• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness vs Villager

xRucifer

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I have a quick question. How do you guys deal with an aggressive/defensive Villager? I feel like the only timesIcan do damage on him arefrom his rockets to fairs and I beat him with my fair first. I also can't seem to get in to doany significant strings against a very good villy! Any tips would help! Thanks!

EnhaloTricks

Smash Apprentice
You just have to be patient. Learn how far his fair and bair hit and put yourself right out of range, especially when edgeguarding. Bat back Lloyd's and if he catches one it makes recovering a lot easier since he can't pocket PKT1. Also, don't go offstage for edgeguards; it's a deathwish if you mess up.

You just have to keep the pressure on. Villager thrives in the mid-range/trap-setting kind of game. If you don't give them room to work they can't set anything up. If they're being aggressive make sure to powershield and punish. We have better OoS options and, aside from Villager's jab and ftilt, we are better up close. All of our usual strings still work at low %, and he has a hard time getting out of them because of his air mobility.

At high %, watch out for his utilt and all of his smashes. His uair and dair can kill if they get the 3 turnips (33% chance), and bair has higher knockback than fair, so they'll start pressuring with that if you're at kill %.

PK fire is good on a recovering Villager. When they grab the ledge the balloons get released and PK fire activates on them. If you do it right it'll go through the ledge and force them to do something. Dsmash is also really good for edgeguarding. I think the balloons extend the hitbox as well (anyone know for sure)?

Zanarkan

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zanarkan28
EnhaloTricks has given some solid pointers that I agree with and I would say to abide by... If you haven't already watched Genesis 3 watch FOW's set against Renai in top 8. Renai is the widely regarded as best villager in the world and FOW is a top Ness main. Although FOW lost the set it was very close and it has good examples of how Ness can deal with Villager.

Uffe

Smash Hero
EnhaloTricks has given some solid pointers that I agree with and I would say to abide by... If you haven't already watched Genesis 3 watch FOW's set against Renai in top 8. Renai is the widely regarded as best villager in the world and FOW is a top Ness main. Although FOW lost the set it was very close and it has good examples of how Ness can deal with Villager.
Any videos of those matches? I missed the ones with FOW and Shaky's Ness.

Uffe

Smash Hero
My goodness! Barely the first match and I'm already impressed. He recovered vertically, too, which is what a Jigglypuff main I sometimes face against tells me to use, as the PK Thunder will go through bodies, putting the opponent in a bad spot. But it doesn't always work. Still, probably one of the better options. I'll have to watch the rest later. Thanks a lot for posting this. His Ness is looking real nice.

Pryze

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Apollon1an
My goodness! Barely the first match and I'm already impressed. He recovered vertically, too, which is what a Jigglypuff main I sometimes face against tells me to use, as the PK Thunder will go through bodies, putting the opponent in a bad spot. But it doesn't always work. Still, probably one of the better options. I'll have to watch the rest later. Thanks a lot for posting this. His Ness is looking real nice.
Yeah, FOW played positively phenomenal at G3. Was definitely not expecting that level of play from him.

That aside, FOW vs Ranai should give some good insight on the Villager MU.

Last edited:

jcEmblem

Smash Rookie
NNID
Saturns.FM
3DS FC
4356-0536-9575
Cree, an excellent Villager in my area, told me that a lot of time villagers will go for fairs or bairs when on the ledge. He explained that if you time Ness foward smash right it can reflect the fair or bair and lead to a very early kill. It may be hard to time but it seems like a useful and dangerous mix up. Don't make it too obvious that you're going to do it.

Also, 2 pk fires deals enough damage to kill the tree quickly. Just be careful about getting them in.

Top Bottom