• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Neutral game against Marth?

$alsa

Smash Cadet
NNID
itzall1848
What should I do in the neutral game against Marth and what are some ways I should approach?
And is the neutral game largely different for certain characters?

SwiftOfDaSouth

Smash Journeyman
SHFFLd Nairs and Up airs and knee to punish missed tech / laggy mistakes

Usually don't want to get above him lest he smack you with his sword, but its really all about feeling your opponent out

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
I usually don't jump until he swings, or I read a grab. As soon as you land a grab, though, Marth is dead.

Jaymoney

Smash Rookie
As soon as he wiffs a grab or smash attack, go nuts on him. Theoretically, once you get the combo starter with a SHFFL nair or some other move, you can combo him to death because of his floaty-ness.

SwiftOfDaSouth

Smash Journeyman
True, you should be trying to take every combo to its fullest potential with Falcon, but let's slow down here. One step a a time, you know? Falcon should always be moving against Marth: Dashdancing, wavelanding, moonwalking if you know how. This movement and spacing can be used to bait out attacks that are easily punishable with a shffl'd knee, stomp, or raptor boost, or grab. Once he's in hitstun, upairs and nairs are always good choices to carry him across the stage for a knee or other finisher.

The tricky part to all this? Actually starting the combo. Be very, very weary of that sword and what it can do at any given time, and you'll be fine.

$alsa

Smash Cadet
NNID
itzall1848
As soon as he wiffs a grab or smash attack, go nuts on him. Theoretically, once you get the combo starter with a SHFFL nair or some other move, you can combo him to death because of his floaty-ness.
True, you should be trying to take every combo to its fullest potential with Falcon, but let's slow down here.
This is really useful, thanks. I just learned/still learning how to moonwalk, just need to work on my movement and spacing.
for the most part I have my SHFFLs and combos down, but I'll still work on those.

Astrumqt

Smash Rookie
I usually don't jump until he swings, or I read a grab. As soon as you land a grab, though, Marth is dead.
This is good advice. Being above Marth suuuucks. His utilt will win 9/10 times.

With that said though, Marths who wavedash around spamming dtilt is really hard to deal with. Even if you read it it's hard to punish.

Last edited:

Gorō

Smash Rookie
keep your spacing tight, wait for an opening and abuse your speed to get grabs.

D

Deleted member

You can chaingrab Marth with D-Throw, U-Air strings are nice too, Nair at a high percentage into missed tech knee is nice too.

Also, play patiently against Marth. To me, Marth's game revolves around perfectly spaced aerials, sweetspots, and punishing. Just space your aerials correctly, and punish missed Marth F-Smashes.

Coyle

Smash Cadet
This is good advice. Being above Marth suuuucks. His utilt will win 9/10 times.

With that said though, Marths who wavedash around spamming dtilt is really hard to deal with. Even if you read it it's hard to punish.
My buddy sometimes does that so I bunny hop back and forth spam dair

Morbellix

Smash Rookie
Marth is a tricky match up. You have to rely on your movement and the fact that you're faster than him and should be able to 0 to death him every time. I use a lot of tricky movement options to sneak in u-airs or n-airs and then combo off of that. The Marths I play against have a bad habit of getting scared and throwing their shield up once i get in on them with aggressive dash dancing and platform movement and that's a really good time to go for a well placed aerial to shield poke or what i like to do and tomahawk them and get the grab. Off of a grab you can get really nice combo's on Marth. You really want to pay attention to how they DI your throws and if they like to try to jump out of a potential chain grab. If you see them burn their double jump that's when i'd strongly advise for you to turn the burners on, get under them and punish hard with some u-airs into whatever you like. One last thing is shield dropping. This is becoming more and more important as the melee metagame advances. Its absolutely amazing on Falcon. If they fair your shield when you're on a platform, shield drop uair. They uthrow you under a platform, you tech in place, and they are late with the utilt, shield drop uair or knee. Its honestly amazing and really helps Falcon stand toe to toe with the rest of the top tiers.

Top Bottom