• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Netplay not as good since 7161...

Holy Wars

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, sorry if I'm posting this is the wrong area or whatever. But me and my friend have been having troubles with netplay since the release of 4.0-7161. Literally, the day before downloading it and trying it, it was perfect and playable (on Dolphin 4.0-6554). So it sounded simple...just switch back to 6554, but when we did that, it was just as bad. I figured since I play on anther's ladder, I might as well just deleted 6554 and use 7161. I asked someone on there if they too noticed the difference and they replied with, yeah, I think there is something wrong with the traversal server. Not sure if this is the case or what, but the game I loved to play is now unplayable for me and not as enjoyable.
I guess I just want to see if anyone else is having a problem with it.

Thanks.

Holy Wars

Smash Rookie
Remember when Netplay a while ago wasn't all too great? Like a lot of your inputs were being ignored? That's what it's like. I am not able to put inputs in at a decent rate without my character doing something i didn't tell him to do. Today when I played with a friend, I tried up tilting and about 4 or 5 times in the match he did a up smash, or I would try to shoot lasers as Falco and he does the over B.

Y-L

Smash Champion
If anything it's probably a controller configuration problem rather than the version of dolphin.

Holy Wars

Smash Rookie
If anything it's probably a controller configuration problem rather than the version of dolphin.
Hmm. But I didn't change anything at all, should I try to re-do the drivers for the adapter maybe? Btw, me and my friend played PM last night and today and it was perfect. So now I'm even more confused.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Hmm. But I didn't change anything at all, should I try to re-do the drivers for the adapter maybe? Btw, me and my friend played PM last night and today and it was perfect. So now I'm even more confused.
If you want to you could. If you're using direct connect I have trouble believing your controller isn't working correctly.

Holy Wars

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I'm using direct connect. I really just don't know what the problem is. It's quite annoying.

Holy Wars

Smash Rookie
What if It has something to do with the settings? I could take a screen shot of each window and you could tell me if I have something wrong?

Y-L

Smash Champion
The settings have nothing to do with the controller settings though if direct connect is checked. If you used the vjoy driver before, uninstall that. You could try going through device manager and uninstalling the driver for the adapter and reinstalling it.

Holy Wars

Smash Rookie
The settings have nothing to do with the controller settings though if direct connect is checked. If you used the vjoy driver before, uninstall that. You could try going through device manager and uninstalling the driver for the adapter and reinstalling it.
I just meant what if something in the settings were messing it up, not the controller. But thanks I'll try.

Y-L

Smash Champion
no i noticed this too, a lot more desynchs lately where it used to be i could play for hours and hours without desynching once.
Unrelated to OP's issue, but with the 7161 update there was a desync detector added so now you can actually troubleshoot your desyncing issues yourself. If it says desynced on frame 0 or 1 then you know that it's not random and you're actually desynced as soon as the game starts (you may not notice it yet though). Which means you guys have different settings or something.

KillerGum

Smash Cadet
Unrelated to OP's issue, but with the 7161 update there was a desync detector added so now you can actually troubleshoot your desyncing issues yourself. If it says desynced on frame 0 or 1 then you know that it's not random and you're actually desynced as soon as the game starts (you may not notice it yet though). Which means you guys have different settings or something.
If it says you desynched on frame 0 or 1 then 99 times out of 100 it is a "ghost desynch" and you actually didn't desynch. It happens basically every time the game boots up and I don't have problems.

Y-L

Smash Champion
If it says you desynched on frame 0 or 1 then 99 times out of 100 it is a "ghost desynch" and you actually didn't desynch. It happens basically every time the game boots up and I don't have problems.
These phantom desyncs are technically a desync; your data isn't the same. However some of these don't have enough effect to actually mess up your game play (I.e texture mods).

Slurzen

Smash Cadet
well 7161 is great, but no one has used other versions since the 80s

pagedMov

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pagedMov
7161 has been all sorts of trouble for me as well. Texture mods have started causing desyncs for some reason, Dolphin crashes every single time I close Melee etc.

Last edited:

Massive

Smash Champion
Texture mods have always had the capacity to cause desyncs in dolphin. If you want to maintain sync it is essential that both machines process and load the data at as close to the same speed as possible.

Asymmetrically loading textures or having to rebuild your cache for a few frames because you added a new texture can totally wreck the delicate clock sync dolphin relies on to match up your random seeds.

Top Bottom