• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Character: Rainman

TrustTheFungus

Smash Cadet

Name:Rainman
Game:Hanafuda
Release:November 6, 1889

B: Red Ribbon (Spins with a Red Ribbon and reflects projectile attacks.)
Forward + B: Lightning (Shoots a bolt of lightning from the tip of his umbrella.)
Down + B: Toad (Rainman crouches down and releases a toad. The toad will hop around looking for an item. When it finds one it will slowly bring it back to Rainman. The toad can be attacked, but this is difficult due to it's small size. Rainman can only have one toad at the same time. The toad disappears after it brings Rainman an item, or Rainman is defeated.)
Up + B: Swallow (Rainman swings his umbrella around him, blocking himself from the players view for a little bit. During that time he turns into a swallow, and then flies upward)
Extreme Attack: November Willow (Attacks an opponent fiercely with his umbrella.)
Taunt: Sits down and takes a sip of sake.

(Might be a good idea to replace "Red Ribbon" with "Curtain", "Toad" with "Crane", "Swallow" with "Pheonix", and "November Willow" with "Full Moon". So that every 20 point card is represented. The above moveset contains only the November cards.(And September's Sake))

Chaps

Smash Apprentice
I really thought this thread was about a Megaman boss.

Unless I'm solely oblivious, I'm certain most people don't have a clue what Hanafuda is (I had to use the Wiki to figure it out), unless it's well-known in Japan. I think this is more of a cultural thing than a gaming thing, anyway (Third-party gaming was pushing it, card gaming is a whole other universe).

This is the same idea as trying to put in the Old Maid from Old Maid in SSB. I don't think this will work. Thanks for the history lesson though.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
lol. This thread wins. Screw Mr. Game and Watch, this is where Nintendo got it's start. Making Hanafuda. This would be an extremely hilarious WTF character. I approve.

Lefticle

Smash Journeyman
Despite the fact that Nintendo made hanafuda cards way back when hundreds of years ago, I don't know if hanafuda cards or combinations count as Nintendo characters.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
wtf, Nintendo made these cards in the late 1800s? If so, then yes, he'd be the next "wtf character"

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
Hmmm. One problem. Smash Bros is about video game characters. But I suppose throwing a card game character would be sort of outlandish and interesting.

So long as he replaces Game & Watch as the Nintendo Senior, and can actually fight. it might just be a good idea. Purely non-capitalistic too.

TrustTheFungus

Smash Cadet
Unless I'm solely oblivious, I'm certain most people don't have a clue what Hanafuda is (I had to use the Wiki to figure it out), unless it's well-known in Japan. I think this is more of a cultural thing than a gaming thing, anyway (Third-party gaming was pushing it, card gaming is a whole other universe).

This is the same idea as trying to put in the Old Maid from Old Maid in SSB. I don't think this will work. Thanks for the history lesson though.
1.Hanafuda is very popular in Japan. Nintendo still sells Hanafuda cards.
2.Iwata once said at E3, "The concept for SSB was taking classic, friendly Nintendo characters and have them, as you say in America, beat the heck out of each other." I do not believe it has ever been stated SSB is only for Nintendo's video game characters.
3.As far as I know, Nintendo has never made "Old Maid" cards, and if they have they weren't a important part of thier history like Hanafuda.
4.Solid Snake doesn't belong in SSB. :p

Lefticle said:
Despite the fact that Nintendo made hanafuda cards way back when hundreds of years ago, I don't know if hanafuda cards or combinations count as Nintendo characters.

I believe everyone considers characters from Shin Oni Ga Shima(Donbe & Hikari) and Yu Yu Ki to be Nintendo characters. And they are based on old Japanese Folktales.

Rash

Smash Ace
An interesting idea. However, he wouldn't work too well as a character; way too obscure. Maybe as an item? (what the item would do I have no idea)

TrustTheFungus

Smash Cadet
Rash said:
An interesting idea. However, he wouldn't work too well as a character; way too obscure. Maybe as an item? (what the item would do I have no idea)

Way too obscure to be a character? How do you figure that?

