• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New ideas and training styles

Heero9191

Smash Rookie
I was recently playing melee and I came across new ways and ideas to help you play better.

1) I hooked up my game cube to my pc and I can play on my pc... the only thing is it gives me a 1 second lag time. I found that this helped my short hop and wave dash ALOT! When I play on a regular TV, I can move 10 times faster than I normally do on my pc. It’s almost like my character took off weights.

2) Metal box theory: Try training with the metal box and try shuffling and wavedashin and L- canceling. If you master them with the metal box, you will be awesome without the metal box (idea from mist)

3) Try to get into new habits. For example... When some one smashes you up, what do you do? You usually wait until you recover right? Well you should immediately hold down and go the opposite direction that you were smashed at.

4) Train against every level 9 computer... Not to beat them. To see how smashes can be avoided or to pick up a new trick or two. This also shows you what character matches up with who.

5) Pick a level 9 computer. Now instead of fighting them, try to avoid there smashes and attacks. Try to read what they are going to do. Even though computers are very predictable, they often have a few tricks up there sleeves. This prepares you a lot when you are scimming.

These are the things that i do to get better but i am open to suggestions. And before I forget... In my melee game, the computers have gotten better and they now do things that they have never done before. I find the computers trying to spike and sometimes even edge hang. They do new combos and they tech. Is this supposed to happen? Well anyway, these tips work, I am open to new tip ideas also so just post them.

Sky2042

Smash Apprentice
I thought up 4 and 5 last week all by myself, actually. :) Learning how to DI is easiest with a level 9, if you don't have a human counterpart (as is learning to tech...).

And no, I don't think they have learned how to do those things. I suspect that you just recognize them for what they are now, rather than unknowable tactics (I've always had the fun of being spiked by Fox...).

StellaNova

Smash Journeyman
Number one is a little impractical, because most players cannot play smash on their computers.

Number two I believe would not work as you say it would, because short hopping becomes considerably easier with the metal box. I suppose the wavedashing and l-cancelling would still be ok.

Number three is good, which we should all do.

Number four is non true, because avoiding computer smashes is nothing like human smashes, and playing computers does not show you what counters what. Computers cannot reflect tournament play. period.

Number five... see number four.

As for the remainder, about the computers with enhanced performance, the cpus do not actively get smarter. They respond to the movements and actions you take. What seems to be a new combo or something weird happening is the result of you trying to dodge everything and the cpus attack failing, so they are bound to try something "different" but this does not help or reflect a real human vs human game, so it is hardly applicable. I did not mean to sound entirely negative, but i needed to point out what other people would have done otherwise.

Oakie

Smash Apprentice
wow...negative nancy. i think sometimes matching up against a cpu isn't completely useless though. i see what you're trying to say stella novaa, but fighting a cpu i think can help you figure out maybe the weight of a character and possible combos. notice i didn't say figuring out combos on cpus is expected to work on humans, they're just possibilities. and the more possibilities you have the more chances at winning, right? wont make you excpetionally better, but it will give you a broader knowledge of such things, which is always good to have

Ronin686

Smash Ace
Number one and two will definitely hinder you more than help you. You'll find yourself pressing buttons too fast/at the wrong times during important matches.

Smash Master
The best way to train:
1.) Select IC's
2.) Grab
3.) Press A
4.) While Popo is in the headbutt animation, press forward, then A
5.) Tap A repeatedly, or in a rhythmic motion, whichever you prefer
6.) Look at another game, or turn around and talk to your friends

South_Paw

Smash Ace
ACTUALLY... there is some use for playing cpu's.. imo

One: to practice against marth with jiggly or mewtwo, use the level nine marth, its freaking difficult to get within range.

Two: for space animals, use a level nine ganon for l-cancelling practice, if you dont L-Cancel your down airs right, you get jabbed. And your d-airs are pretty important with spacies, ya?

Three: This I like to do with a lvl 1 cpu... turn their handicap to nine and yours to one, turn the damage ratio to .5... for me i use peach/fox for my cpu. this is another good way to practice with space animals. for fox, i'll play against the peach, since she's so heavy, you can practice drill-shine infinite (as though against a wall) on any stage and she won't move after being shined. for falco, against the fox to practice quick pillaring (starman is good for emulating sheild in case anybody didnt know)

Four: for anyone that wants to learn how to powershield, i use ganon and falco. start with ganon, powershielding his ultra-slow and laggy attacks, then when you get that down, play against lvl 9 falco on FD and keep your distance, he stops every like three seconds to shoot a lazer at you, since this is probably the most commonly powershielded projectile in the game, it might be useful :p

Five... dont listen to 1048576... doing that will ruin your smash hetero street credentials... and make people hate you, lol... nothing against the combo, learning how to get out of it is important for people that have to play against ics... : P

Heero9191

Smash Rookie
Number one and two will definitely hinder you more than help you. You'll find yourself pressing buttons too fast/at the wrong times during important matches.
Thats not true. I played on my computer for about 2 weeks witht the lag. When i transfered to tv i found it was easier to play. I wave dashed faster and had a better short hop. It actually made me much much better. I found myself winning most matches against my friend when 2 weeks ago he would beat me.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Playing CPUs is not as fulfilling as playing against humans.

If you can, just find some smashers in your community to Smash with. You'll improve every time you play with them. :) That's now I train.

Razed

Smash Ace
Thats not true. I played on my computer for about 2 weeks witht the lag. When i transfered to tv i found it was easier to play. I wave dashed faster and had a better short hop. It actually made me much much better. I found myself winning most matches against my friend when 2 weeks ago he would beat me.
That could easily just be because of the two weeks practice. A few weeks can do wonders.

Top Bottom