• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New king dedede technology

Madses

Smash Rookie
Hello guys,
Today iam excited to anounce a new trick me and my have been working on.
We call it sticky gordo.
Here is the vid, i hope you all enjoy it.

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
Because it's more or less a "technology" unless you discovered how to stick the gordo to the ledge 100% of the time.

This trick has been known a few days after the japanese release; the catch is that nobody knows for sure how to do it consistently.
Your video doesn't explain it either.

ewic

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2363-5634-0009
I'm curious if anyone knows how to make Gordos stick to walls consistently? I went into Training and spammed them from varying distances and angles and nothing seems to make it always stick. If it's truly random then I'm gonna be sad. :(

Thanks for any insight on this topic!

SaintChairface

Smash Cadet
land the gordo on the hitbox for the handhold of the edge at a horizontal or upwards trajectory, I was able to reproduce this 100% on Wily's castle and FD, it was a little more difficult on omega green hill zone

Last edited:

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Tech stands for technique, not technology.

FierceFox

Smash Apprentice
It's called LODGING and far from new technology. Everyone can do it easily. The hard part is doing it consistently. That's the mystery.

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
land the gordo on the hitbox for the handhold of the edge at a horizontal or upwards trajectory, I was able to reproduce this 100% on Wily's castle and FD, it was a little more difficult on omega green hill zone
The issue is getting it to work consistently with vanilla Gordos. It depends on the spacing and trajectory of the launch, how you angled it, the shape of the stage, and probably some other things. I've not been able to do it at 100% consistency, not even on the same stage, sticking them feels very random.

However, the Bouncing Gordo custom move almost guarantees that you stick them to the wall. They also have some other uses different from the default type, in exchange for the utility that vanilla Gordo provides. It's hard to say which type of Gordo is better, I like both options but currently use the Bouncing variety on my custom D3 set. That may change in the future though.

Madses

Smash Rookie
Its not "random" i can stick them 90% of the time to the edge.
and i have some tricks on how to do it.

SaintChairface

Smash Cadet
The issue is getting it to work consistently with vanilla Gordos. It depends on the spacing and trajectory of the launch, how you angled it, the shape of the stage, and probably some other things. I've not been able to do it at 100% consistency, not even on the same stage, sticking them feels very random.

However, the Bouncing Gordo custom move almost guarantees that you stick them to the wall. They also have some other uses different from the default type, in exchange for the utility that vanilla Gordo provides. It's hard to say which type of Gordo is better, I like both options but currently use the Bouncing variety on my custom D3 set. That may change in the future though.
I also later found that this could be done on non-fall-through ledges that don't have handholds, such as the blocks on Mario's scrolling stages.

I have been using default Dedede, and I was not joking or exaggerating when I said 100%. Regardless of distance or number of bounces (such as skipping one off of the ghost platforms on yoshi's story), if a gordo contacts the corner of a non-fall-through platform, at a horizontal or upwards trajectory it sticks. I have, however, only tested this with a 100% "vanilla" Dedede.

That being said, I have seen some weird things in the past where gordos have stuck outside of this criteria, such as sending a gordo in when recovering high, and seeing it stick while on a downwards trajectory. This most likely has to do with their bounce physics and the collision detection method used, such that we are actually seeing the gordo clip into the platform. This would explain why the "bouncing gordo" is easier to stick, because its bounce "physics" pattern is to force a bounce forward then back at particular angles regardless of where they land.

OohItsQuaz

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, it's Quaz. I'm the falcon in the video and the blue D3. Like Madses said, this trick is not hard. I'm gonna try to explain it anyway since most of you guys don't understand how to do this. What I like to do first is move as close as you can to the ledge. You can do this by rolling until you won't roll anymore further. Then short hop backwards of the stage. You should use the gordo when half of D3's body is under the ledge. Don't move too close to the stage or else the gordo will bounce off the stage. You don't need to angle the gordo at all. If this didn't work out for you then watch the video again and pay a little bit more attention to the part where I stick to gordo to the edge.Madses is new to smash btw. I'm teaching him more. Feel free to ask me more.

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
Thanks! I've had this happen before, but I didn't realize it had a hitbox. And thanks for the instructions.

Top Bottom