• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Neutral Stop, Foxtrots, Perfect Pivot, Swagwalk, Lightweight, Super Speed B-Reversal, etc.

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121
Hey guys, I just wanted to hear all of your collective thoughts on the fact on how fast Palutena can stop out of her Dash and her other ground movements. I'm gonna start off with some of my thoughts and hopefully we can develop some discussion/strategy. This post has no intention of any conclusive analysis on what to do but rather to provide the fundamental mechanics of Palutena's ground movement for everyone to see and discuss the potentials.

Every character can Dash and stop their Dash with Shield so the characters don't go into a sliding animation. This, of course, is a way of approach shared by every character. On the extreme side of the spectrum, Luigi in particular has an extremely slippery sliding animation that lasts for a very long time (I can't stand it. Not my playstyle) which is usually bad if unintentional/accidental, but it also has benefits since his Running Up-Smash is a great charged moving hit box.

Palutena, on the other hand, stops out of her Dash almost immediately and does not slide whatsoever. Palutena is not dependent on shield to brake her Dash. That being said, I would like to claim this can be an option to approach as Palutena. All characters can Dash -> Shield brake and then from there they are limited to whatever out of shield options or whatever move after they drop their shield. Palutena essentially has the option to skip dropping her shield. Palutena can Dash -> C-stick to neutral to brake, and then I guess from there she can do one of her best options aka Jab. (D-tilt is also fine as well, 9%, especially since it is her fastest grounded kill move at very high percentage)

Dash straight into Jab:
Note: You can actually hear her heels touch the ground (but not in this vine) which officially indicates her Dash has stopped and she is in her neutral state so you won't do a Dash Attack / Dash Grab. I guess trying to jab out of a Dash as fast as possible without accidentally doing a dash attack is something you can practice.
Compared to the traditional Dash -> shield -> whatever

You might say sure I guess that can be used as a mix up but it's not safe compared to Dash shielding. But to place this in proper perspective, the properties of the 'Dash -> Neutral Brake -> Jab' is pretty much in the middle of
'Dash -> Shield Brake' and 'Dash -> Dash Attack'.

But I get ya. I guess it would be more appropriate to claim 'Dash -> C-stick neutral Brake -> Jab' can be utilized as an option for spacing rather than approaching. You can't space this 'Dash -> Neutral Brake -> Jab' the same way as 'Dash -> Shield' right in front of your opponent. You have to Neutral brake earlier than you would usually do prematurely and have your jab cover you up front. I think mastering this is very important ESPECIALLY against Diddy Kong because Jab will beat thrown banana and Jab beats grabs. Seriously guys! Don't be a ***** and hold shield cuz of an effing banana! At least spam a bunch of single Jabs instead of shielding. I personally think well time Jab is the best way to deal with Sonic's spin dash as well.

So far it seems the meta for Palutena right now is to space with F-airs/D-airs but I don't see why not incorporate Fox's playstyle into Palutena's as well. Fox players tend to walk/run back and forth a lot in neutral since they don't have an aerial they can constantly be using to effectively space themselves. Fox's great dash grab and dash attack complements well with Fox's walk/run back and forth strategy. Palutena, however, has a very punishable Dash Attack / Dash grab so you can't use those moves to effectively emulate Fox's walk/run back and forth style; What you can use is her Dash -> Jab and Dash -> Shield + grab (in general avoid Dash grab at all cost); Dash Attack is fine too but be smart and don't get punished!
One of Palutena's best toolkit in her possession is a passive one: her ground mobility! She is the 10th fastest runner and 14th fastest walker. (37th in horizontal air movement, however) Source. She may not be the fastest runner/walker but combined with the fact that her Dash stops immediately... with the combination with her very strange Dash/Walk properties...

Which leads me to this second part... Her quirky Dash/Walk properties.

Other character subs have been discussing incorporating Foxtrots/Perfect Pivots and we really should start talking about this as well.

For Foxtrot distance can be very controllable. It can go pretty far and very short.
These Foxtrots just have a lot of potential for baiting because you are able to dash towards your opponent but at whatever pace you feel. You are not required to commit to a dash attack but Palutena's Foxtrot animation lasts for a long long time and you can do an extremely delayed dash attack/grab. Though Palutena Dash stops almost immediately, Palutena's Foxtrot has her in initial Dash state for a very long time. You can also F-Smash out of a Foxtrot as well!

