• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
I've also seen:

Stretch Armstrong
Some version of Little Mac
Harry (Teleroboxer)
Link with twin hookshots

And I'll be honest, I could easily see a masked Mario... or even a masked Luigi (Mr. L) with chain chomp, fire flowers, and some e gadd styled arms.

Or Geno, he also shot his fists off.
If honestly be pretty surprised if an ARMS-ified Little Mac doesn't show up at some point, either as DLC or in the inevitable sequel. It was one of the first things I thought of when the game was announced.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
If honestly be pretty surprised if an ARMS-ified Little Mac doesn't show up at some point, either as DLC or in the inevitable sequel. It was one of the first things I thought of when the game was announced.
Here's a fun thought... if a punch out character who wasn't little mac could get in who would you go with?

A) Great Tiger (he immediately has special skills covered)
B) Bald Bull (in the SNES game as well as the NES and Wii... and the bull charge would be an interesting mechanic)
C) Vodka Drunkenski (Because he's Soda Popinski)
D) Other

I'm torn between a and b... and king hippo. The heaviest of heavyweights. Though his inability to get back up is a problem.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
So... what if the ARMS character getting in Smash was Max Brass a.k.a. better Spring Man? :p
That would be so damn cool (He's my new main), but that would make as much sense as having Bison over Ryu or Bowser over Mario.

If you get what I mean.

Last edited:

_Sheik

Smash Lord
You're saying it like Max Brass is the villain of the game when it's not the case at all.

I still get your point though.
You may think of him as ARMS's version of the Champions from Pokémon. They're clearly not the antagonists of the games but they remain on top of that feeling of rivalry and opposition that you feel with other Pokémon trainers. Mainline rivals excluded, of course.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
You may think of him as ARMS's version of the Champions from Pokémon. They're clearly not the antagonists of the games but they remain on top of that feeling of rivalry and opposition that you feel with other Pokémon trainers. Mainline rivals excluded, of course.
Well for gen 1 & 2 anyway. In most of the other games they're devout cultists of the Temple of Friendly Friendship. (Founded by YGOTAS Tea)

D

Deleted member

I can't see Max Brass getting in Smash.

Even if he supposedly "invalidates" Spring Man as a fighter in ARMS, Spring Man still has far more star power to where between the two, he'd be the more likely one for Smash.

The only two I can see actually being a threat to Spring Man at this time are Ribbon Girl and Twintelle.
An ARMS character in Smash would be one of those three.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Honestly, I think every character can have a shot in Smash since the near lack of story makes it so there's not really any "main" character to speak of.

The only ones who have any kind of story are Max Brass, who has a generic "he's the champion" thing, and Helix due to him being a lab experiment mistake gone right (iirc).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The fact there is no true "main character" is exactly why I say that Twintelle is one of the three most likely due to her overwhelming popularity that the developers and even the higher ups at Nintendo are aware of.

As for Spring Man and Ribbon Girl, they may not be "main characters", but they are definitely the two that are used to market the game the most, which gives them the edge over anyone that's not Twintelle due to practically being "mascots".

Outside of maybe Min-Min, who was kind of a Ensemble Darkhorse herself prior to Twintelle's reveal, I cannot see anyone that isn't one of those three.

Last edited by a moderator:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
The fact there is no true "main character" is exactly why I say that Twintelle is one of the three most likely due to her overwhelming popularity that the developers and even the higher ups at Nintendo are aware of.

As for Spring Man and Ribbon Girl, they may not be "main characters", but they are definitely the two that are used to market the game the most, which gives them the edge over anyone that's not Twintelle due to practically being "mascots".

Outside of maybe Min-Min, who was kind of a Ensemble Darkhorse herself prior to Twintelle's reveal, I cannot see anyone that isn't one of those three.
Barq and Byte.

Because Sakurai has an idea with Barq.

splat

Smash Lord
Honestly, I love Litte Mac as much as the next guy, but I feel like including him (or any Punch-Out!! characters for that matter) would be a bad choice.

Due to the similar nature of the games it'd make sense, though I think exactly that is the reason he shouldn't be added: Nintendo has created two distinct fighting universes, crossing them over would blur the line between the two - putting the future of PO on the line, especially if you were to 'ARMS-ify' Mac. If he's able to extend his arms in this game, why would he lose that ability in his next own game? (Should he ever get one, that is - you could argue ARMS made PO obsolete, though that is a different discussion, I'd say)

It'd also mettle with Mac's character too much, as you'd need to clearly alter his capabilities in order to be included. Isn't he supposed to be your average fighter, someone you could technically be? He'd need a fair bit of work to make sense as an ARMS fighter, and would it still be Mac at that point?

Donkey Kong in Punch-Out!! was such a great fit as his inclusion didn't mean anything for his source games yet he fit the universe perfectly being a relatively agile bipedal humanoid with clear, established fighting prowess.

