• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Neutral Air Jab Lock

MadCanard

Smash Apprentice
I was watching a Pink Fresh Lucas match from Nov 15 and noticed he jab locks Roy on the Smashville platform using what appears to be the first hit of neutral air.

He up tilts Roy from the stage so that he lands and misses the tech on the moving platform. Then he hops and Nairs, but because the platform is moving he only connects with the first Nair hit.

I didn't realize Nair could jab lock.

Here's the gfy: https://gfycat.com/BreakableIncompleteAzurevasesponge

Thoughts?

MrWhYYZ

Smash Journeyman
It's known that the first 4 hits all jab lock but it's usually just random luck than actually getting the jab-lock. The first 3 sourhits of D-air also jablock in a similar fashion.

lui3k

Smash Cadet
thoughts? that he looks bad ass w that hoodie and facemask lol im so sad he dropped lucas for bayo.... and we cant even be mad at him look how good he is doing now... damn it lucas why you suck

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
I was watching a Pink Fresh Lucas match from Nov 15 and noticed he jab locks Roy on the Smashville platform using what appears to be the first hit of neutral air.

He up tilts Roy from the stage so that he lands and misses the tech on the moving platform. Then he hops and Nairs, but because the platform is moving he only connects with the first Nair hit.

I didn't realize Nair could jab lock.

Here's the gfy: https://gfycat.com/BreakableIncompleteAzurevasesponge

Thoughts?
With the way jab locks work, any hit that doesn't lift a character off the ground causes a jab lock. Lucas's nair uses a wonky 367° angle which, instead of pushing an opponent in the direction Lucas is going (the way a 366 auto-link angle would), pulls the opponent into the hitbox. In that gfycat Lucas was rising from below Roy, so the 367° angle pulled him into the ground, which caused him to become jab locked.

All the angles that can jab lock are 0°, 180°-359° (except if they cause the opponent to bounce), 361° (before 42%, but also depends on knockback), 366° (only while moving downwards), and 367° (which I just explained).

Last edited:

Piipp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZebraJammiez
3DS FC
2681-1864-8125
I remember seeing that. I wouldnt really use it as my way of jab locking them. Id just stick with the dthrow, footstool, dair.

Top Bottom