• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Ike player, need critique

chazman

Smash Rookie
Here's a video of me doing a bo3 vs a friend who plays Diddy:
/watch?v=8WFzQHSdhWM&list=UUqJIN24ox6_Dzf-gGGGX0aA
This was like the day i declared i'd main Ike, so you'll notice i dont really JC my QD besides coming out with aerials; i've learnt most of Ike's techs by now, and a lot of the time when you see me do a QD attack in these mathces, my intention was to JC and my fingers werent behaving lool. I just wanted some critique on how to deal with a campy/stubborn player who forces you to approach, and how i could make those 3 games less close, improve my neutral game as Ike, etc... Also how to SD less lmaoo. Thanks guys.

Last edited:

metroid1117

Smash Master
I didn't watch the entire thing, but here's some general things I noticed:

- At low %s, the best combo throw on Diddy is UThrow instead of FThrow. Diddy's fallspeed is more akin to a fastfaller than a floaty, so you can put him in some bad positions with UThrow.
- Short-hop NAir or FAir are also good approach options; you seemed to exclusively use QD when approaching him from neutral, but since Diddy should constantly have bananas on the ground and dash attack interrupt grounded approaches, I'd avoid becoming too reliant on it.
- Focus on polishing QD follow-ups out of throws; it's possible to QD into a regrab or aerial depending on the opponent's DI out of FThrow or BThrow, but it seemed like you weren't comfortable with them yet. For practice, I'd recommend either bashing on CPUs or going to Training Mode and seeing whether you can true combo FThrow -> QD RAR BAir on floaties like Pit.

Considering that you just picked up Ike, you did pretty well. Keep at it, Ike's a super fun character to play as :).

chazman

Smash Rookie
Thanks a lot for the feedback

FThrow -> QD RAR BAir on floaties like Pit.
Is a RAR the flip jump you do when you hold the stick in the opposite direction while jumping, or is it while in QD, when u flick the stick to the opposite direction right before jumping, making u jump in the opposite direction? Thanks again.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Is a RAR the flip jump you do when you hold the stick in the opposite direction while jumping, or is it while in QD, when u flick the stick to the opposite direction right before jumping, making u jump in the opposite direction? Thanks again.
RAR in general is jumping during the turnaround animation while maintaining the momentum in your original direction. In terms of inputs, it would be QD (right+B) -> turnaround (left) -> initiate jumpsquat (up/X/Y) -> maintain momentum (right) -> leave the ground. If you do it properly, Ike should do a backflip instead of just jumping upright.

chazman

Smash Rookie
RAR in general is jumping during the turnaround animation while maintaining the momentum in your original direction. In terms of inputs, it would be QD (right+B) -> turnaround (left) -> initiate jumpsquat (up/X/Y) -> maintain momentum (right) -> leave the ground. If you do it properly, Ike should do a backflip instead of just jumping upright.
Alright i guess ive been practicing it right then, thanks. What controls do you use for Ike? Im really used to tap jump off, so i JC grab using X + Z, JC Usmash using R + C stick up (R set to jump). I use Y to JC into aerials and such. My setup might seem weird hahaha but it feels comfortable so i guess i should roll with it? unless theres a more efficient way using tap jump or something...

metroid1117

Smash Master
Controls are personal preference; coming from someone who has his C-stick set to Attack instead of Smash (it allows for jabs and NAirs when C-sticking diagonally), I'm used to odd configurations. Up+B/USmash out-of-shield isn't too important with Ike since both are relatively slow options, so it's not a big deal if you have tap jump on or off. However, I highly recommend learning how to DACUS - you can either configure your controls so that it's comfortable or you can claw such that you C-stick dash attack with your left thumb and hit up+A with your left index finger.

Top Bottom