• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Controller Interest??

Caboose

Smash Rookie
Hey guys,

I posted this message on the speed run reddit. I was wondering if you guys had any interest in getting a company to make some new, and possibly improved controllers as well. I had a couple idea for improvements. However, if you guys don't want improved ones and just was newly made original based controllers, Hopefully that could happen also. Ultimately I've watch speed runs a fair amount in the last couple months. I have heard multiple times on streams about the difficulty finding good controllers, I was hoping to get you guys interest level and everything else like that. Let me know what you guys thing about that idea with here or on the reddit page, or email me at c.brown@surrealgaming.net.

Chris "Caboose" Brown

tehz

Smash Apprentice
That would be amazing. Anything that emulated the Hori well would be great!

Honestly, though, the only thing I need is a replacement stick. All of the current options are flawed, with some being worse than others. The best option currently is to buy some German guy's custom printed PCB and solder some kinda tiny wires. If I could just buy a gamecube style stick in the N64 stick box, and just drop that stick into the controller, I'd buy like 10 right now.

Hell, if you just bought the PCBs from Germany and put them together I'd buy those too.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I agree, we really just need some new replacement sticks made.

Ideally GC style sticks that don't skip steps.

Or just quality OEM style replacements.

Annex

Smash Ace
I have a lot of friends with careers doing CAD stuff.
It'd probably be more accurate to create the geometry by hand than scanning, right?

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Part of the problem of continuing to support an old game like Super Smash Bros. is having to pay through the nose for controllers with tights sticks. Fortunately, I stocked up while they were still easy to find and affordable.

Several people have requested that new N64 controllers or new analog stick modules be produced but nobody's stepped up to the plate to create a quality product. I doubt they ever will.

It's probably smarter to start playing SSB64 on the Wii because that allows you to use the GameCube controller. We'll probably always have access to those now that Nintendo is getting ready to start selling them again for use with SSBWiiU.

caneut

Smash Ace
craigslist

"n64"

find controller

ask for best controller, say will pay more for best stick and why

stock up while can

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
It's probably smarter to start playing SSB64 on the Wii because that allows you to use the GameCube controller. We'll probably always have access to those now that Nintendo is getting ready to start selling them again for use with SSBWiiU.
Holy hell will you ever stop advocating that ****ing ****ty port and godawful controller

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
I'm just suggesting viable alternatives. Obviously many people are already using other input devices like the Xbox 360 controller to play Smash on their PC's.
Suggesting a ssb64 port that can't even maintain consistent framerate is not a viable alternative. And the 360 controller is much better than the gamecube controller since it has a normal face button layout and a normal set of shoulder buttons.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
My smash collection is bigger than the griz

so is my n64 controller collection
Picture or it didn't happen. ;)

Not only do I have a bunch of N64 controllers in near mint condition; I also take the added step of lubricating all of my controller's analog sticks with ceramic grease to help keep them from ever wearing out.

However, I love the GameCube controller and since I don't play Super Smash Bros. competitively I don't mind playing the Virtual Console version on my Wii.

Top Bottom