• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Game Modes? Event Match of the Century!

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
Was it just me, or did the Event Match mode in Melee seem tacked on at the last second? Some of the matches were barely playable, and others were nothing that we couldn’t set up ourselves in Vs. mode. I imagine that for Brawl, Sakurai will give this mode a lot more attention. I certainly would love for Event Match mode to return. Being forced to play a character that you’re not used to may be frustrating at first, but beating the event challenge is very rewording. So what can be done to truly make this mode worthy of Brawls already AAA status?

Sakurai needs to make all the challenges structured and fun. I recall a particular Event challenge called “Only Sheik KO’s count! Wait for the change…” I hated this challenge. It was a combination of Zelda’s low level, poor AI, and the fact that her transformations seemed focused on staying Zelda as much as possible that drew my last straw. Instead of waiting for the change, I just got bored. This wasn’t even the worst of the Event challenges. I can recall a few trophy tussles that made me quite angry. Fighting on top of Majora’s Mask was not conducive for fun because that mask just isn’t a well designed level. I don’t think this will be a problem for brawl. I assume that everything in Brawl will be carefully constructed.

The Event Matches also support up to four players. I know this may be difficult because of the number of total characters allowed on the screen, but it would be much appreciated if they did include this wherever they could. Don’t we all want to take down Gigabowser with 2 to 3 of our best buddies? Perfect Dark did this very well. For each of the challenges, you could play up to 4 players. The difficulty scaled with the number of players. You could earn a medal of completion for each challenge with each number of players. This essentially quadrupled the 30 challenges.

The last but not least addition is an Event Creator. The idea of an Event/level creator is common to many types of games. I’ve even hinted towards it several times in these very blogs. Ultimately, I want to make my own break the targets levels that are co-op. I want to build my own Event match with lots of Yoshi eggs raining down. I want to set it all up and I want to share it with my friends and the world.

Truly these options would make Event Match the mode of the century!

yoshi_friend

Smash Apprentice
First post

Yea, that sounds good
and I agree with you about the melee events.
some of them were just poorly designed levels

Nilok

Smash Journeyman
Knowledge from the Inquisitor.

Indeed, and it seems that Sakurai is working hard on Single Player, which is in fact Co-op, me hay have also put in equal effort in the Events, and maybe even the ability join with your friends. What I think would be cool, would be a Boss run like from Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, were you can fight a single or a set of Boss from Story mode (again Co-op for this).

I don't think Sakurai, though, will put a Editor in the game for the stages. I think they are going to tweak them so much that they will believe that they are perfect, and thus have no need to put in an editor; however I would really like to see an event or a special stage editor in the final version of the game.

Also apparently people who have played the demo have been saying Sonic isn't overpowered and in fact Meta Knight is the overpowered one.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
that would be cool. I just want an item only damage or pokeball only damage match. The only thing is though, I want it for a regular brawl option. So I guess it has little to do with event matches.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
I'm down for a fully customizable event mode. There were so many aggrivating events in Melee, this would be more fun. And imagine sharing your events with other Smashers via Wi-Fi. It would be like custom games in Warcraft/Starcraft. It would truly give Brawl infinite replay-value.

mcs

Smash Cadet
good idea. though for me i kind of liked the event matches...but this only lasted about 5 days.

also the "race for your life" level was REALLY sloppy. i mean its just c.falcon on a sped up adventure mode level!:laugh:

off topic: nintendo wi fi has its own section on the dojo. just a fact there...

epsilon73

Smash Rookie
I agree with you that much more thought should be put into the development of Brawl's event matches. After the first few matches I only continued playing them for the sake of completing the entire game. Although, I do believe that in Brawl nearly every aspect of super smash will be improved, event matches included.

Sneaky 2.0

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2724-1598-9725
I think there should be an event match in which there's a timer that goes off every 30-45 seconds. When it does, your opponent automatically gets a Final Smash to use against you. Would make for an interesting and aggravating boss. The problem is Zero Suit Samus....

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Woaw, that is another GREAT IDEA! Seriously, an event match creator would rock.

"Try and Pwn Ken Playing as Marth"

^ Best event match ever! :laugh:

"Samus Took Her Clothes Off"

Play as Snake, and defeat Zero (Negative) Suit Samus. :laugh:

Seriously, there would be so much customizable stuff with that. And event match should support online and up to 4 players. Imagine yourself, and three random people fighting Master and Crazy Hand, Giga Bowser, and some new villian at the same time. Now that would rock. End of story. :)

Online support FTW folks!

Top Bottom