• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness; worth playing?

ShortcutButton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShortcutButton
So lately, I've been feeling great with my play of Pit. After 3 months of playing mainly Pit, I feel like I can be on par with others locally as well as around the top 2 thirds of FG. Maybe. The question now, is, who backs him up?

I've narrowed it down to 4 potential secondaries: Ness, Mega Man, Duck Hunt, and Shulk. Of course I like playing all four, but I don't know which one I want to play at a semi-competitive level.

You being Ness players, please tell me: what does he have over the other two that makes him exciting to play and worth putting time into? Is Ness worth playing?

Last edited:

SewenNewes

Smash Rookie
NNID
wikestar
Of the characters you listed Ness has the easiest time KOing imo. He's got the best bthrow in the game and multiple ways of landing a grab consistently. Ness is certainly unique because of the properties and utility of some of his moves but he's actually a pretty standard character in terms of playstyle.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
So lately, I've been feeling great with my play of Pit. After 3 months of playing mainly Pit, I feel like I can be on par with others locally as well as around the top 2 thirds of FG. Maybe. The question now, is, who backs him up?

I've narrowed it down to 4 potential secondaries: Ness, Mega Man, Duck Hunt, and Shulk. Of course I like playing all four, but I don't know which one I want to play at a semi-competitive level.

You being Ness players, please tell me: what does he have over the other two that makes him exciting to play and worth putting time into? Is Ness worth playing?
Ness has the most reliable kill move in the game (even taking Bthrow out of the equation he has like 5 billion other kill moves, including Bair which I'm sure pit misses very much :troll:), along with some very strong combos and incredible juggling game with OoS Nairs and PKT and other stuff.

He's also pretty amazing at pressuring against characters with below average mobility and has enough mobility himself to compete/punish those with higher mobility.

Except for Sonic. That hedgehog is craaaazy. But he's like our only -2 MU so <33333

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
You think it's 7-3? Oh come on its 6.5 at worst
7:3? Goodness gracious, that's -3 territory there my friend. Sonic is between 60:40 - 65:35 at worst, if you compare this kind of -2 to a -2 we had in Brawl (say, G&W), he's far tamer than that.

Link24a

Smash Journeyman
7:3? Goodness gracious, that's -3 territory there my friend. Sonic is between 60:40 - 65:35 at worst, if you compare this kind of -2 to a -2 we had in Brawl (say, G&W), he's far tamer than that.
Oh... I didn't quite understand. I thought 5-2=3 and that would make it 7:3

rosetta_stoned

Smash Apprentice
Cool man, Pit's a cool character i've been working on him a little bit lately but nothing too serious. I prefer him over his dark counter-part mainly because of his arrow di.

Theres no wrong choice out of all of those so you likely have the answer already - don't make the decision harder than it needs to be. I'm sure coming here with that question most are going to give biased opinions that you should choose ness - and I'm no different. I think shulk is another great option and the reason I recommend those 2 over the other is because I believe ness and shulk allow more room for creativity AND I personally don't find zoning characters like DHD or MM fun to use or play against. If a zoning character appeals to you however, then definitely go for one of them.

I think anyone who mains ness all share a common trait - eccentricity to some regard ( and I mean that in a good way) whether it be his play style in this game or even the mother games he originates from. So if you find yourself a person who dares to think or do a little differently and prides yourself on it then that's probably a good sign ness is a good fit.

EDIT: I notice too that sonic is in your avatar which might not mean **** as technically charizard is in mine but charizard is not one of my go-to characters. But without trying to make things even more confusing than they already are sonic might be a good pic as well.

Last edited:

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Ness plays like a power character, but has the mobility and stature of a small character. On top of that, his reward per hit is phenomenal due to his combo and setup based gameplay. He likes to rely on aerials and grabs for the meat of his damage, and plays an up close in-your-face kind of game generally. On top of that, he has some of the best KO moves in the game. Ness literally embodies the "big things, small package" archetype in this game. If you can tolerate a mediocre recovery, Ness will serve you well.

Last edited:

EarthBoundEnigma

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EarthBoundEnigma
To play Ness well, you may also need to have the kind of personality that tolerates uncertainty and risk, while also enjoying trickery and mind games. A solid Ness isn't unafraid to use Ness' high-risk-high-reward abilities when the odds are favorable, and isn't bothered by the uncertainty of his recovery. A strong Ness knows that PKT is the most important move of all, limited only by your ability to come up with how to use it in each round, to trick and mix-up the opponent.

Blueman12

Smash Rookie
NNID
Blue15324
3DS FC
1564-3456-9986
Other SSB's (minus PM) have not been kind to our boy.

This game changed that and made him a high tier viable.

O N E T T B O YS

Top Bottom