• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Falco, A TRUE test of faith.

KidChameleon

Smash Rookie
I dont see why all you whiners are so afraid of falco's new approach, what made falco weak in ssbm was his terrible predictability, having specials that were simply weaker, short-range versions of fox's attacks.

now falco has a style all his own- he no longer requires sprinting, his attacks are fast enough.

falco's shine is no longer as ridiculous as it used to be, but being able to toss the hitbox of the reflector has SO many more possibilities, given you have the timing to use them. you can intercept projectiles and catch you opponents by suprise, throw in the reflector in after doing a SHL for a third strike, or use it as a safe, effective edgeguard.

after playing him for a couple weeks now, i've noticed that all of his attacks do have a PREVALENT defensive theme to them, which is probably why most veteran falco mainers' have been a little indifferant towards using him.

BUT A GOOD DEFENSE IS ALWAYS THE BEST OFFENSE, RIGHT?
(this appears to be falco's new fighting philosophy)

thanks to his defensive capabilities,
he easily has one of the best approaches of ANY character-

case and point,
THE SHORT-HOP DOUBLE LASER,
which can amped up with a reflector throw for a 3rd strike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZqxOGlNErg

this technique is awesome because it

A: is an arial approach
B: stuns the opponent
and
C: is impossible to jump over
(considering you're not an idiot and won't use it from a mile away)

I could go on about his spikes, combos, and awesome recovery- but you get it.

never the less, i'll admit falco is no longer as easy to master as he was melee,
which is why only the most devout falco mainers will have the patience to play as him.

his style is one that must FIRST be understood to be used correctly.

Bakuryu

Smash Ace
I wont judge till I play the game, but someone posted somewhere saying they were a Falco main and went Wolf main because he played alot more like the old Falco, but like I said I'm not jumping to anything till I play both.

Locke66

Smash Cadet
wolf does look he plays a little more like the old falco playstyle... but I really like the new falco moveset. I'm going to try to get the hang of brawl falco...

kamikaze falco

Smash Lord
I honestly think he wasn't easy to main in melee. Falco was one of the most technical characters in the game. It took insane ability to play falco well. I think it isn't that hard to play him in brawl. People just need to think outside of the box. Honestly I don't like falco the way he is now but that's just me.

WaffleGuyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Well, it is a good thing that Falco got a lot of changes. Or else there might be a ton of topics with "FAILCO'S STILL A CLONE OMFGZOMGLOLOLOLOL!!!!!111!!!!!one!11!!!".

KidChameleon

Smash Rookie
SHDL sucks as an approach move.
what bridge did you crawl out from? *cough*troll*cough*

true smashers know that their's no such thing as a sucky character,
ha, even yoshi has his perks.

when you lose to someone playing falco-
what are you going to do next?

blame the controller? :chuckle:

(oh, and a note on wolf- wolf is very good and considerably easier to use than falco,
HOWEVER: he virtually has no sweetspot, and practically refuses to grab onto ledges after doing a recovery move, wolf is a safe alternative for ex-falco players,
just keep in mind he has arguably the worst horizontal recovery)

Diddykong08

Smash Cadet
With Falco's new reflector, the SHDL can be even more dangerous than it was in melee. Also, a true user of Falco will adjust to his completely new moveset.

davemg

Smash Rookie
why is shdl a bad approach it forces oppents into the air or to deplete their shield before you even start close combat

Dais

Smash Cadet
In Melee, it felt like they made Falco the way he was Just to be different from Fox (his insanly high jumps and fast falling speed). In Brawl, Falco looks more fleshed out. Sure that changes up his game but I think it's for the better. It is interesting to see which Star Fox Character people will chose to play as. There is competition between them now! People seem bored of Fox (but he's the Main Character?) And Wolf is popular (dispite his illogical appearance in the game) because he is a Villain. Unfortunatly, one may end up "better" than the others, but at least we know already that Falco's the coolest.

EAGLE 188

Smash Rookie
well i think that the new falco is awsome and that why I stop practice with him in melee. In some clip that i see I think he more faster, His laser is way more better and about the reflector is new whole level. He will be my #1 character in brawl.

Metalknux

Smash Ace
Well, I think that the new Falco is awesome. That's why I stopped practice with him in Melee. From some clips that I've seen, he's faster, his laser is much better, and the reflector is on a whole new level. He will be my #1 character in Brawl.
Fixing your grammar because it was painful to look at. Anyway, I agree that he is overall better, but I think his Reflector is now useless. It does low damage, has practically no knockback, and is hard to use even when trying to reflect something. Not to mention the ending lag, which makes it impossible to combo from.

Jisike

Smash Journeyman
why is shdl a bad approach it forces oppents into the air or to deplete their shield before you even start close combat
Jesus christ people do you even watch the videos?

SHDL is a horrible approach because it goes over everyones head...

except maybe ganondorf... but they even miss him usually...

kamikaze falco

Smash Lord
With Falco's new reflector, the SHDL can be even more dangerous than it was in melee. Also, a true user of Falco will adjust to his completely new moveset.

You are incorrect falco's short hop laser was the best approach in melee. Falco's short hop double laser isn't very good and there's no way it's better.

scriptwalker

Smash Rookie
has any one tried to throw his reflector over the edge to edge guard and if maybe you can either knock them back off or spike them?

KidChameleon

Smash Rookie
Aaaghhhhahghh!

Jesus christ people do you even watch the videos?

SHDL is a horrible approach because it goes over everyones head...

except maybe ganondorf... but they even miss him usually...

that's not the point, the one that usually goes overhead prevents them from jumping over the second one. it's a great way to lock-in your opponent and limit his options.

he can either choose to be stunned, and take damage, or block.

trust me,
i know it doesnt sound as conventional as it did in melee-
but it works out really nicely in practice.

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
he has awesome recovery?...since when? did his up b get buffed? or is his side b longer like fox's?

Drack

Smash Apprentice
I wont judge till I play the game, but someone posted somewhere saying they were a Falco main and went Wolf main because he played alot more like the old Falco, but like I said I'm not jumping to anything till I play both.
That's probably me you're referring to.

As a Melee Falco main, Brawl Wolf plays more to my style than Brawl Falco.

But they are both a lot different. You can't just shffl stuff into shines, pillar left and right, and spike without even trying in Brawl with ANY space animal, Wolf included. No one in Brawl plays like Falco did in Melee, but Wolf comes a lot closer than Falco in my opinion.

On an unrelated note about Falco:
he has awesome recovery?...since when? did his up b get buffed? or is his side b longer like fox's?
Brawl Falco's Up+B has terrible distance, less than Melee Falco's. However, his illusion has awesome distance, about the same as Melee Fox's Also, Falco's double jump is still nice and high.

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
^ i see...that doesnt really provide him with a very good recovery though... seems easy to gimp kill unless illusion is unflinching now... which i doubt

MexicanJuice

Smash Cadet
I mained Falco in Melee, and I still plan to. At first I was upset about his changes, but I've come to terms with the fact that Falco is different. After some thinking, I've realized it's a good thing. As everyone else has stated, he's become more his own character instead of a Fox clone. His own combos, his specials have different properties, even his FS isn't identical to Fox's. I'm happy for these changes. They've focused more on Falco as a character, and it'll take time to adjust, but my hope is that he becomes one of the very best.:)

Top Bottom