• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness vs Kirby or Fox

CyrusTheGreat

Smash Cadet
Hey guys

I was wondering if you could give me advice/combos on how to fight kirby/fox. Imagine pretty good kirby/fox player but not close to Isai level. Or just strategies on how to exploit their weaknesses I guess.

greenblob

Smash Lord
DJC chaining, abusing recoveries (Kirby's is long, but it's extremely predictable and his up B is easily edgeguarded, Fox's is just a setup for a spike), know Ness' grabbing and uair range, dair>aerial is fun

And watch Ness vids. I don't know any other pro Nesses out there other than Isai though...

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Quickman has a pretty good Ness but there are no videos of him to my knowledge. You can play against him all the time on the Emularena server.

mooseproduce

Smash Ace
Isai isn't very good with Ness. :p

I wouldn't call his Ness "pro", at any rate.

From what I've seen.

Like... don't flame or anger if there's some crazy awesome Isai-Ness vid out there I've missed.

JNS

Smash Cadet
Mix it up. Aginst a kirby play mostly in the air, especially if he overuses the grab when on the ground a good mix of yo-yo and pk fire and grabs works for me against one of my friends that is a very good. kirby. Also even if it's horribly obvious try no to get thrown even a little of the edge cause your third jump is so ridiculously easy to cancel that any average player will just abuse you.

mooseproduce

Smash Ace
"especially if he overuses the grab when on the ground"

What Kirby player in their right mind uses throws?

Maybe the ones who can't combo, or something. :p

JNS

Smash Cadet
I play mostly against a kirby which tries to finih matches in 3 seonds by trying to grab you and sending you off stage and doing up b to spike you. As he saw that the first few times hat he used this strategy aganst our crew he got a few easy kills (mostly bcause he had never used that strategy before, in fact he rarely grabbed) he thinks hecan do it all the time.

I will admit that he was much better when he didn't overuse his grabs and he became quite predictable after a while. If i use anyone wth a decnt comeback (samus,pika,jiggly)he's screwed althugh if i fool around with fox or ness he usually gets me, even if i delay the comebacks a little

dwp171

Smash Apprentice
for kirby: if he whores the forward smash a lot, it's really easy to shorthop over it and then hit him as he recovers with some down air + utilt + uair or nair or w/e you wanna do. I have a friend who is decent at smash and plays kirby a lot, and at least a few times every game i can trick him into forward smashing so that I can punish him as he recovers. Try not to clash fairs or bairs with him, as kirby's drill will almost always get priority. Also, don't be afraid to hit him from underneath - ness's uair has great priority.

When I fight a fox, i generally play defensively and attempt to utilt him if he comes in with a dair combo or try to get him with some shorthopped airs. Also, once he's off the edge, his comeback is incredibly easy to spike, so spike him like mad! Oh yeah, and kirby's up+b is very spikeable as well if it's coming from below.

Well hope this somehow helps.. i'm sure it's just silly and confusing, though.

PrimaryFox

Smash Cadet
for kirby: if he whores the forward smash a lot, it's really easy to shorthop over it and then hit him as he recovers with some down air + utilt + uair or nair or w/e you wanna do. I have a friend who is decent at smash and plays kirby a lot, and at least a few times every game i can trick him into forward smashing so that I can punish him as he recovers. Try not to clash fairs or bairs with him, as kirby's drill will almost always get priority. Also, don't be afraid to hit him from underneath - ness's uair has great priority.

When I fight a fox, i generally play defensively and attempt to utilt him if he comes in with a dair combo or try to get him with some shorthopped airs. Also, once he's off the edge, his comeback is incredibly easy to spike, so spike him like mad! Oh yeah, and kirby's up+b is very spikeable as well if it's coming from below.

Well hope this somehow helps.. i'm sure it's just silly and confusing, though.
Pretty good. Just to add to that a good kirby will usually come from above when trying to return to the ledge vs ness for obvious reasons and a lot of times will go for a fair or dair before trying to u-b. I've found that short jumping and popping ur second jump into a fair usually works against this (just remember to stay above the platform and not venture far out). A lot of the time you will both get hit, but you can hit the ground and recover quicker and many times have the chance for a spike. Sometimes if kirby is coming from way out I will throw a pk thunder at him and go for the double tap many times it will force a kirby into a fast down or they will have to do an attack to counter this.

Hope that helps some.

--PF

Top Bottom