• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness's New Tilts?

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
So Ness has a modified uptilt and downtilt.

Uptilt: 5% sourspot (below) 7% sweetspot (PSI Orb, pretty high above) sweet can kill around 135% from ground, sour from 155%.

Downtilt: 2% sourspot (far) 4% sweetspot (close) of course, neither kills, but is VERY fast and spammable with extremely low knockback, if any at all. Also has a decent chance of tripping.

So, what are the applications of these, and where can I implement them into my game? Because I feel like usmash covers more area and is safer, and downtilt is risky, and if it doesn't trip, useless for anything but interrupting a move.

Taash

Smash Rookie
I've been playing with the down tilt trying to find some good applications. The trip is too inconsistent to really plan for, and it makes it hard to follow up with anything, but I've had a certain amount of luck just spamming out two or three down tilts before doing a basic jab combo. If you get a couple sweet spots on the down tilt, you can do a surprising amount of extra damage that way.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Utilt is alright, it got nerfed from Brawl as it has less horizontal range. It's nice for low ground juggles, but since dair is just bad now it's hard to set those up with Ness. The best way to start a juggle with it from my experience is a landing uair.

Dtilt is just bad. Not enough priority, pitiful range, low damage, the hitstun is so bad that the enemy can shield in between a flurry of dtilt hits, trip is unreliable, and even if you do trip with it, if the opponent gets up ASAP the bat won't connect (a grab might though). Jab is just about has fast and has tons more range, and is overall more reliable. If you need a downwards attack in front of you, use ftilt angled down.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
What EB360 said about DTilt. I loved it in Brawl, but it really isn't useful in smash4 because nearly anyone can hit you after you use the move. It's a good un-expected thing, but beyond that jab is more reliable because people can't shield between the 2nd and 3rd hit anymore (as far as I know). That was one of my major reasons for using it back then.

UTilt has a lot of disjoint above him, but because it lacks the horizontal range, it's a bit tricky to hit. It hits Greninja through his DAir if you're godly with reactions. I put this move in a class similar to Shulk's UAir: sure it can kill pretty well and has good disjoint above, but because there's no horizontal range it's VERY difficult to reliably hit people who are above you. There are better moves that can cover more horizontal range (Our UAir, shulk's FAir/NAir)

Last edited:

Noa.

Smash Master
I never use dtilt. It seems overshadowed in use by jab and ftilt.

I view utilt as a move that is hard to connect, but you get a decent reward if you hit it. You can sometimes get two or three utilts in a row, followed by one or two uairs. Depends on character weight and percentage etc.

Meccs

@Meccs_
I love Utilt in 4. I mean I loved it in Brawl too, but I feel like it's underrated now.

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
What about combos, and situations and such? WHEN should I use utilt and dtilt, if ever? Because a good player knows how and when to use all of their character's moves.

Last edited:

Noa.

Smash Master
I use utilt when both characters are on top of each other and I want to punish a spotdodge. But they literally have to be on top of you. You can also land utilt to punish a landing but I'd rather just use uair since it's easier to connect.

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
I just did some testing, and utilt seems to kill at percents just slightly higher than usmash, both sweetspotted.

EarthBoundEnigma

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EarthBoundEnigma
Downtilt is extremely situational, but it can actually be somewhat useful against the short characters and actually works against shadow sneak... (lol why would you when you can just hold A and a regular jab would interrupt Greninja with a jab combo)
If I'm not mistaken, I've used it to clink short character's dash attacks. If they happen to trip, you can always attempt to punish, but if they don't, just jab combo.

Ness has a lot of useless moves this time around. It is pretty disappointing. It increases the impact of stale moves and reduces your options.

Top Bottom