• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Gordo ledgestick technique (allows faster onstage followups)

OnFullTilt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gregolus
Hello all. I believe this is a new method (or at least one that wasn't yet made consistent) to ledgestick gordos. It allows you to quickly both stick a gordo to the ledge and get back onstage, since there is no need to upB or even to do a ledge getup. This allows some powerful followups with (I believe much) fewer frames needed for setup.

As for how I've found to consistently do this method, the method is in the description of the video (at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PHSbLg9yJo).

cwjakesteel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cwjakesteel
Interesting. There have been other threads claiming to "get gordo to stick every time!" and well....I haven't read them so I have no idea on it's viability.

What you have shown is great though. Just shows why DDD really is the edge king! Set that up and then get them with spike dair or even F-smash

OnFullTilt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gregolus
Interesting. There have been other threads claiming to "get gordo to stick every time!" and well....I haven't read them so I have no idea on it's viability.

What you have shown is great though. Just shows why DDD really is the edge king! Set that up and then get them with spike dair or even F-smash
Thanks mate! Soultrain has a video about other ways to gordo stick and at this timestamp here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DIU5mCt4j0#t=43s you can see that FSmash is quite possible to connect from a stick.

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
Thanks mate! Soultrain has a video about other ways to gordo stick and at this timestamp here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DIU5mCt4j0#t=43s you can see that FSmash is quite possible to connect from a stick.
This is fantastic - a completely practical, practiceable, Gordo stick technique. I just tested on Smashville, FD, Lylat, and Duck Hunt. Works great on all, though Lylat's tilting jankiness makes it...hard.

Edit: Girthquake Girthquake let's get on this and try to get some real match footage. Tried some tonight, kept missing. Time to practice.

On a separate note - as mod here I plan to make a master thread soon for D3 tech, so we'll all have a place to talk through/post ideas like this! Nice work, Tilt.

Last edited:

OnFullTilt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gregolus
This is fantastic - a completely practical, practiceable, Gordo stick technique. I just tested on Smashville, FD, Lylat, and Duck Hunt. Works great on all, though Lylat's tilting jankiness makes it...hard.

On a separate note - as mod here I plan to make a master thread soon for D3 tech, so we'll all have a place to talk through/post ideas like this! Nice work, Tilt.
Ah, an honor indeed, glad it seems as useful as I thought! I'm more about finding mixups usually but I'll share any more tech if I find some.

DEX_

Smash Cadet
NNID
Crowind
3DS FC
5086-1792-9558
I'm having troubles on sticking it on battlefield, bu no problems at all on final destination: are them that different or it's because i'm playing on 3ds version and for some misterious reason 3ds battlefield is different from wii U battlefield? I could also be ******** and uncapable, but i find no difficult on FD, so...

Silly Symphony

Smash Cadet
NNID
scoota100
I'm currently testing this and trying to get it in my fingers, and it appears that Gordo only sticks when you tilt the analog stick all the way, as in from left or right all the way 90° to up. Key part, from my testing, you have to do this 90° tilt BEFORE Dedede hits the Gordo with hammer. I'm getting a pain in my fingers, but this is the only way I'm consistently get my Gordo's to stick.

Edit: after extra testing, it appears to be indeed the case. However, make sure your tilt starts at exactly horizontal and ends at exactly 90° up. Vaguely inputting a side tilt (for example at 10°) and then flipping up doesn't seem to work.

Major Kudos to OnFullTilt for this find, I guess the clue is in your name :)

Last edited:

OnFullTilt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gregolus
I'm currently testing this and trying to get it in my fingers, and it appears that Gordo only sticks when you tilt the analog stick all the way, as in from left or right all the way 90° to up. Key part, from my testing, you have to do this 90° tilt BEFORE Dedede hits the Gordo with hammer. I'm getting a pain in my fingers, but this is the only way I'm consistently get my Gordo's to stick.