I know Little Mac is one of the few characters that goes across stage faster with Foxtrotting than Dashing across. I am not sure about which is faster for Palutena. Someone please time these
Dash across stage:
Foxtrot across stage:

I'm sure you noticed though Palutena can stop out of Dash quickly, she has a really long turning the other way direction. Here is the comparison of turning around without stopping the dash and turning around after a complete stop:

PERFECT PIVOT
Now for the fun part. I'm guessing this will bring the most interest

Perfect Pivot + Jab
Palutena's perfect pivot distance is average at 3.5. (Highest C.Falcon is 6 and Lowest Jigglypuff is 2)
For a character who depends on her Jab tremendously, this appears to actually have real potential!

Since Palutena can stop her Dash quickly, here is an example of Perfect Pivot + Jab after a Dash
rather than a pivot tilt or something.

I wish I have cool videos showing real application of Perfect Pivots but unfortunately I suck too much to use this and am too stupid to know when exactly is the best situation to use this. But lol this is how it looks like guys haha

EDIT*: JK! Here is a video in action.

Swagwalking
Also as many of you already know by now, her really long Walk spin around distance shenanigans... an "advanced technique" called Swagwalking (I don't know what this is called) For some reason Palutena is able to cover a lot of distance when she's turning aroundThis straight up can be used to be unpredictable. Surprisingly moving around stage like this is totally fine because it's ridiculously very mobile. Swagwalking into a nicely spaced D-tilt can be very effective as well!

Try messing around with her ground movements combining everything I mentioned above!
Here's an exercise you can try:

Dash forward
Neutral Stop -> Single Jab x 2 -> Perfect Pivot Jab
Retreat Swagwalking into Perfect Pivot D-tilt then
Short Foxtrot Forward into immediate Long Foxtrot into
Delayed Dash Attack
Retreat Dash into Neutral stop Perfect Pivot Jab
Dash Dance before you Dash forward Neutral Stop and then Dash backwards Neutral stop then
Swagwalk back and forth across stage into a Swagwalk grab
pummel, then proceed the usual Down-throw shenanigans

Note: all the attack's should be aimed in the forward direction. Try to master it til it's smooth and not janky!

So yeah... I personally have been very active on the ground being very very erratic these days when I'm juggling and edgeguarding. Usually people patiently follow their opponents above trying to land back on stage when they are high in the air getting juggled getting ready for some sort of punish, while the opponent in the air is deciding where to land and getting ready to dodge. but I've been getting good results just by dashing/gliding around + spinning walking shenanigans in an erratic behavior around stage until my opponent is near levels where I can quickly close gaps with Palutena's quick speed and punish out of nowhere. You can tell the opponent has no idea where to land/react and have no idea what to expect.

I guess with all these different ground movements its easy to be unpredictable and bait with very little commitment.

Comparison between neutral stop and Shield stop out of Dash in Lightweight
Palutena does not neutral stop as instantaneously compared to her normal Dash. She slides a bit like every other character out of a dash but it still looks like to be on the quicker side than the average neutral dash stop. When Palutena's Lightweight expires and she is flashing and very slow, she neutral stops her slow dash even quicker than a normal neutral dash stop.

Lightweight foxtrot

Lightweight swagwalking
So freaking fast.

Lightweight Perfect Pivot Jabs and occasionally unintentionally doing a Dash Dance Delayed Dash Attack instead (haha)

Super Speed + B-Reversal Anti Momentum
There's been very cool Super Speed discoveries people found out and shared with us, such as conserving momentum by Jump Cancelling and other very cool things, but I haven't stumbled upon B-Reversals after Super Speed among the posts in Palutena's forum.

Again I can't really suggest anything or make any conclusions in terms of practicality, but it is definitely a unique property you should at least know exists.

Super Speed + Auto-reticle B-Reversal Anti Momentum

Before you conclude, "lol this looks cool but it ain't viable" I guess the "potential" of this that is noteworthy, is the fact Palutena is not doing a stationary Auto-reticle. This reminded me of this LONG fight in the Pikachu forum where one person was arguing how you should only always do a Full Hop thunderjolt because you have more mobility, while Short Hop thunderjolt and ground thunder jolt is the worst thing ever since you are left open with no control over movement. And the other person was saying Full Hop thunderjolt sucks cuz you are in the air longer, etc. etc. yada yada.
In this vine, I only focused on hitting the opponent and then doing Autoreticle (The auto-reticles is not a guaranteed hit whatsoever), but please just realize the option to not fully commit to superspeed and simply backing off with a Auto-reticle is there. In other words, I guess this can be seen as another option to cancel your Superspeed... But you are moving backwards while doing an Auto-Reticle. I am no means trying to hype this up and convincing you OMG THIS IS AMAZING.

