• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Glitch - WOW

RazeveX

Smash Ace
ok, this is pretty amazing.

I was playing a sheik on battlefield (i was fox). I think we both had 2 lives. Anyways, the sheik did an upsmash as i was jumping in to her (it?) for a late shffl'd nair. The smash hit me first (somehow) and as she hit me i pressed R and Y to wavedash back (i kinda forgot the control stick, but hey it was a heated match). Anyways, as soon as i pressed the buttons, i ended up airdodging up-left (about the trajectory of the hit) for about the distance of 2 jumps and a firefox. The crazy thing is, it was fairly slow, not much faster than an air dodge, and i kept glitching up-left (you know, instantly moving to somewhere without doing anything).

I cant seem to recreate it.

Does anyone know what this is?

EDIT: Well I thought it was amazing...

Blackadder

Smash Master
This isn't that great.
Had you been playing for hours so the game was heated like lucifers pit?
Is your disk scratched?
I think it may just be a one-off **** up from the game.
Still neat though.

Cra$hman

Smash Lord
you crouchcancelled the move on the first frame you were hit then switched your DI to elsewhere so as to avoid automatic smash DIing into the ground which causes the sticking to the groudn feature. so you becamse airborne with no hitstun and were able to airdodge right away. then you kept flying that way because you just got hit, so ya know, you're gonna fly that way and stuff. the little pause during the airdodge has to do with the airdodge mechanic overriding the hitlaunch mechanic until the airdodge is done, then you resumed your momentum

not a glitch, just several aspects of the physics working in a way that probably wasn't anticipated

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
you crouchcancelled the move on the first frame you were hit then switched your DI to elsewhere so as to avoid automatic smash DIing into the ground which causes the sticking to the groudn feature. so you becamse airborne with no hitstun and were able to airdodge right away. then you kept flying that way because you just got hit, so ya know, you're gonna fly that way and stuff. the little pause during the airdodge has to do with the airdodge mechanic overriding the hitlaunch mechanic until the airdodge is done, then you resumed your momentum

not a glitch, just several aspects of the physics working in a way that probably wasn't anticipated
*watches as post whizzes over my head*

sounds neat.

AcidJazz

Smash Apprentice

That's a bug :)

Cra$hman

Smash Lord
no, a glitch or bug can't be explained by the physics system, its something weird that just happens in certain situations, like swd or falling through the level.

with this, 4 different things are happening exactly as they were designed to, but when you put them all together it causes an odd result which the creaters probably didn't anticipate, like wavedashing or boost grabbing

AcidJazz

Smash Apprentice
A bug is behavior that happens in the system that isn't planned for. If t he physics system makes for something undesirable, then that becomes the bug itself. Your reasoning is that since there's a reason (the way the physics engine was constructed) then labeling it a bug is incorrect. There's always a reason for it being a bug, but it's still a bug.

Take for example when you hit somebody at the VERY tip and it makes the sound but the opponent doesn't move. That's just poor clipping handling but its still a bug. How about when you tech against a wall at a super high percent. You slide and slide and slide and eventually end up flying up to death. That's also a bug (but just the way the physics system handles it). It's an undesirable effect and in that sense is a bug.

This seems to be an undesirable effect and therefore a bug.

It's just a label but if it's not supposed to be there, it probably should be handled and fixed. Any piece of code that requires that is a bug.

Puffinator

Smash Ace

...WELL SAID CRASHMAN!!! THERE was no sense of sarcasm in that post either lol

CStrife187

Smash Journeyman
@acidjazz, phantom hits aren't glitches and they don't happen accidentally, they happen with the hitboxes and collision bubbles are tangential instead of overlapping. Four things happening exactly as they were intended is not a bug, a bug is something like the infinite super scope glitch, or ness's yoyo glitch.

Top Bottom