Edit: after extra testing, it appears to be indeed the case. However, make sure your tilt starts at exactly horizontal and ends at exactly 90° up. Vaguely inputting a side tilt (for example at 10°) and then flipping up doesn't seem to work.

Major Kudos to OnFullTilt for this find, I guess the clue is in your name :)
Thank ye kindly sir! As a matter of fact I'm always a fan of multipurpose names by the way. I believe the reason for what you mentioned is that Dedede can actually drift left or right a large amount starting a little before he hits the gordo. This technique requires that you drift very little horizontally so that's why you need to go 90 degrees up (a partial angle will give you some right/left drift).

I'm having troubles on sticking it on battlefield, bu no problems at all on final destination: are them that different or it's because i'm playing on 3ds version and for some misterious reason 3ds battlefield is different from wii U battlefield? I could also be ******** and uncapable, but i find no difficult on FD, so...
Hmm, honestly not sure. I've tested it the most on Battlefield and that's where I'm most consistent (maybe the platforms are visual cues for me or something). Maybe the timing is less strict on FD due to different ledges, maybe it's the 3DS version, either way I don't know what it is mate, sorry. I'll try in a few days to see if I can notice a difference on FD but I may be busy till then.

Last edited:

Silly Symphony

Smash Cadet
NNID
scoota100
Thank ye kindly sir! As a matter of fact I'm always a fan of multipurpose names by the way. I believe the reason for what you mentioned is that Dedede can actually drift left or right a large amount starting a little before he hits the gordo. This technique requires that you drift very little horizontally so that's why you need to go 90 degrees up (a partial angle will give you some right/left drift).
I see, I came home learning two things from this thread: a major edge-guard technique AND how to properly stick Gordo's. I've been training on Hyrule castle walls and it has confirmed I need to input exactly horizontally and end exactly tilting up. This is very precise and it hurts my thumb trying to be this accurate, but I will not give up, the King needs me.

Edit: after even more practise, it appears that this 'Perfectly tilted' Gordo hits opponents twice on impact.

Last edited:
NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Ooooh.. I've done this before without really thinking about it but now I see my mistake. When I can, on labbing the crap out of this.

CaptainVul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KaLefty
3DS FC
5386-8706-1766
Hmm I usually do down tilted gordos but this does seem a lot faster, I'll definitely lab this!

Thanks TC

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
Edit: after even more practise, it appears that this 'Perfectly tilted' Gordo hits opponents twice on impact.
Gordos only hit opponents twice if the hitbox of the Gordo still overlaps with the character hitbox ~15 frames after initial impact. How you tilt the Gordo doesn't change a thing, just makes it more likely for the overlap to occur.

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi

Edit: Girthquake Girthquake let's get on this and try to get some real match footage. Tried some tonight, kept missing. Time to practice.

Sticking on lylat over all is really weird because the Gordo will actually glitch out and under the stage if it tilts a certain way while stuck.

I haven't used much of this in particular trick to stick to the ledge but it does look legit. Definitely gonna keep trying to do stuff with it. I really feel like it's easy to get dairs off of a good Gordo ledge stick trap. I did some of that stuff the other night in a Wifi tournament.

Great find! OnFullTilt OnFullTilt

OnFullTilt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gregolus
Sticking on lylat over all is really weird because the Gordo will actually glitch out and under the stage if it tilts a certain way while stuck.

I haven't used much of this in particular trick to stick to the ledge but it does look legit. Definitely gonna keep trying to do stuff with it. I really feel like it's easy to get dairs off of a good Gordo ledge stick trap. I did some of that stuff the other night in a Wifi tournament.

Great find! OnFullTilt OnFullTilt
Thank ye sir! It feels like I'll be the last one to actually implement the technique due to being occupied with family matters haha. I'm particularly excited at figuring out when this strat is applicable. If the opponent loves to recover low that may give you enough time, same if they try to stall. I'd be amused if somehow the tech became powerful enough that the opponent felt pressured to recover before you.could Gordo stick, opening them up in other ways.

Top Bottom