• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Luigi Main

Wintry

Smash Cadet
Hi! I just started to play as Luigi in Sm4sh now, and I was getting used to his combos and different recovery style. Previously I had used characters like Marth and Ike, but I find Luigi to be more fun and I seem to be better with him. Below is my general game plan, so I'd like some help on things I can improve upon. Lemme know if I did something wrong here, excuse my n00bishness.

0-25%
Fireballs, d-Throws --> fAir --> nAir

26-60%
More fireballs, d-Throw --> fAir --> fAir
d-Throw --> Cyclone

61-High%
Still fireballs, d-Throw --> Cyclone kill
d-Throw --> Dash --> bAir
Try to read a roll for Up Smash
Go for dAir spikes

The part of my game I already see being bad is being too focused on grabs. I don't really have a lot of options for situations, it all kind of falls back to d-Throw combos. I also have trouble hitting dAir spikes as well, and I tend to kinda have a reflex to dash attack in panic (working on it). Any help I can get is extremely appreciated guys! Been lurking for a long time, about time I came out of the shadows.

Liwi808

Smash Cadet
A lot of times for Weegee, the best option is to just shield and try to keep stage control and composure. If anyone tries to come toward you, just fireball or grab. Either that, or use fireball, then chase behind it to try and get the grab after the fireball stun or if they shield. If you watch J Miller, he does a really good job at this. He will shoot a fireball, take a step forward and shield, then rinse and repeat until he gains center stage control. It works pretty well, because the cooldown on the fireball is very short. Luigi's punish game is one of the best in the game, so a lot of the time you might just be waiting for an opening to go in and punish. Another option would be to use the 'nado (sparingly) for mixing up your approaches. It's an extremely fast, awkward move that most people have trouble reacting to.

Last edited:

Soupy

Sage of Wind
Dash attack is not as bad as people think it is IMO. Just don't use it TOO often. Use it as a mix up or an edge guard (dash attack into the ledge for those pesky players that hop back off of the ledge.) It's very easily punished if completely shielded, but if you don't use it for 1-2 stocks, it's not like they're going to expect it most of the time.

It is very easy to get too focused on grabs, though. If you'd like to shy away from that, try to get a little better at reading people so you can set up for an easy smash move. Fsmash has very low range but it hurts. Also, up smash is very easy to hit most of the time. Just dont fish for it. Down smash is good if you can predict a roll.

Sometimes I like to go for grounded 'nados if I'm coming down from an aerial and I'm too close to them to be immediately predictable.

Short hop in place > dair is a decent option to counter approaches since it's slightly angled and Luigi can float for daysssss.

The player Boss is very good at going for jab > grab or jab > jab > grab, though personally, I don't like doing that very much as it's pretty easy to get out of if you're expecting it.

My best advice is to go into practice mode and just practice the dair spike hitbox with most characters around 60%-90% until you're good at it. Once you get it down, it's very easy to hit. (Slow down the speed to 1/4. Down throw, hop up to them, and once they're at about luigi's waist level, dair.) Here's a video of me doing 4 dair spikes in a row. It might help you get a feel for it.

Also, I noticed that dthrow > up b isn't in your options. You should also practice that because it kills light characters at about 80% and can kill heavies at around 105%. Like the dair spike, once you get the hit box down, it's very easy to get consistently. (The way I like to imagine it is, go into the 1/4 practice mode where the screen freezes when you're not holding R. Short hop, up b, and then freeze the screen immediately. His arm and head sort of form a 90 degree angle. You have to hop into the player so that their whole body is inside of that angle, while his fist is directly under them.)

Hope this helps and it's not too complicated!!

Last edited:

Wintry

Smash Cadet
Okay, I'll try practicing that dAir spike. And I didn't know dThrow --> Up B is viable, I guess I just suck at hitting the sweet spot. I noticed that I live and die by wanting to get grabs, so I should mix up my approach more often. Like, I'll be random and throw a 'nado every so often, but I hate relying on it for that reason.

Should I try and learn the jab resets now or later? Seems situationally useful, but I always have problems executing.

Soupy

Sage of Wind
Ohhhhhhhh yes, dthrow -> up b is godly and very hard to get out of. You just have to practice the hitbox until you can consistently get it.

You dont have to always go for grabs though. I really like to go for retreating back airs and things of that nature. Just mix it up whenever you feel like you're fishing for one too much.

Top Bottom