• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Resource icon

Guide Ness's Back Air cancel slide

hspiller17

Smash Rookie
hspiller17 submitted a new guide:

Ness's Back Air cancel slide - easily use ness's back air to slide for mixups, ledge cancels, and mindgames

I'm not sure if this has been discovered or not but I thought that I should put it up anyway. If you use ness's back air right before you land, ness will slide a good distance backwards and turn around without lag. If done correctly, you will cancel the back air and hear the first little bit of its sound affect. This can be very useful and can function like a wave dash because their is not any lag. One example of its use is this: run towards your opponent and then do a reverse aerial rush to...
Read more about this guide...

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
What the hell??
I don't main Ness. The only reason why I'm following this forum is because Ness was my first competitive main in Brawl, but I don't feel like I've seen this in Smash 4, ever.

Video please? Surely, a demonstration of this would take much less than 3 minutes (and therefore, uploadable to YouTube/Miiverse)

Last edited:

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
This sounds interesting but we need some sort of video or more detailed and concise way of doing this. I know its really exciting to find new tech and share it but be sure to be as clear, concise and descripitive as physically possible. If you aren't nobody will be able to perform the tech. A video would help tremendously.

hspiller17

Smash Rookie
This sounds interesting but we need some sort of video or more detailed and concise way of doing this. I know its really exciting to find new tech and share it but be sure to be as clear, concise and descripitive as physically possible. If you aren't nobody will be able to perform the tech. A video would help tremendously.
I will post a video of it in a little bit

hspiller17

Smash Rookie
What the hell??
I don't main Ness. The only reason why I'm following this forum is because Ness was my first competitive main in Brawl, but I don't feel like I've seen this in Smash 4, ever.

Video please? Surely, a demonstration of this would take much less than 3 minutes (and therefore, uploadable to YouTube/Miiverse)
I just posted the video. Take a look if you'd like.

hspiller17

Smash Rookie
I posted a video of it.

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
Ok I was trying this before the vid was up and was kinda confused LOL. But it looks like you're turning around with the analog stick after you land with the Bair as opposed to the Bair actually turning you around? That was the confusing thing to understand lol.

Anyway I think it's a neat mixup option, might start getting even more Bair happy now :D

Also just a note (not trying to mini-mod)... Please don't post consecutively to respond to others. Click on edit/modify for future reference please :)

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
I just posted the video. Take a look if you'd like.
Yo, just so you know, double posting is against the rules of the boards, but you're new, so I think the mods will let you off the hook this time. Just don't do it again. You can quote multiple people in the same post.

I posted a video of it.
Like so.

Anyway, it looks like you've autocancelled the aerial in the frames that come up before the hitboxes come out-- similar to how Kirby can cancel his dairs in the same way. (Ness can do this with his dairs too, which is how fullhop PKF -> dair worse)
And you're using the analog stick as opposed to the c-stick to input bair, correct? Because in the video, it seems like you've autocancelled the bair, then you're walking the opposite direction. Maybe Ness goes really fast at the start of his walk? (as opposed to some characters who take a bit of time to speed up to the full speed of the walk)

The one you did at 0:20 looked really, really weird, but maybe it was because of the framerate of the camera. Or maybe his stage collision hitboxes (that determine Ness's position) is flat during the bair, and autocancelling it made you slide further?? I don't know...

Last edited:

PeterCat12

Smash Rookie
Yeah this is just a sliding pivot with a auto-cancelled or cancelled bair (was not aware that bair autocanceled?)

Top Bottom