However falcon does have a better tech chase and grab game with his speed, but tech chasing and spacing are both important parts of the game regardless of character.

Last edited:

BladeOFLucas

Smash Journeyman
Saying that falcon punishes things that are unpunishable is contradictory. He might punish things that other characters can't because he's fast. but he clearly is able to so they aren't unpunishable. This being said they both rely well on good baiting and punishing even though they go about this in slightly different ways. However falcon does have a better tech chase and grab game with his speed, but tech chasing and spacing are both important parts of the game regardless of character.
You really didn't need to comment on the punishing thing, it was obviously a play on words. And Falcon does not have a better grab game, Ganon probably has a better one, simply because of the plethora of options he has for follow-ups (d-throw for the win). I would even say that Ganondorf has a better approach, his fair is so much better for approaches than the knee (case in point), and his tilts are a lot better at getting people to back off (which really complements his neutral game). Ganon also has greater shield stun, which if you've ever tried dairing with both characters onto shields you know that there is a difference.

Top Bottom