• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness' Unique Movement Options

Zero May Cry

Smash Cadet
I'm really liking Ness in P:M. He's the most powerful he's been in any Smash game, and I think he's got a lot of potential that has not been maximized yet. But you can say that for any character really, it takes time for players to really start optimizing their play with their character. I was playing friendlies with a friend one day (who is really good, much better than I) who mains Mewtwo and the only game I managed to put up against him was with my Ness. I'll post it later in the video thread I guess. After the match he made a comment about Ness' movement, saying that it was a very difficult type of movement to understand. I've been thinking about Ness' movement since he said that, and he's really pretty right about that. Ness has a LOT of movement options, and it's difficult to keep track of all of them. I'll try to list some.

1. DJC - Gives you aerial momentum very close to the ground, which isn't something you see from a lot of characters. You can also move back and forth duiring a lot of DJC aerials. Additionally, it automatically fast falls you. So if you L-cancel it then it's very difficult to see coming and Ness can almost instantly recover from his aerials when they're L-cancelled.

2. Wavedash - When done at the right angle, Ness' wavedash is actually very good. This extends his movement options like it does for any character with a good wavedash, so I shouldn't have to go into detail about this. Defensive spacing and mixups, blah blah blah.

3. Wavebounces (WB) /B-reversals (they're the same right?) - I think this is one of the most important things when considering Ness' movement options. Ness can do practical WBs on 3 of his B specials, so I'll go into detail about each below.

a. PSI Magnet - WBing this move is great in faking an approach and baiting something out. Then you have a bunch of options with its jump cancellability. You could air dodge out of it and land in front of your opponent for a whiff punish or you could jump cancel and PK Fire. There are probably more options, but those are the ones that come to mind.

b. PK Flash - One of the lesser wavebounced moves, I could really only see this useful for edgeguarding and making the recover of flash safe. run toward the ledge, do a WB'd PK Flash out of a short hop, and still guide the flash offstage. Then, even if you miss, your recovery is still relatively safe.

c. PK Fire - Most people already know how good this is when WBed, but I'll talk about it some more. Wavebouncing this move pretty much creates a fadeaway effect with this special which is really good for creating space and making it harder to punish this move in the air. Ness tends to be punished pretty badly, so it's good to have ways to make his BnB attacks less punishable.
That's all I can think of for now. I really think that once players start to really utilize Ness' vast movement options and play mindgames with the opponent because of how confusing it can get for someone who doesn't know the character very well, Ness can become an even more powerful force than he is now. Post in the thread if you have any more ideas or things to correct/clarify me on!

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i agree with all of the above

recently i practiced the instant DJC dair which can be done using these inputs:

x/y, up, c-stick down, down, L/R

very very instant lol

i love pushing the limits of how fast he can move. just gotta remember to stick to fundamentals and practicality in real games

Kayo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KiddKayo
3DS FC
0989-3028-4971
i like ness.
he movement is unique.
he goes zip zam bop across stage.

Kayo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KiddKayo
3DS FC
0989-3028-4971
You would. <_<
I imagined Double Jump wavebounce Magnet cancel fairs btw

Archile

Smash Rookie
You've got to remember the fact that his double jump can be cancelled at any point, giving him by far the most vertical mobility with his aerials.
This becomes apparent most when edgeguarding, especially with his back and down aerials cover almost every recovery option if spaced correctly.

I've been working a lot on this one, albeit simple, combo where you DJC a bair as low to the ground as possible and due to the trajectory it sends people in (about 30-45 degrees upwards, depending on DI) you can jump and immediately double jump and cancel at the appropriate moment to land a dair, spiking them. I call it the Blue Suade Shoes combo, because of the blue electricity that comes from Ness' shoes during his bair.

Bryonato

Green Hat
I could see that working at low % on floatier characters and setting up for a missed tech or something. Generally if I get a djc bair like that in though at low % i just grab since it's free on most characters

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
ness' magnet really improves his overall movement flow and ability to transition between attacks as well as extend combos. its actually a pretty good approach option in MUs where projectiles can be absorbed, and he can act right out of it as well. whats good with ness is that hes quite balanced. He has a lot of quick attacks that help apply pressure decently, as well as ranged pressure/spacing options, and great set ups into his kills. his recovery has gotten much better to boot. I think given some time he will be regarded as better than people view him now. He doesnt have that many notable weaknesses, but at the same time he has some pretty good strengths.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
theres 10 frames of absorb lag. its definitely there, but if you space it right you can still keep yourself safe. i probably shouldnt have said "pretty good" but i still wouldnt knock it as an influence on those particular MUs. ive made use out of it before, although i would definitely be punished for doing it too much.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Is the hitbox out during absorb lag? I cant tell how it works exactly. Sometimes when I absorb a Mario fireball, and mario tries to approach me right after, he gets hit.

Bryonato

Green Hat
i've noticed this too. i don't want to make any bold claims but it seems like an extra hitbox or something to that extent comes out after absorbtion

Top Bottom