1.Mr. Game & Watch.
2.Popo & Nana.
3.Hanafuda is very popular. Rainman is one of the five cards worth 20 points. And could be considered more important than the other 20 point cards.
4.When has it been stated that if something is too obscure it can't be in SSB?
5.Obscure characters are awesome. There needs to be a lot more.

parrothead

Smash Lord
At first, I thought this was about that OCD person from that Tom Cruise movie of the same name.

TrustTheFungus said:
Way too obscure to be a character? How do you figure that?

1.Mr. Game & Watch.
2.Popo & Nana.
3.Hanafuda is very popular. Rainman is one of the five cards worth 20 points. And could be considered more important than the other 20 point cards.
4.When has it been stated that if something is too obscure it can't be in SSB?
5.Obscure characters are awesome. There needs to be a lot more.
I really hope they would also include Nintendo characters only from other countries, like Michael Jones (StarTropics and Zoda's Revenge; not to be confused with the rapper), Nester (Howard & Nester comics, To The Earth, Nester's Funky Bowling, and as Lark in Pilotwings 64), Captain N (Captain N comics and animated television show), and Tin Star (Tin Star).

TrustTheFungus

Smash Cadet
parrothead said:
At first, I thought this was about that OCD person from that Tom Cruise movie of the same name.

I really hope they would also include Nintendo characters only from other countries, like Michael Jones (StarTropics and Zoda's Revenge; not to be confused with the rapper), Nester (Howard & Nester comics, To The Earth, Nester's Funky Bowling, and as Lark in Pilotwings 64), Captain N (Captain N comics and animated television show), and Tin Star (Tin Star).
I don't think Nintendo owns Captain N, but I could be wrong. Another English-only character is Mr. Stevenson from Gumshoe. I think Vegas Stakes wasn't released in Japan, but I'm not quite sure any of the characters would work in SSB.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
parrothead said:
Captain N (Captain N comics and animated television show)
KEVIN KEENE, ****IT, KEVIN KEENE!

And no, Nintendo doesn't own Captain N anymore.

All the rights are belong to DiC Entertainment.

parrothead

Smash Lord
GaryCXJk said:
KEVIN KEENE, ****IT, KEVIN KEENE!

And no, Nintendo doesn't own Captain N anymore.

All the rights are belong to DiC Entertainment.
Captain N was created by Nintendo and he first appeared in Nintendo Power magazine, which means that Nintendo owns the character, not DiC Entertainment.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
parrothead said:
Captain N was created by Nintendo and he first appeared in Nintendo Power magazine, which means that Nintendo owns the character, not DiC Entertainment.
Not anymore. They gave up the rights.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
Hey dont be hatin cause of looks. They could make him look cool for SSBB! I mean think about it:

1.Pit used to look like a ****** in a toga:

now look at him:

2.How many times do you think Link change since his first creation?

*actual artwork*

To:

3.Look at this guy:

Why do I support this? Because I'm iterested in how Nintendo started and could be a history lesson for everyone else.

MIRAI87

Smash Journeyman
In response to an earlier post...

There is a leak loster floating around that contains both the rainman and Mike Jones.

I have my doubts, but it's interesting...as for rainman's inclusion...
That would be so awesome! 1800s Nintendo represent!

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
You know....I really like this idea, It would definitly be something unique and fun that Sakurai and Nintendo could do for brawl.

He looks like something I'd hate.......but I don't....it's weird. :confused:

I'd say he actually has a pretty good chance, if theres any nintendo character that will make people fall on the floor with shock it's this guy. ;)

Kiki52

Smash Journeyman
I like the idea of Rainman for Brawl. He could replace Mr. Game and Watch.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Did Nintendo actually invent this card game?

If not, No

Musica Amante

Smash Apprentice
To be honest I've been hoping for a Hanafuda cameo since Melee. It would be beyond awesome if there was a Hanafuda character, AT, or item in Brawl.

However, using old products/toys from Nintendo's past is really more of a WarioWare thing.

Top Bottom