• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Dimension of Samus's Metagame

Litt

Samus
So I'm sure all of you sami out there have seen or used this before, bombing on your opponent, or even double bombing on their shield into a dair. But here is a relatively new technique, as most of you know, you can air dodge and wave dash off of a bomb jump, so here it is: bombing or multi bombing on an opponents shield then wave dashing back to the ground for another bomb on their shield, continued jab pressure, grab or fsmash. I have been able to break a few shields doing this (when finishing with the forward smash), and it is faster than jab pressure if the timing is done correctly. No videos yet, but maybe in time after I work it into my game more.

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
If your opponent is on a platform above you, this is even easier.
I've start using bombs to reset them from missed techs on platforms. Bomb to waveland to what ever you want.
My Wii is still not fixed, or else I'd mastered wavebombing already :)

Litt

Samus
Not just wave bombing, but multi wave bombs are possible depending on the side of the shield, full light shield you can get 3-4 off, (id only recommend 2-3 max otherwise you are too far from the ground)

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
Yes, that's what I meant. I still haven't had the time to master multiple ones. I'm currently using the same buttons as when I waveshine, but wavebombing should be faster, as we don't have to jump cancel anything.

Litt

Samus
ummm, DI is very important as to where you move once you bomb, to make sure you are still in the area of the shield to get another one off

Litt

Samus
Btw dude, it would actually be optimal to do the first bomb on the front of the shield and waveland behind them and continue to the bomb pressure there

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
And if they escape and you miss a bomb, you can SWD after them and continue ;)

blu2grut

Smash Cadet
That is prob. ideal K_Litt but the point was the amount of bombs required. At any point they could let up shield and take the bomb instead. Putting yourself behind them does in fact put you in a more favorable position but that is again not what I was showing.

ManoxMano

Smash Journeyman
wait let me figure this out a little bit
1. Bomb the shield
2. Waveland back onto the stage/platform
3. Bomb again
repeat ad infinitum
Am I getting this right? Does this tech only work on shield? Can you air dodge out of morph ball, is that why this is able to work?

blu2grut

Smash Cadet
The explosion of the bombs cancel quite a few different moves of Samus. You can cancel the landing lag of attacks or even other bombs. Most importantly it can cancel the rest of its own animation. The bomb blows up and you are free to do any aerial or wave dash. This move is not limited to shields.

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
This doesn't work the same in PAL. We can't cancel our airdodge with bomb etc.
After Dair or Utilt (hits them upwards) I usually add a bomb before the Nair for some bonus damage. It's free, easy and looks cool too :)
Anyways, I saw Darrel used more bombs than usual now during RoM 6. I like where this is going!

ManoxMano

Smash Journeyman
What should we be calling this new tech - bombland?

And JerkPhil - damn that's rough. But I think bomb jump combos are able to give us more damage and height

blu2grut

Smash Cadet
The term is already called wave bombing by the high PR players. It's not that new.

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
Oh, when I think about it, i use both. Wavebombing for gounded bombs, bomblands for wavelands after bombs when opponent is on platform.

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
I think there's better alternatives from the ledge. That's why I'm not using it.

Litt

Samus
Start watching at 1:30, and there are always better alternative Phil.. but when your opponent knows what is the optimal option... sometimes its best to use something called variety.... I know it may be a new concept to you, but when you switch up patterns and toss in new options, it allows you to be less predictable

ManoxMano

Smash Journeyman
Do you think that if you used that technique and got the bomb to hit you could bombland into something? Then I see use
Otherwise, very high risk high reward, def. not something to use when the other guy has time to react to a movement.
Maybe it could replace fair OOL, I'd have to test

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
Samus has many viable options on from the ledge. here's my personal list:
Uair->waveland back to ledge
Fair
Ledgehop B (uncharged)
(Hylian Lowrider if you're technical)
AI into what ever groundmove
Ledgehop on to stage
Ledgestand <100% is 32 frames where the first 30 are invincible. >100% is 58 frames where the first 55 are invincible.
If they shield, late Nair. We can also do K_Litts bomb (if they stand very close to the ledge, but I don't think it's viable otherwise).

Litt

Samus
Just laying a bomb there and rolling off... even if you dont grab the ledge, gives you so many options... your doubles jump back... and your grapple back if you used it... you can air dodge into a zair to hit your opponent, have the bomb cancel it, and go directly into fair, nair or dair. And the bomb acts as a little reminder to your opponent that if you go by the ledge, this is going to be more dangerous if you do something stupid and don't know exactly what I am going to do.

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
The bomb doesn't cancel Zair in PAL :(
I actually like if the opponent come close to the ledge.

Adict

Smash Cadet
im not too sure how well this would work in 1v1 play. its an ok thing to do (not great or recommended imho) in teams since theres so much going on your opponent is trying to keep an eye on both of you. but when your opponent is solely focused on what youre doing, i feel like you're going to get punished hard. if the spacies doesnt just avoid it by jumping and Dair-ing/shining you, they will likely just happily take the small amount of damage from a bomb and trade hits with an fsmash and get a better punishment on you. marth can just dtilt the hell out of the attempt, falcons too damn fast and can pretty much square dance around it and still punish it. i feel as if it has severe limitations.

just my opinion of course, i do see your side and agree that a good combination of options on the ledge is important and its likely they wont expect it, but i think its a slow enough tactic that any decent player can easily react to it.

Litt

Samus
well I have used it against a number of "decent" players... and it has been... very effective...

Top Bottom