That being said, should Nintendo dip into cross-overs for ARMS (I'd prefer them extending their own universe, though), looking into characters that make sense as a fighter without breaking their own in-universe appearance would be my preference.
Think the Bowser Mech from Mario Sunshine/Luigi's Mansion (using rocket-boosted Arms), Samus (playing off the Grapple Beam) or perhaps even Isaac (summoning Arms, similar to what he does as a Smash AT): less obvious characters that make some sense in th ARMS universe.

...Or just use a character from a franchise that's been dead for ages. Like Sukapon.

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
putting the future of PO on the line
No it wouldn't. It would make fans think so, but nobody at Nintendo cares. If they have an idea for a Punchout game, they're not going to not do it because he was in ARMS.

It's like the belief that Federation Force put Metroid at risk, despite nobody at Nintendo thinking that. Have a little faith in ther abilities and judgement.

Staarih

Smash Master
If he's able to extend his arms in this game, why would he lose that ability in his next own game?
If I recall correctly, according to ARMS lore, aren't the masks the characters wear the reason for their spiral/extending arms? Or the basis to maintain them, or something like that. Make Little Mac wear a mask for him to extend his arms if you really want to keep things "within story", and without a mask he'll just be his same, normal self.

ARMS is new with a quirk, Punchout has years behind it and is more traditional (and has legacy). I don't think cross-overs would make either one obsolete, but maybe it's just me.

splat

Smash Lord
It's like the belief that Federation Force put Metroid at risk, despite nobody at Nintendo thinking that. Have a little faith in ther abilities and judgement.
FF is a spin-off, not a cross-over. Very different things in my book.

If I recall correctly, according to ARMS lore, aren't the masks the characters wear the reason for their spiral/extending arms? Or the basis to maintain them, or something like that. Make Little Mac wear a mask for him to extend his arms if you really want to keep things "within story", and without a mask he'll just be his same, normal self.
The Japanese Twitter mentions that the ARMS fighters wake up with the ability and call the ARMS Organization. The masks allow them to control the ability. The fighters never lose the ability, they just learn to control it.

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
FF is a spin-off, not a cross-over. Very different things in my book.
That's really beside the point. FF is just an example of fans assuming Nintendo has bad judgement when that wasn't the case.

Nintendo isn't going to avoid another PO game because he got a cameo one time, that's just ridiculous. They're a company full of adults, they're capable of making informed decisions and not letting silly things like that stop them.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Spring Man
~moveset~

Spring Man brings a long-ranged brawling strategy to Smash. Different arms can be selected at the character selection screen to customize your fighter. Spring Man's mechanic allows him to attack with his second ARM after certain moves by pressing "A" again. Charge his fists and pound your opponents into oblivion from a distance.

Mechanic {Follow-up Attack} Pressing "A" after tilts and most aerials, allows Spring Man to deliver a second punch.

At the character selection screen after picking Spring Man, you must select one of three arm weapons for each arm. The same weapon can be selected for the primary and secondary arm.

• Toaster Arm: Does the most damage uncharged or charged out of his three arms. Adds fire damage if charged for more damage.

• Boomerang Arm: Delivers a curved punch that does some damage (without hit-stun) during an opponent’s sidestep, roll, or air dodge. If charged the arm adds more knock-back to an attack.

• Tribolt Arm: The Tribolt arm is the fastest in delivering attacks out of the three arms. A charged attack adds a little hit-stun.

SPECIALS

B {ARM CHARGE}
Charges up both fists. Charge takes a third of the time as DK’s windup punch. A full charge gives elemental properties and additional damage to the next fist-attack if it connects.

Pressing B after a full charge: Throws out two curved punches simultaneously, which crash into each other at a set distance resulting in an elemental explosion.

Side B {Dash} Does a short grounded or aerial dash to the left or right. The dash is slower and goes a shorter distance if used in quick succession after a previous dash.

The initial startup creates a blue whirlwind around Spring Man, which deflects projectiles.

Down B {ARMS Throw}
Pulls his arms behind his body, before launching homing hands at the closest enemy for a grab. The grab can be knocked away with a well-timed, medium-strength attack.

Once the enemy is grabbed, Spring Man pulls himself to their position. Then he slams them in the gut with one fist and uppercuts them with the other.

Up B {ARMS-copter} Shoots up vertically, spinning his arms around him. During each rotation, the arms extend a bit more and are at peak range at the top of the move. The last two swings with the fist have the most knock-back. Then Spring Man goes into free fall.

ATTACKS

A:
Flip kick

Side A: Extended, ranged Punch (Pressing “A” will add a follow-up punch with the secondary arm)

Down A: While squatting, sends out a shorter, lower punch than his tilt. But the force sends him sliding a little bit backwards. (Pressing “A” will add a follow-up punch with the secondary arm)

Up A: Spins an arm in an extending arc over his head (Pressing “A” will add a follow-up punch with the secondary arm)

Dash A: Launches his extended arms behind him and pushes off the floor allowing his to spring forward quite a distance for a long drop-kick.

All Smash attacks go further the longer they are charged.

