• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Grab Setup?

EZえん

Smash Apprentice
I have no clue if this is already a thing since im new to the realm of link mains, but against spacies, fair sets up grab pretty reliably

MrWeavile

Smash Apprentice
They can act out of it. If they really have no idea what's going on and sit in shield it's a free grab, but on point spacies will usually jump out unfortunately.

It is pretty safe if you hit, cause then you can exploit their land lag. But that requires you(at least me) to play a tad bit faster than you can think which means you might miss.

Corona

Smash Apprentice
Another setup somewhat like this is Bomb OOS in grab range, hold in trigger, and shield grab. Same sort thing where they can act out of it, but at low percents against fast fallers, it works pretty well.

GBC

Smash Rookie
Depending on who I'm facing, I like to fair, jab, then get the grab. That racks up enough damage so I can dthrow and get a few utilts in.

SAUS

Smash Ace
This setup is not guaranteed, but I think on certain DI / height / fallspeed / percents they cannot do anything about it. You have to hit them out of the air, otherwise it is definitely not safe. Bomb grab and bair grab work in similar ways. The idea is to grab them in their landing animation so they can't do anything about it. You can also punish whiffed aerials by just grabbing them during land animation. I recommend learning how to pivot grab for this.

A mixup that I've been messing with is down-tilting after the aerial hits. It is safe against ASDI down at 0 and the delay on it is enough to punish spot dodges and stuff. It's also more safe on a miss. Jabbing can also be good just to mess with them.

Corona

Smash Apprentice
This setup is not guaranteed, but I think on certain DI / height / fallspeed / percents they cannot do anything about it. You have to hit them out of the air, otherwise it is definitely not safe. Bomb grab and bair grab work in similar ways. The idea is to grab them in their landing animation so they can't do anything about it. You can also punish whiffed aerials by just grabbing them during land animation. I recommend learning how to pivot grab for this.

A mixup that I've been messing with is down-tilting after the aerial hits. It is safe against ASDI down at 0 and the delay on it is enough to punish spot dodges and stuff. It's also more safe on a miss. Jabbing can also be good just to mess with them.
I just want to say for a second, SAUS, you are Godlike. We see you at GOML, incredible display against The Moon. I also saw Fair off ledge < Grab not work in cases where I would of done the exact same thing. Duly noted.

Dextrose

Smash Cadet
I just want to say for a second, SAUS, you are Godlike. We see you at GOML, incredible display against The Moon. I also saw Fair off ledge < Grab not work in cases where I would of done the exact same thing. Duly noted.
That set was f*cking awesome, i was so hype. SAUS is probably the best Link right now IMO

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I wanna experiment with sh backwards, throw a bomb backwards right before I land so it arcs over my head, then grabbing as they shield on reaction to the bomb..

A bit different from just throwing a bomb normally, since at that point it's unreactable, so they might shield on prediction, but it's not taking advantage of the human psyche as much.

Last edited:
Top Bottom