• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Ice Climbers Tech (20IC)

themightydoge

Smash Rookie
20IC MOVEMENT:icsmelee:

So I found some new ice climbers tech that I thought was sick and worth sharing. For starters, icees tend to be called lame to watch but I think that the character has an amazing kit to do some flashy and cool combos. There are things like f-throw handoffs/d-throw dair/nanapult that stand out from wobbling, but really there is so much more you can do with the character. I'm starting this thread to see if any other ice mains are interested in discovering new tech.

Here are some of my findings.
-BChu

NEW ICE CLIMBER TECH

Backthrow Regrab:
(works on the majority of the cast)

Nana's throws are RNG dependent (except at ledge). This means there is a 25% chance for each throw (f-throw,d-throw,u-throw,b-throw). It's known that you can get f-throw/d-throw regrabs, but few climbers players can actually land b-throw regrabs. If nana back-throws, the timing is a little tricky but with practice you can get it consistently. Turning popo around to be in the position for b-throw can be tricky. However. dash dancing during nana's pummel makes this easier. By dash dancing, popo can react to d-throw, f-throw, or b-throw in nana start up animations.

"Pitching:"
(Specific to Fast fallers:falcomelee::foxmelee:)

Popo's b-throw can also lead into a nana regrab until higher percents (~120% I haven't fully tested the max percent). Essentially what you do is backthrow with popo, have nana wavedash back and regrab. Do preform this, the entire sequence has to be done in one swift motion. Essentially, input a wavedash back and hit 'z.' This gives different inputs to nana and popo. By doing so, you tell popo to b-throw and tell nana to wavedash-grab simultaneously. It's extremely flashy and can help regain stage position. I have decided to name this tech "pitching" and I'll address it like this from here on.
Additionally, this can lead into more hand-offs, pitches, or wobbles if need be.

Example of Pitching:

D-throw Fair:
(Works on all characters)

Again, Ice climbers players don't really know this is a thing. In short fair's meteor hit box makes it surprisingly easy to regrab off of downthrow. This works extremely well at lower percents. For starters, its more technical, does more damage, and looks cooler than d-throw dair. It's easy to practice and the timing isn't that hard. The inputs follow: grab with popo, down throw with popo, short hop fair with nana, regrab with popo. Its not that difficult to do and is significantly harder to smash DI than d-throw dair. However, I wouldn't recommend doing this at higher percents. It is possible but the timing is extremely precise with the meteor.

"The Smash Ultimate:"
(ending this combo w/regrab only works on fast fallers:foxmelee::falcomelee::falconmelee:)

Believe it our not, a smash ultimate combo works in melee (kind of). At low percents, blizzard to up-tilt to grab is another method of getting a grab (you can also start this combo with a grab). The inputs for this are as follows.
Blizzard with nana, walk up or wash dash directly underneath opponent and up tilt with popo, up tilt with nana, regrab with popo.
This combo isn't 100% guaranteed due to smash di, but so is down throw dair sooooooo... The trick is to up tilt with popo fast enough to prevent the opponent from escaping the blizzard with smash DI. The uptilts between popo and nana should overlap making it even harder to smash DI. After nana's uptilt, the opponent is popped up for an aerial. At low percents, the pop up can even lead into a regrab on fast fallers.

"The Sheik:"
(Mainly used by Sopo:icsmelee:)
(works on fast fallers:foxmelee::falcomelee::falconmelee:)
Note: This combo is not about re-grabbing sheik

TECH CHASE!!!!! A lot of IC players to do not this. Now it is known on FD you can get a combo with dash-attack to regrab. However, this doesn't work as well at mid percents, but there is an answer to this dilemma: Down-Throw tech chases. This works a lot like sheik's and imo better in some regards. The ICs great wavedash works wonders here. Basically just down throw tech-chase into more down throws. If the spacies player doesn't DI, you can just immediately regrab without the need to tech chase. How to preform this well is really simple. After you downthrow, do a small wavedash back. There is a sweet spot position where you are just outside of spacies get up attack, but can dash grab if they mistech or tech in place. If they roll towards you, dash back and regrab. If they roll away, your wave dash should cover the distance and you can get a regrab. I've been able to get a solid 50%-60% with this on sopo and I would highly recommend trying this out. I haven't really seen it used enough but I have found it very useful

Falco Laser Desyncs:
(Falco Matchup:falcomelee: )

Not a lot of IC players take advantage of this. Falco's lasers are useful to start a desync, so I you get hit by one, it's not as bad as you think. Depending on which climber is it, the other one will start to desync with you are in hit stun. This is the time to throw out a blizzard to ice block to stuff approaches. It's really easier to do and I haven't seen many ICs do it.

"Pillaring:"
(Works on fast fallers :foxmelee::falcomelee::falconmelee:)

If people though that the back throw regrab is hard, they are in for a surprise. As it turns out, you can get a regrab off of nana's upthrow. It's extremely difficult to pull off, but landing it is amazing. Here's how it works:
Nana up throws, do a full hop Fair with popo (idea here is to hit the meteor), regrab with nana as the meteor sends the opponent to the stage.
This works similar to d-throw fair but is waayyyyyyyy harder to pull off. This works only with no DI or slight DI. I have only been able to land this a handful of times and it will take a lot of practicing to become consistent. That said, it's the only way I have seen to land a regrab off of an upthrow.

Update: 6/21/19:New Tech

"The Icing Regrab"
(Works on spacies :foxmelee::falcomelee:)

So I have been in the lab trying to figure out what I can do with ice blocks. As a result, I recently discover a new way to get a regrab off of ice blocks. It's really stylish though somewhat difficult to pull off. Essentially, you d-throw with pop, short hop reverse ice block with nana, regrab. The result is portrayed below

(sorry for the poor quality this time)

The timing with nana is a little tricky. If you use neutral b too early, the hammer will hit the spacie and they will be popped up. This forces you to go for ariels. If you input too late, the ice block will not hit the spacie and move along the ground normally. I haven't tested how sdi influences this combo, but I assume its the same as d-throw dair.
Regardless, it's incredibly flashy and works.

NOTES:
A lot of players can look over this post and just view some of this tech as unnecessary. A lot of these desyncs require practice to get right and can be over-shadowed by wobbling. I personally don't think wobbling should be banned as it is what makes the ice climbers the character they are. It's a gift from god in the floaties matchup and I personally enjoy the tension in a match. I just thought it would be worth noting some cool tech. I am trying out to make the character cooler, and more exciting. Pulling these things off makes you feel TAS level and more flashy/stylistic. I feel like the ICs tech has remained largely unchanged in the past few years and it upsets me since there are so many cool things desyncs are capable of.

Last edited:
Top Bottom