• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New attack: Diagonal Tilts?

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
I've been practicing with Falco on Sandbag tonight... and I noticed something quite weird. I was doing some tilts, when I noticed I had done an attack I had not seen before.

I tilted diagonal down+a and I got it again. I tilted diagonal up+a and I got it the same, but instead of Falco doing a diagonal kick to the ground, he would do it up. I tested all his other tilts to make sure I wasn't doing something else, but I discovered that they really were different moves. Perhaps people already know about this, in that case I apologize.

Pics to come. I'm going to try testing it with other characters as well.

EDIT: Okay, after some testing, it appears as thought it barely makes any difference whether you diagonal tilt or not... however, there is a 2-5 percentile difference in damage. That doesn't make a gigantic difference, though. Some characters, like Ivysaur, cannot diagonal tilt. I'm going to keep testing just in case I find a character who has a worthwhile diagonal tilt.

Jeepy Sol

Smash Ace
Hate to burst your bubble, but directional tilts were also in Melee, and has already been confirmed for Brawl. It's nothing new. Nonetheless, good job finding it out for yourself.

Vigilant Gambit

Smash Journeyman
Oh my god. I had no idea. I just went into training mode and tried this. Diagonal directions slightly alter tilt attacks.

Hoooooooly ****.

This was in Melee? I had no idea. Anyway, yeah, I just tried it with Falco. Forward + Up A = diagonal kick up, forward A = horizontal kick, down + forward A = diagonal kick down. I wonder how this affects Snake...

mugwhump

Smash Journeyman
Really, they were in Melee? Haha I never knew that. Anyways, they only affect damage by 1-2 percent and don't affect knockback, so there's not much of an advantage to using them over regular ftilts.
Actually they don't do different damages, it only looked that way because you were getting stale moves. :bee:
In fact, unlike melee, it seems they don't even affect trajectory. :bee:

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Oh yeah, perhaps it was stale moves... but I was switching between regular tilts and diagonal tilts while resetting the training CPU HP to 0... who knows.
I've heard that in practice mode, stale moves doesn't apply.
Also...they've been in here since like...SSB64. Applies to forth certain Fsmashes and Ftilts. Take Falcon's Fsmash and Ftilt in SSB64 as an example. Samus's FSmash and Ftilt are also fairly obvious.

mugwhump

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah, perhaps it was stale moves... but I was switching between regular tilts and diagonal tilts while resetting the training CPU HP to 0... who knows.
Wait holy poopoo you're right! Yeah I didn't know you were in training mode. :bee:

I tested falco's which all do the same damage, but Samus' downwards and upwards ftilts do 2% more, and ZSS's down ftilt does 3% more! :bee:

edit: Huh, I tested Mario, Wolf, Falcon, Falco, Lucas, Ike, and Pokemon trainer, and none of their diagonal tilts do different damages. Wierd.

NeuralScan

Smash Cadet
I remember this in melee. It's useful for kicking shorter characters or crouching characters :) Ganondorf's foot would always fly over Kirby's head if you didn't direct it downwards :p

Neat that they do different damage now, though

KazenoZ

Smash Apprentice
Yea, this news is 7 years old now =P
Also known to be in brawl already, sorry man.

Nova X81

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4768-7615-3064
Switch FC
SW-1268-6324-2517
wow, if this is news, than what I say next may give you a heart attack...

....you can do this to certain smash attacks too.

( !! )

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I believe you could even do this in 64 with some characters. You could at least direct your smashes for Samus.

Eff_Soul

Smash Cadet
Yeah you could do it with smashes too in melee.Like mario's fsmash had a way better knockback angle once it was tilted diagonally up.I just find it awkrawd to implement it ito a real game though.(i just end up doing it regularly without the diagnoal.)

Top Bottom