• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Network Issue Headaches

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Okay, so...everything worked fine when I was on Comcast. My IP address only changed when I reboot my router, so it's practically static; I could go months without a change. I could freely remote to my home computer or stream video with Air Video to my iPad from my home computer anywhere.

I recently switched to Qwest, as they offer fiber in my area which is significantly faster than Comcast's speeds. I'm currently getting 40 mbps down, at $20 a month, and it's fantastic; but I've had all sorts of connectivity problems as my IP address changes very often.

I eventually set up a domain and have a utility to update my IP address so the domain always points towards my current IP address (see: no-ip.org), and this worked for a while.

Three days ago, everything broke inexplicably.

It seems to coincide with another IP address change, but I've written down the IP address and can confirm it from my home PC. If I go to an outside PC, I cannot ping my IP address, nor can I remote to it (using either the IP address or the domain), nor does Air Video connect to it.

I got Air Video to work very briefly last night, then it wasn't working again in the morning. I'm here at work now, and can't ping or remote in to the home computer.

If I'm not mistaken, the router should respond to ping requests itself, correct? So my inability to ping means it's likely not even a PC problem?

Anyone have any thoughts or things for me to check?

Gea

Smash Master
What type of router you got, Praxis? Sorry this is so effin' slow, lol. And did you change your router when you changed companies? It could just be security settings on your router. Also are you talking about you having issues with your local IP changing, or global IP? If anything it sounds like ports are closed on your router to me, but...

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Global IP- my local stuff is all hard set. While my router assigns via DHCP, I've told it to always give my PCs the same IP addresses based off of their MAC addresses.

I eventually got this working by a hard reboot of both the PC and the router (off for sixty seconds). Not sure what the hangup was, but it's working now :)

Top Bottom