• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Gamecube Controller Question

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I'm not sure if anyone has got a hold of any yet, but if they haven't this is pre-emptively going to sit here until they drop.

What I want to know if they've hit already is how do they feel/perform compared to original spec? The white ones released for the Wii were slightly different, with different initial pressure requirements to depress the buttons, a very minor but irksome change.

So if anyone owns or has tried one of the new ones somehow, how do they feel?

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Bump because this place has gone haywire and yeah.

Zeko

Smash Rookie
Bump because this place has gone haywire and yeah.
I'm sure someone else can answer this better, but for now based on me watching some streams in the past hour people are saying it's really good. Everything feels the way you'd want it to. I think some gripes are that when you go to use your shield the trigger is a little harder to push down, but that is because we are all used to worn down GameCube controllers.

If all else, I hope this sheds some light for you in some way until someone can answer this better for you !

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
They are great. The analog and csticks are perfect, probably the best I've ever used. Shoulder buttons are much better than the white GC controllers but I'm not sure if they are any better or worse than the shoulder buttons on the original/early (black, purple) GC controllers. Z button is a little worse I think but not really noticeably. All of the other buttons feel right. The plastic shell seems a bit lighter/cheaper but I actually like it.

Esquire

Smash Cadet
NNID
DarkSlay
It feels great. Pretty much identical to the original GCN controller. One thing I did notice is that I feel the the rumble is much stronger than the older controllers, so it may be definitely worth it to turn it off. Increased wire length is also pretty useful, especially for games with multiple people in the room.

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I like it better than the white GC controllers.

The only thing I don't like is the Z button right now. Feels like it's sticky or something. Other than that though, I like the L and R shoulder buttons way better.

phoenixairs

Smash Rookie
Yet another datapoint:

The Z button used to have a really light click; now it's just mushy.

D-pad doesn't seem that great, but unless you're practicing Luigi's meteor taunt attack, whatever.

I actually prefer the glossy smooth feel of the Wii U pro controller, but the GC controller button layout is still the most comfortable for Smash.

Utaro

Smash Rookie
NNID
Its_a_me_Mario
3DS FC
2423-2518-7011
From holding it myself, it is honestly very good. The only buttons that seems abit softer, are the z button and start button. But honestly, its so minor, it shouldn't affect anything.

many37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
many37
3DS FC
2423-4448-6030
I'm loving the GC controller. It feels exactly as the ones I used years ago.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Thanks everyone guess I'll pick one up after all.

Top Bottom