• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Ike Main/General Advice

Starfall11

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-1720-3560
Hello all,

I'm a former Falco main from Melee/PM. I started using Shulk when Smash 4 was released on 3DS, and fell in love with the range of his monado and mixup options.

What advice would you have for a new Ike main in PM? I've never used the character before, and want to make the best out of his PM iteration. From what I understand, he's much quicker as a result of his quickdraw mixups and options. Some of these include Up Smash, Grabs, Jump Cancelled Aerials, etc.

What would you say is a good general gameplan with Ike in PM? Other than the obvious quickdraw mixups? Unless this is pretty much his entire game.

And lastly, is Ike tournament viable in PM. I've heard PM is balanced enough that any character can win tournaments and I want to take Ike to a very high level. Like the potential Falco had in PM/Melee.

Sol0ke

Smash Ace
Ike is certainly viable in the world of PM.
Yea, from what I remember, part of Ike's game is focused on using Quickdraw, whether it's for spacing or getting in close

I'm sure someone else can elaborate since I don't play PM anymore

zz_halim

Smash Apprentice
i have a similar issue, basically i have big trouble getting a gameplan together

ESPECIALLY in neutral

Last edited:

Starfall11

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-1720-3560
I have watched that video. And I am currently trying to master QD > Jump Cancelled Throw. It seems like you have to plink Y and Z together. It's pretty difficult execution wise. I can do it, but not consistently.

I need to find out more about openings and which tools are used to approach/defend.

I feel like my best option right now is QD > JC > Nair/Fair. But other than that and an occasional throw, the positioning is difficult. Been watching some Metroid matches though. And I'll be competing in a tournament within in a week.

zz_halim

Smash Apprentice
metroid seems to bait with his doublejump often and occassionally throws out an aggressive fair. at least in some matchups

Starfall11

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-1720-3560
Yeah, empty jumps are pretty important. Seems like some spacing with Nair and Jab combo.

Steelo Rivers

Smash Cadet
This is probably well known by now but, you can wd fw and back out of quickdraw. I almost want to make an ike video just to post here. Most of ikes game is quickdraw mixups and nairs. bair is not respected enough either.

Last edited:

Starfall11

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-1720-3560
Bair is a great attack. Ike's fastest aerial I think and tremendous kill potential. A lot of his play is QD mixups, but you can definitely use dash dancing and feints into throws as well.

Starfall11

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-1720-3560
Yeah, Ike is the most I have ever had in Smash. In PM, he's so fast and unique. But in Brawl/Smash 4, he's one dimensional and much much slower without all of the movement options and QD mixups.

Top Bottom