• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New-ish Mewtwo main, help me suck less! (Videos inside)

Denthorn

Smash Cadet
Okay, so I'm not THAT bad, but I still have a ton of room for improvement and I just recently got my hands on some recording equipment, so I figured I'd test it out and record a few matches of my Mewtwo. <johns>I don't think either of us was really playing at our best at the time, but they're the only matches I managed to actually get recorded, so oh well.</johns>

Match 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN6ZUkJiNs0
Match 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEpkaTtgPE4

Any and all advice is welcome and greatly appreciated.

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
The first thing you should know about playing Mewtwo is that he's pretty much a john in himself, so there really are no need for johns.

Also, I love your M2. You've got a very solid foundation, and that's good. Love the ledgeports. If there's anything I'd say you should work on is your DI from grabs. If you DI a marth's f-throw away from him, i don't believe the tipper will connect, leaving him open for a djc'd fair.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
You have a good DJC and grab game. I'd say space fsmashes. And spam more uncharged shadow balls. Abuse Marth's lack of projectiles to the fullest. And don't forget usmash's ridiculous priority. Overall, good stuff. M2 mains are so rare and so treasured.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
That's a sweet Mewtwo, actually. I only have two points for you to consider.

The first is that you're not really comboing. You're going for the bthrow at medium percents, which definitely isn't going to kill.

The second is that you should DI down and away from Marth's throws. Just sayin'.

Denthorn

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the compliments/advice everyone. I've tried DIing straight away from Marth's f-throw in the past and have somehow managed to get tippered almost every time >_<. Eventually I just figured it would be better to DI towards him and just eat the f-smash instead of getting tippered and losing a stock at 20%, but I haven't tried DIing down and away, so I'll give that a shot.

The first is that you're not really comboing. You're going for the bthrow at medium percents, which definitely isn't going to kill.
I know d-throw is usually used for tech-chase setups at low percentages, and I do that against most characters, but against Gubian it tends to result in him poking me in the face with a f-air/forward-b before I can follow it up, forcing me to shield and putting me back on the defensive. I've tried a few things here and there, and occasionally a forward-b can pull him out of whatever attack he's trying to use, but I haven't been able to get anything solid (like a f-air) to connect after the throw. Eventually I just started b-throwing him and wavedashing/teleporting after him to try and keep some pressure on. Maybe I'm just not moving fast enough? :confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEpkaTtgPE4
He does the forward-b after the d-throw at about 7 seconds into the match, and a second time at about 2:34. A down-b seems to be able to pull him out of the forward-b after crouch canceling the first swing, but I'm afraid that would get pretty predictable and it doesn't do much good against a f-air. Maybe an upward angled f-tilt instead? Or should I just back up a bit, let him miss the attack, and then punish him in his lagtime?

And yeah, I know Gub's not that great (he also just doesn't play the game or practice as much as I do) but he's really the only person I have to practice with :(. There's a tournament near here in late February though, so I'll get some good practice in when that happens. Hopefully I won't be getting tippered after f-throws by then too :laugh:.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
Since your Mewtwo is more aggressive( better) than mine, I only have 1 peice of advice for you: don't wear a name tag unless it's required. You can mess with people who aren't vastly better than you with the Teleport, but it works only if they can't follow the tag to know where you're going.

P.S. Also wean yourself off of jabbing with Mewtwo: his Jab is terrible and has little to no value.

That being said, your Mewtwo is really good. Hope you do good in the tourny.

PK Webb

Smash Champion
You have a good DJC and grab game. I'd say space fsmashes. And spam more uncharged shadow balls. Abuse Marth's lack of projectiles to the fullest. And don't forget usmash's ridiculous priority. Overall, good stuff. M2 mains are so rare and so treasured.
Heck yea we are rare have you seen the m2 finder theres only about 20 of us in the WORLD:chuckle:

Hpnotiq

Smash Cadet
yea men, good m2, but try to play with experienced players... try not to be too offensive u can mewtwo is slow even tho u can react fast but mewtwo doesn't, mewtwo is a character that requires lots of thinking..

sorry 4 the english btw

Top Bottom