• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Alienware Prototype Bears a Resemblance to the Switch

New_Alienware_Prototype.jpg

At CES 2020 Alienware showed off a new prototype called “UFO,”a piece of hardware similar to the Switch that plays PC games.

It runs a full setup of Windows 10, ideally playing any game you have on your PC, including Steam, Epic, and GOG titles. Like the Switch, it has detachable controllers on the sides and can hook up to a dock for TV play.

The unit punches higher than the Switch with a 1200p resolution screen, and better graphic fidelity. It contains USB C ports for charging, docking, and plugging in external devices, which include monitors.

The two controller halves split off via magnetic sliders, and can similarly snap into place on a “hub” to make a full hand-held controller. Since this prototype shows a full D-Pad on the left, it’s doubtful these controllers cannot act independent of each other.

Since this is just a prototype, no price or proper solidified details were unveiled. If a finished version releases, expect some concessions to be made along the way. It’s a device that may never actually see a commercial release. What it does generate: exciting ideas about what else can be done with portable gaming.

Author’s Note: When I was at Pokken tournaments during the Wii U era, there were a lot of weird constraints that made for a rough experience. The Switch allowed for easy friendlies, settings be saved to your system that you just drop in and out of a dock, and numerous other things benefits. Imagine that for a game like Tekken, Street Figher 5, or Fight of Animals.

Randy Marr

Comments

Welcome to the Salty Spitoon, how tough are ya?

How tough am I? I blatantly copied a video game system!

Yeah, so?

Without fear of Nintendo lawyers!

Oh! Right this way, sorry!

youd think theyd have gone for something more subtle
That was my thought too, but honestly? The Switch is pretty ideal, generally. Some little fiddly parts here and there, but I don't know that I would want much else than this design. You could even say the Switch is just a more flexible Vita!

That was my thought too, but honestly? The Switch is pretty ideal, generally. Some little fiddly parts here and there, but I don't know that I would want much else than this design. You could even say the Switch is just a more flexible Vita!
i wouldnt, the switch has always seemed well better than the vita to me

I should've seen this coming. What I'm really interested in with consoles like these are normalizing playing PC games on a TV.

I should've seen this coming. What I'm really interested in with consoles like these are normalizing playing PC games on a TV.
we all should have, honestly... for anyone else who isn't immediately aware, the Wii encountered a similar situation. after it became a runaway success, others tried to jump on the bandwagon with their own variants of it's concept, with the PS3's PS Move controllers being the most blatant of it. those who mention Kinect, though, might need a reminder of Playstation's "Eye Toy" peripheral for the PS2, which was a bit more iffy.

main difference this time around is that Alienware is just showing that other companies are examining the Switch's success and brainstorming how to get in on it.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Salty Spitoon, how tough are ya?

How tough am I? I blatantly copied a video game system!

Yeah, so?

Without fear of Nintendo lawyers!

Oh! Right this way, sorry!
The Nintendo NINJAS are the true thing to fear
(Thinking back to when Ulti was illegally downloaded before release)

Top Bottom