• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New experimental edgeguards

Meistermayo

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2852-7671-9198
Megaman can stock up on a lot of projectiles whilst waiting for the opponent to return to the stage. Most people just wait for the opponent to return, but megaman has the opportunity to get all bases loaded with his projectiles.

These setups are highly experimental and risky. Some may not be usable.

-grab mb, jump offstage, throw/drop mb, uair
Unlikely but could cover vertical movement.

-grab mb, jump offstage, crash bomb the stage, grab ledge, throw/drop mb, dair.
Could potentially stuff any recover with so many hitboxes on stage. To time crash bomb, i reccomend using an aerial for those 10 buffer frames.

-grab ledge, tap away from ledge, double jump spawn mb any direction
Tapping away to let go turns your mb into a turnaround mb (not a b-reverse). After spawning mb, you will regrab ledge for another doublejump mb.

-grab mb, down b, jump offstage, throw/drop mb, jump/walljmp around in leaf shield

Somewhat risky, fishes for a leafstool while also limiting options with leafshields giant hitbox.

-grab mb, rush coil, throw/drop mb offstage, doublejump dair back onstage, fastfall onto rush, doublejump cancel down b
This setup is also very risky, you have to be precise to keep from falling off. Potentially allows you to pressure your opponent offstage with projectiles, while also setting up a leaf shield if they get onstage to cover ledge getup options

-grab mb, jump offstage to opponent, zdrop/throw mb, rush, uair/bair.
Strange trap, make sure to up b facing towards the stage for bair.

Last edited:

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
It's all about trapping the opponent while they're off stage. There are some good ideas in here.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
I need to step up my edgeguarding game. Thanks for the suggestions! I can't wait to try some of these out.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Yea I like some of these. I rarely see people stick crash bomb to the stage when edge guarding usually it will stage spike if it hits.

NotMegaMan

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sickspinda
My favorite is the crash bomb on the edge so when they try to get up it blows up and throws them into the wall then away, techable, but looks awesome. Dont think its new either. :4megaman:

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
[QUOTE="grab mb, jump offstage, crash bomb the stage, grab ledge, throw/drop mb, dair.
Could potentially stuff any recover with so many hitboxes on stage. To time crash bomb, i reccomend using an aerial for those 10 buffer frames.
.[/QUOTE]

is there a specific time window to do this? I know you said 10 frames, but my opp is recovering faster. im having trouble finding out where my opp should be offstage. ive been trying to do this in training mode. i get my opp offstage, then i throw metal blade down, but by this time, my opp is already at a jump bair distance and when i try to setup crash bomb, they're on the stage.

also the leaf shield one with metalblade gave me similar trouble. These are cool ideas you're showing and i encourage them in case you're wondering what i thought about them. Just its a bit hard to get the execution right

Last edited:

uncaDon

Smash Cadet
Ive had some success using dsmash against characters with bad ledge snap like Cloud. Do a feint short jump off the stage or ledge grab and then go back into position and dsmash them. It's not something to rely on but if you time it right it can lead to hilariously early kills, nobody DIs to the side in that position

About the only use of dsmash ive found apart from shield breaks or punishing extremely predictable for glory rollers. Oh and I guess hypothetically you could follow up a person landing with a cbomb on them with dsmash

Last edited:

Plutooooo

Smash Rookie
Is there even a guide or list on all the different ways MM can edgeguard? I'd love to see different combinations of the uses of his tools, and possibly comparisons between their effectiveness depending on matchup. I know for a fact I don't use all of his tools to edgeguard, so it'd be great to have a list to discover new ones and try them out.

Last edited:

CanadianMegaMan

Smash Apprentice
I'm personally a huge fan of using the melee hitbox of nair to edge guard, it has lots of knock back and a much lower knock back angle than fair. It kills almost the entire cast as long as you hit them after their second jump, and it kills characters with poor recovery super early. ( I've killed Mac and dr Mario around 12% )

Meistermayo

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2852-7671-9198
Im not sufre
[QUOTE="grab mb, jump offstage, crash bomb the stage, grab ledge, throw/drop mb, dair.
is there a specific time window to do this? I know you said 10 frames, but my opp is recovering faster. im having trouble finding out where my opp should be offstage. ive been trying to do this in training mode. i get my opp offstage, then i throw metal blade down, but by this time, my opp is already at a jump bair distance and when i try to setup crash bomb, they're on the stage.

also the leaf shield one with metalblade gave me similar trouble. These are cool ideas you're showing and i encourage them in case you're wondering what i thought about them. Just its a bit hard to get the execution right[/QUOTE]

Im not sure if any of these edgeguards are useful. Cb ones in particular seem to take way too long, and zdrop mb into onstage ls might be king. For those buffer frames however, do a full hop fair (as if you are going to followup with a landing uair) , picking up mb with the fair, and then hitting side b towards the stage before fair ends.

Megamang

Smash Lord
I'm personally a huge fan of using the melee hitbox of nair to edge guard, it has lots of knock back and a much lower knock back angle than fair. It kills almost the entire cast as long as you hit them after their second jump, and it kills characters with poor recovery super early. ( I've killed Mac and dr Mario around 12% )
Yes, i talk about this all the time and I love that other people are finding its power!

Have you tried hitting with the 2nd or 3rd nair, and using the other nairs to try and smack them with pellets? Pellets stop aerial momentum and can be really nice for edgeguarding, especially against someone like Cloud who is seriously hampered by his aerial momentum stopping, and has trouble retaliating with slow startup aerials. This strategy works best if you position yourself to be falling with them, of course.

Its also has nice mixup synergy with RARing at the ledge and hitting with a bair. Its hard to react to the direction mega is facing AND his timing on the bair. Bair itself is unreactable so if you mix up how you position it you can easily bait an airdodge.

When you know they airdodge bair as you jump for it, you can add in jumping into an immediate Dair. So they dodge you flying past during your startup, then immediately get hit with the dair as they enter their vulnerable frames. With 10 frames of coverage starting at frame 23, it is really perfect for hitting people as they enter vulnerable frames, which is around 26-28-30 for most characters, IIRC.

Top Bottom