Forward Smash:
Clasps his fists together and swings in an arch, crashing his fists to the ground. If used on an edge, the fists will go off the stage and swing in an arc until they hit the side of the stage.

Down Smash: Looks at the screen with fierce determination and sends out a punch at each side. The move is strongest at the apex of each punches’ full distance.

Up Smash: Punches rapidly straight above with both fists, before finishing off the move with a hard uppercut from the secondary arm (if the secondary arm is charged, it will release its elemental damage on the last hit)

AERIALS

Forward A: Sends a diagonal punch forward and down. (Pressing “A” will add a follow-up punch with the secondary arm)

Back A: A swinging backhand that goes behind him at an upward angle. (Pressing “A” will add a follow-up punch with the secondary arm)

Up A: Delivers an uppercut (Pressing “A” will add a follow-up punch with the secondary arm)

Down A: Punches straight down. One frame has a small meteor effect at the apex. If a charged fist connects the floor of the stage, an elemental ripple will result. (Pressing “A” will add a follow-up punch with the secondary arm)

Neutral A: Swings both arms around him in vertical circles at his side. First use of the move in the air stalls him a bit. Multi-weak hits.

Throws

Spring Man lunges his arms out with the longest tether grab in the game. Brings the character over to him.

A: Knee

Forward throw: Yanks the opponent behind and above his body, before heaving him forward with a ranged toss

Back Throw: Whiplashes the enemy back and forth over his head, before tossing them backwards

Down Throw: Throws the enemy onto ground, leaps up high and machine gun punches downward with extended fists. Launches enemy to the side afterwards.

Up Throw: Extends arms high above his head, pushing the enemy into the air

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
...Or just use a character from a franchise that's been dead for ages. Like Sukapon.
Sukapon from Joy Mech Fight
Harry from Teleroboxer
A modified model of Ray from Custom Robo
Bravoman (Only because Namco Bandai helped work on ARMS)

Staarih

Smash Master
Over a million sales and the game came out just a month ago, definitely does look promising. It's a fun game, hopefully it'll continue to be a hit.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I wouldn't celebrate just yet. Even if ARMS miraculously sold over a million copies, it's too early to tell if ARMS content is very likely in Smash.

I mean, it is possible if they want to cash in on ARMS' popularity while it's still hot and that game will be continuously supported for the future Splatoon style.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Hey awesome ARMs sold 1.18 million pcs!

...and 1-2-Switch sold 1.22 million?!?

Milkable Udder confirmed for smash.
Milkable Udder would be too OP for a game like Smash. :troll:

Though music is the best I'd expect out of that game.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
So Dataminers found what they believe to be a hint about the games remaining characters. Spoilers, obviously.

Digging through the game's code, a list of character names has been found. Some of these are nicknames for existing fighters - we're guessing they were internal names for characters before their final monikers were decided upon - but not all of them match up:

• Belt (Max Brass)
  • Chain
  • Coil
  • DNA (Helix)
  • Hair (Twintelle)
  • Mee (Min Min)
  • Mummy (Mummy)
  • Ninja (Ninjara)
  • Plant
  • Police (Byte and Bark)
  • Ribbon (Ribbon Girl)
  • Robo
  • Scroll
  • Snake (Kid Cobra)
  • Spring (Spring Man)
  • Sumo
  • Surprise
  • Sweet
  • Twintale
  • Worker (Mechanica)
  • BossHead (Hedlok)
  • RNA (Dummies)

My thoughts:

I'm now worried all the new characters will be too similar to the old, like Max Brass and Spring Man.

Think how easy it is.

Max B > Spring Man
Sweet > Ribbon Girl
Chain > ninjara
Scroll > Min Min
Coil > Mechanica
Robo > Byte and Barq
Twintale > Twintelle
Sumo > Master Mummy
Plant > Helix
Surprise > King Cobra.

The numbers match up.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
New character is coming in the next update. We may have the codenames that spoil what their ARMS are but we still don't know their gimmicks or design so there's a lot to look forward to.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
do you suppose the name sweet means sweet as a personality trait or sweet as in candy?

does anywhere else in the world uses the sweets for that matter?

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
do you suppose the name sweet means sweet as a personality trait or sweet as in candy?

does anywhere else in the world uses the sweets for that matter?
Now I can't help but think of a candy-themed fighter who can get occasional speed boosts (sugar rush) at the cost of being slower afterwards (sugar crush)

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
dont know that one
It's a 16-bit fighter with all sorts of weird fighters like an Evil Frosty and the aforementioned Taffy.

Far from the most memorable Genesis game.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
looks like we may get that sweets fighter next based on this image on their twitter feed

it might become my new favourite

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Actually, there was another teaser of the character in question. In video form.

It looks clownish with baggy pants and candy arms. Some even speculate that she's female. But we will see.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Males (5):
Spring Man
Ninjara
Kid Cobra
Master Mummy
Max Brass

Females (4):
Ribbon Girl
Min Min
Mechanica