Super Speed + Explosive Flame B-Reversal Anti Momentum
I can see some strong potential with this, even as a viable approach option. Unlike Super Speed + Auto-reticle B-Reversal where Auto-reticle can attack from behind/anywhere if the target is locked,
Super Speed + Explosive Flame B-Reversal results in an Explosive Flame right in front of or even fully surrounding Palutena!

____
As you can see, Palutena, especially with Lightweight, is very technically demanding and hard to control. I mean this entire post is mainly just talking about how to walk, dash, move around properly. The technicality is even more emphasized merely because of the fact if you unintentionally do a Dash attack or accidentally do a F-tilt (Gods forbid), then you're screwed.

One last thing I would like to share with you guys. I remember the very first time I tried Lightweight, I dismissed it because I thought it was a stupid, ridiculous, troll move cuz Palutena became an uncontrollable nonsense. But little by little, I've put some sense in Lightweight and now I can at least control it a bit. Some of these movement properties mentioned above may seem nonsensical because it is not only unorthodox and unintuitive, but also inhumanly not very easy to do. But at the very least, I hope this post addressed/acknowledged/distinguished the technical mechanics and properties of her controls/movements and hopefully now through this post we can practice not unintentionally doing things we didn't mean to do. One step at a time we'll get there. "There" meaning DBZ. Because Palutena is literally DBZ waiting to turn Super Saiyan 4.

Perhaps one day in the future a Palutena messiah will appear and show pure tight mastery of her control and it'll be divine.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Very interesting. Gonna practice with these.

These could be useful if we figure out how to apply them more universally and practically. Thanks for sharing! :3

xnine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xninebreaker
3DS FC
3582-8927-0427
Seeing some of these in action is really interesting. The perfect pivot + jab after dash looks really good.

Also, I've read about the spinning Palutena, but I wasn't really creative enough to think about ways to make it work. Using it while your opponent is descending from the air sounds hilariously effective. I'll have to try that as well as some of the other things you've mentioned.

Merfect

Learn your true self
NNID
Merfectman
I love using her weird movement during her turnaround animation, I actually find it to be almost as useful as wavedashing due to how far she can travel with it. It's also a lot easier to do consistently than Perfect Pivoting.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Yea her pivot walk (spinning around) is amazing. Even the CPUs do it all the time. It's very fast and like Merfectman said it's like wavedashing. Very mobile and allows you to stay in the ideal standing stance. Thankfully it's not that hard to do, especially with tap jump off.

So is Palutena the only one that can break like this with the C-stick? Dashing back and forth with the break looks really good, like a dash dance (I wonder if dash dancing turns faster or is it exactly the same?) but easier.

Retreating jabs will definitely be very useful in making the opponent very hesitant to straight up approach via ground, since the PP moves you behind where the point the opponent was targeting and thus gives you perfect spacing to punish.

Last edited:

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
Great first post! Thank you : >

I really should try to incorporate swagwalking more into my play ...

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121
Not super impressive or anything, my movement isn't very smooth but here is Perfect Pivot Jab and Dash Dance/Foxtrot delayed Dash Attack in action!

You can see Dash Dancing does have viable potential since it essentially lets you lean back a little. I am by no means an expert at doing any of these consistently and making everything look very smooth

Last edited:

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121
Okay guys I have an exercise/challenge for you guys to practice in training mode which combines all the ground movements I have mentioned above.

Dash forward -> Neutral Stop -> Single Jab x 2 -> Perfect Pivot Jab
Delayed Dash Attack
Retreat Dash into Neutral stop Perfect Pivot Jab then
Taunt then
Dash Dance before you Dash forward Neutral Stop and then Dash backwards Neutral stop then

Note: All Attacks should be aimed in the forward direction. Try to make it smooth and continuous!

Everyone please practice and all individually record and share your results with us!

Last edited:

Zediwonder

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZediWonder
3DS FC
5069-5322-3120
I never thought of trying to swagwalk to be unpredictable, it's not that hard to do and I tend to always just do it accidentally. With perfect pivoting, I don't know if it's going to be viable, I personally have to put my arm in a really weird position and move it different just to move fast enough, I'll try the challenge but I can only use my 3ds since I don't have my own wii u copy and everything is 100% harder on the 3ds, at the very least I'll try.

xnine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xninebreaker
3DS FC
3582-8927-0427
That delayed dash attack looks awesome. Very simple and very cool!

