• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness vs Sonic

D

DeleteThisAcct

PK Fire shuts down most of Sonic's combos from what I recall. Punish, punish, punish.

From experience, I'd also say stick to jabs and nAir since Ness can get those out the fastest. Most of his other moves are too laggy for Sonic unless you're good at reading your opponent.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DeleteThisAcct

Avoiding gimps is difficult with Ness regardless of the matchup. Prevention is the best medicine with Ness, honestly. You don't want to be in a situation where your PK Thunder is vulnerable, or where they'll purposely take the hit to halve your travel distance. That being said, Ness has a few options at his disposal to mess with the opponent's timing such as stalling with PSI Magnet, or performing an aerial or air dodge the moment Ness begins his double jump in order to extend it. In short, if you must recover with PKT, try to do so when they least expect it.

Also, do keep in mind that PKT can't be gimped for a split second after it starts.

Don't be afraid to throw out fAir and nAir to try and space them.

I'm not an expert, there's people here far better than me, but what I've said works for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Uffe

Smash Hero
Don't take my word for it, but someone posted this on an FB Smash Community I'm apart of.

How to Beat Sonic

The question you should be asking yourself is, "Do I have enough match up experience against Sonic?"

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Don't get hit. Joking aside, be ready to get juggled because Sanic excels at juggling. Mix up your DI, air dodges and Nairs so you prevent getting juggled the entire match. Recovering is never easy for Ness anyways, and it's the usual, mixup DJ, DJ Fair, DJ Uair, PKT, DJ airdodge. And pay attention where Sanic is. He can Fair, Bair, Nair or Spring to kill you and force you to Up B.

Last edited:

EarthBoundEnigma

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EarthBoundEnigma
S@X - 6WX (Sonic) Vs. LoF | NAKAT (Ness) SSB4 Winners Quarters - Smash 4 Wii U

This is a great example of what does (and doesn't) work in this matchup.
Basically, play as boring as possible and use about 3 moves, and you'll wall out Sonic.
Trying anything too fancy will just create opportunities for him to punish Ness.

Top Bottom