• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Kill Setups And Some Interesting Tech

The_ToolBag

Smash Cadet
NNID
mr.kasabii7
Whats Up guys, I'm Orlando House Smash's "The ToolBag". A Bowser Jr main, and I have been in the lab with this character. I just wanted to share some cool things with you guys that I have thought about/discovered and I would love to hear feedback, your own secret tech/setups, and anything else you would love to share about this character. If you check out one thing on this list, check out what I like to call the ToolDodge (excuse the cocky name) as it is pretty viable and just good to experiment with.

None of this stuff is to claim greatness or to call myself more knowledgeable of the character nor is any of this the best options when in battle. I just want to help evolve the character and improve the community. So please enjoy! :)

-TB

Kill Setups
____________________________________________________________________________________
Mecha-Spin

At high percent (90-150 roughly) and preferably near a ledge, if you jump over your opponent and drop your mechaKoopa, the knock-back from the blast will send your opponent off the stage from which you can instantly spin-out or short hop fair. Both can kill, with the fair being a safer option and the spin-out killing at earlier percentage. Although this is a cool and sexy kill move, it is not very easy or practical to pull off.
____________________________________________________________________________________
Shot hop air dodge (I like to call the ToolDodge) into Fair/Dair:

Something really cool about Bowser Jr is that his forward air has multiple hits on it, meaning you can get hit by it twice. Something not many people know though is that the second hit of it has set knock-back, character dependent, but knock-back that launches the same distance from 0-999%. Another cool thing about this move, as well as Bowser Jrs Dair, is that it auto-cancels into other moves, meaning the second hit of the forward air can be strung into upsmash or uptilt and I believe a grab as well. Down smash and forward smash also work put of the second hit, but only if the opponent doesn't shield, so it isn't the greatest option.

If you want to only get the second hit of Fair, short hop air dodge into it. Only the second part will come out before you land. If the hit connect than you can upsmash instantly. You can also get the last hit of Dair to come out this way as well which can combo into Dash attack and Fair dependent on percentage.

PROS:
-Kill set up
-Low percent uptilt to upair combos
-Multiple options for combos

SETBACKS:
-The hits only do about 2% extra on the combo
-Does not auto cancel if sheilded
-Fair2 -> upsmash does not work on every character

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Edge Guarding

Bowser Jr has many options when it comes to edge guarding, whether you send cannon balls flying (not very reliable), pull a Tweek upsmash when the opponent gets up from the ledge, or you go off stage. I believe that Tweeks patient option is probably the best, but if you want to condition your opponent so that they don't always anticipate it, here are some other options

-Try fading low off the stage to bait your opponent high when they are recovering. When they chose to go high, use Abandon Ship to launch yourself to where they are and use your hammer. Scared of getting hit? The dodge their aerial/read their air dodge with your own air dodge, and then hammer them.

-Try short hopping into Kart just a little bit above you recovering opponent. If the double jump then hop to fair/upair/nair. If They go low, then spin out, it kills. You retain your second jump, and can use the kart again after a spin out in the air, so don't worry about getting back to the stage.

-Try fast falling when the opponent is underneath the ledge, which will bait an air dodge. Once your opponent air dodges, double jump fair right behind them to stage spike them.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Recovering Low

You shouldn't.
But if you do, remember some things.

-You can air-dodge out of Abandon Ship, just make sure you go high enough to get on the stage and risk the punishment. Better than not dying I guess

-If your opponent comes down with with a Bair to stage spike you, then hold down and use the hammer. This usually works in your favor if you time it right.

-Remember to hold down to not cling to the ledge, so after you use up your ledge invincibility, drop below the stage again to bait an attack from your opponent to only punish them for their charge attack with a hammer of your own.

______________________________________________________________________________________
Shield Pressure
(let me know how well any of this works or if you have some better suggestions)

-Let your mechaKoopa loose and then start the Kart. If your opponent jumps, then just fair them. If you opponent SHIELDS, then you have two pretty good options.
1. (Easy to pull off, and pretty safe) - hit the opponents shield with the kart, and then Abandon Ship instantly. The blast can shield poke or at least cause a lot of pressure, especially if the MechaKoopa drifts back into the opponent.
2. (VERY hard to pull off, and probably not as safe) - As you kart toward your opponent, right before you touch the shield, hop while grabbing the mechaKoopa with an airdodge/z-grab, throw the mechaKoopa up as you are above your opponent, and then land behind your opponent and forward smash them. If they shield, then the forward smash will be enough hit stun to make the shield very small. As soon as the smash ends, the mechaKoopa lands on the opponent, and the opponents shield breaks. If they let go of their shield before hand, you end up f-smashing them. This is very hard to pull off. But sexy if you do ;)

________________________________________________________________________________________
Punishing the get up attack/Roll

You can always fade back using the Kart into a punish, but you can also punish your opponent in a harsher way, by reading the get up/roll and then foot-stooling them, canceling the footstool with an Abandon Ship. If you fade the right way, the blast will send them in the direction you faded, and you can follow up with Hammer Mad Damage! Or a Kill.