Zediwonder

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZediWonder
3DS FC
5069-5322-3120
I thought everyone knew about the delayed dash attack, I actually really hate it because I do it instead of jabs and get punished. I should dash to block instead to avoid it but bad habits die hard.

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121
I thought everyone knew about the delayed dash attack, I actually really hate it because I do it instead of jabs and get punished. I should dash to block instead to avoid it but bad habits die hard.
Yeah I'm sure everyone accidentally done the dash attack many many times when going for a jab. I guess this is focusing on intentionally doing a dash attack and the mechanics behind it and the fact you can delay it for so long.

If you want to jab, make sure to listen for her heels click the ground

Last edited:

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Definitely done it unintentionally before, but mixing up the approach with a dash dance is pretty clever. Thanks for the heads-up, JayWon!

samster

Smash Rookie
NNID
SamHdez
SwagWalking

I LOVE IT. I figured this out a while back and I love doing it out of the blue when I send someone flying away from me. It's super neat how it covers so much distance and very easy to do. As for the other movements, I'd probably have start practicing that dash + perfect pivot, that could be useful :]

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121
I never thought of trying to swagwalk to be unpredictable, it's not that hard to do and I tend to always just do it accidentally. With perfect pivoting, I don't know if it's going to be viable, I personally have to put my arm in a really weird position and move it different just to move fast enough, I'll try the challenge but I can only use my 3ds since I don't have my own wii u copy and everything is 100% harder on the 3ds, at the very least I'll try.

I updated/added more to the Exercise for everyone to try and practice. I recommend to practice the harder mechanics individually before you try to connect them together smoothly. I believe the real benefit of this exercise is the fact you are intentionally doing each of the movement and actively being aware of what to do next. This essentially is training/familiarizing your mind to plan and be purposeful with these movements and then actually being able to follow up by actually doing it. You are not fighting a real person or an attacking AI on this exercise but while you are doing the exercise try to imagine why you might be doing these movements.

Here's the exercise again for convenience:

Dash forward -> Neutral Stop -> Single Jab x 2 -> Perfect Pivot Jab
Delayed Dash Attack
Retreat Dash into Neutral stop Perfect Pivot Jab then
Taunt then

Note: All Attacks should be aimed in the forward direction. Try to make it smooth and continuous!

Everyone please practice and all individually record and share your results with us!

Quick update/suggestions:

Just want to tell you guys, I'm sure you experienced by now you can't really Jab into grab against Captain Falcon cuz they'll just jab right away after grab.

Try this instead:
Jab -> Dash Dance (to move back a bit and not get hit by his Jab) -> Dash Attack

The problem with this however is them being conditioned to now shield and thus dash attack will be shield grabbed.
Then of course you can go back to just Jab -> grab. But now it kinda becomes a 50/50 chance scenario.

BUT If you're reflexes/reactions are fast enough, Jab -> Dash Dance -> either Dash Attack / Dash Grab will always be in your favor and no longer becomes a 50/50 if you can react to them either shielding or rapid jabbing.

Last edited:

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
C-stick to neutral to brake? What does this mean? Pressing C-stick down or side while dashing always performs a dash attack.

Last edited:

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Definitely going to be practicing some of these. Thanks for putting this together! I want to see what "swagwalking" can do for my approaches and mixups. Also, I absolutely love that name. It's perfect.

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121
Guys I just updated this post with a lot more movement options concerning Lightweight and Super Speed B-Reversals. Tell me what you think!

xnine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xninebreaker
3DS FC
3582-8927-0427
I've always thought that lightweight was Palutena's best custom, with superspeed coming in equal or slightly below it. She just goes SO FAST lightweight. Look at those perfect pivot jabs! Goodness gracious. Swag walking on the other hand becomes exponentially much harder to do.

Anyways, thanks for putting up the new options. It's all pretty cool. The b-reversal out of superspeed looks kind of wild, I'll have to try it out later.

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
Can someone please explain how to use the C-stick for neutral braking? When C-stick is set to Attack, any C-stick input while dashing always seems to perform a dash attack.