________________________________________________________________________________________
Really Dope 40% combo at 0%

Kart into opponent, and then when they pop up, instantly hop and then foot-stool them, canceling it with an Abandon Ship, fade to the right/left and then hit them with the hammer when they get sent flying by the blast.

Pivot grab

Use it - It is faster and better in every way. Its like Yoshis'
I have a few questions of my own.
-Is there a way to buffer the ledge cling in order to not get trumped?
-Is Bowser Jr's ledge trump viable?
-Is there any tech here that doesn't work or could be done better?
-Is there any tech that I may not have heard of?
-Is Iggy better than Morton?

Leave your feedback! I would love to hear it and make this character into something people are scared of.

Have a good day guys.

-OHS | The ToolBag

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
Really Dope 40% combo at 0%

Kart into opponent, and then when they pop up, instantly hop and then foot-stool them, canceling it with an Abandon Ship, fade to the right/left and then hit them with the hammer when they get sent flying by the blast.
Wait, so in other words we got Sonic-tier combos now?

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
-Yes, mash getup attack.
-Yes, trump > ledge hop Nair.
-Foot stool up B can be avoided on reaction, but it works wonders if opp is airborne.
-When opp air dodges through your SH up air you can punish them landing with Nair or Dair.
-Of course Iggy's better. He's the legendary super koopa:4iggy:

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
I don't want to be that guy but a lot of this has been covered ad nauseum already.

Some other things too: abandon ship for the sake of shield pressure is extremely high risk low reward. If your opponent doesn't suck you WILL be punished for it. It's not safe at all. I use it occasionally as a mixup but it shouldn't be a go-to when a tomahawk out of cart is substantially better and safer.

Most of this stuff won't actually work in a real match tbh. It's obvious you've put in a lot of lab time but unfortunately a lot of bjrs lab tech doesn't transfer to practical usage. :(

And don't name stuff after yourself lmao, especially something that kids on for glory have been doing since day 1.

I'd suggest reading through this forum though. There's a lot of casual crap in here but there's also a few threads with interesting tech and tools.

Last edited:

Rexcalibr

Smash Apprentice
Honestly not a fan of the kids forward or back air. Their neutral is very good though as a "get off me" move and the up air always comes in handy. To me, the most satisfying way of killing someone is when you're coming down from the ejection seat and just blast someone with the mallet. It has so much knock-back and power. It's gotta be one their best attacks but good players will be hard to hit with it.

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Honestly not a fan of the kids forward or back air. Their neutral is very good though as a "get off me" move and the up air always comes in handy. To me, the most satisfying way of killing someone is when you're coming down from the ejection seat and just blast someone with the mallet. It has so much knock-back and power. It's gotta be one their best attacks but good players will be hard to hit with it.
Yo you're challenging people and you don't even see the merits of fair and bair.

Uh oh.

The_ToolBag

Smash Cadet
NNID
mr.kasabii7
I don't want to be that guy but a lot of this has been covered ad nauseum already.

And don't name stuff after yourself lmao, especially something that kids on for glory have been doing since day 1.
Well regardless, The "ToolDodge" does work, and it is practical, and it is something I dont think anyone has talked about. I just call it that because I didnt want to say short hop air dodge fair to upsmash every time[/quote]

Last edited:

Blanc

Smash Apprentice
BRUH DKM LMAO

PlawX

Smash Rookie
NNID
PlawxZ
CFL smackdown mostly. Ive been to EE, and I commentated/was staff at Paragon
Oh nice, I'm looking into getting into the local scene around here. My friend is sponsored by EE and goes to CFL's monthlies. He wants me to start in tournaments so I might start up soon.

The_ToolBag

Smash Cadet
NNID
mr.kasabii7
Oh nice, I'm looking into getting into the local scene around here. My friend is sponsored by EE and goes to CFL's monthlies. He wants me to start in tournaments so I might start up soon.
Yeah man you should, are you talking about KDB?

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Most things said here have been covered already in other threads of this board, but airdodging into the landing hitbox of Fair was new to me! Gotta try to implement that into my game.

Top Bottom