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121
Can someone please explain how to use the C-stick for neutral braking? When C-stick is set to Attack, any C-stick input while dashing always seems to perform a dash attack.
Sorry for causing confusement. I use the Pro controller so I'm insensitive to what I call my analog sticks. C-stick as in Control Stick or the left Joy Stick. Not the Yellow C-Stick or Right Control Stick. Thankfully, Neutral stop is a piece of cake (if I was better at being clear!) so don't you stress no more!

Dash -> Neutral Stop -> Jab
:GCR: -> :GCN: -> :GCA:

Try to listen for her heels to touch the ground before pressing A, otherwise you'll do a Dash Attack.

But everything else is hard :(

Last edited:

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I'm convinced that perfect pivot was not meant to be performed on the new Smash GCN controllers, haha.

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121
I don't know if you guys noticed but almost all of my perfect pivot examples shown go to the right. I can finally do it with a ~75% success rate... but only that direction. The other direction my thumb muscle can't handle/find the rhythm. 3 out of 20 if i'm lucky.

Kwigles

Smash Rookie
this is really helpfull i'm glad someone went really in depth with palutena considering people seem to find her really bad. I like the usage of her odd mobility it actually really helps a lot xD.

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
Maximizing Palutena's jab with these movement techniques have been effective in 1v1 For Glory. Most of my opponents quickly learn to fear the jab and do not approach as recklessly. The downside is that most matches now time out and reach sudden death for me..

Zediwonder

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZediWonder
3DS FC
5069-5322-3120
I just can't seem to get the perfect pivot into anything down, I can't do it consistently no matter how much I practice and if I try for a pp jab and screw it up I'd end up dash attacking and getting punished. Does anyone have luck pulling this off in actual matches? I think there's something about the way I'm doing the movement that's wrong, I can nail it 1 or 2 times in a row but I always screw up after that.

edit: nvm I literally just started getting it like 100% by changing the way I did the movement

Last edited:

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121
Maximizing Palutena's jab with these movement techniques have been effective in 1v1 For Glory. Most of my opponents quickly learn to fear the jab and do not approach as recklessly. The downside is that most matches now time out and reach sudden death for me..
?? Did you drastically change your usual playstyle? This post wasn't to encourage Palutena players to completely change their playstyle. You can do what you usually have been doing but now you also have the additional option to Dash -> Jab

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
?? Did you drastically change your usual playstyle? This post wasn't to encourage Palutena players to completely change their playstyle. You can do what you usually have been doing but now you also have the additional option to Dash -> Jab
My style has become more aggressive. Before I used to stay immobile while using jab, so I relied on the opponent to make mistakes and carelessly run into me. Now I can close the gap myself with dash jab, and now it's the opponent that's playing more cautious and defensive, in fear of Palutena's jab flinch that opens them up for grabs and other combos.

Bizbang

Smash Rookie
NNID
Philogagger
3DS FC
4639-8950-7984
Wowow. Thank you for sharing your discoveries. Cannot wait to sit around an tinker with it myself. I'll share anything I come across and how it changes my playstyle (if any).

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
I find swagwalking to be challenging to use in practice, because I'm never 100% sure which side my jab is going to come out from. The right? The left? I have no clue because of the twirling. Too many times I've swagwalked, only to jab an incoming opponent in the opposite direction like a moron.

It's good when you are not in neutral with the opponent, like if the opponent was flung across the screen and you want to close the gap in an interesting way. But when the opponent is standing right there, ready to dash into you at any time, swag walking is very difficult to use.

Last edited:

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121
Just want to tell you guys, I'm sure you experienced by now you can't really Jab into grab against Captain Falcon cuz they'll just jab right away after grab.

Try this instead:
Jab -> Dash Dance (to move back a bit and not get hit by his Jab) -> Dash Attack

The problem with this however is them being conditioned to now shield and thus dash attack will be shield grabbed.
Then of course you can go back to just Jab -> grab. But now it kinda becomes a 50/50 chance scenario.

BUT If you're reflexes/reactions are fast enough, Jab -> Dash Dance -> either Dash Attack / Dash Grab will always be in your favor and no longer becomes a 50/50 if you can react to them either shielding or rapid jabbing.

sleepy_Nex

Smash Journeyman
This is super nice. finally a thread where this is detailed explained. Time to learn the technical stuff.

TastyCarcass

Smash Apprentice

Try this instead:

I'd say Fox has the same issue. I believe these two matchups to be Palutena's worst, this adds to the reasons why.
The thing is, they probably won't shield if you land a jab, since they know it's a multi hit. I just don't think it's worth going for.

Top Bottom