• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness tricks and techs

bound_for_earth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theflaminglefty
:ness:to trick or confuse your opponent run to a ledge turn quickly and side B ness will instantly fall. jump back up and come in with a pk fire,side smash and you have a ko.another ledge trick is to do what i just said but when you are on the ledge let go , double jump and throw out pk thunder hit the opponet and come back up and commoece battling. continue this thread with some of your ness tricks and techs.

Jee412

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jee412
one great technique is to double jump quickly then side-B to cancel the jump and throw a PK fire on your ennemy really close. After that a f-smash is easy to land ;)

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
That's funny, I feel like you literally just watched me in the lab.

I've been experimenting with the PK Fire thing you mentioned, trying to see its applications in real matches, mostly for edgeguarding. It's been a bit... unsuccessful so far, but I'm working on it. I was going to make a video of this tech until I decided I should determine its overall usefulness first.

I've dubbed it the Fireslide so far. Running at the edge, and turning around with PK Fire will allow Ness to just drop at the ledge. Add an aerial like bair, or fair, and you can get quick aerials right below the ledge (where a lot of people recover).

The second one is something I've been doing since Brawl. I call it the PKT Ledge Stall. I was a bit reserved with bringing it up since ledge invulnerability was changed in this game, but it's proven to be useful in this game, at least to me. As you said, DJ off the ledge, instantly PKT, and curl it into the stage for an attack that will hit opponents right above you and reclaim the ledge. Just be careful with it, as there are risks.

I just did some testing with dtilt actually, and I've got some promising results I'd like to report to the Ness community. You might just see dtilt in a slightly different light. I have my first day of classes tomorrow however, so I'll post the details probably after then, since I need rest now.

CosmicGlitch

Smash Apprentice
i want to see a video of this im not sure if im doing this right i want to see what it looks like

CosmicGlitch

Smash Apprentice
how close do i have to get to the edge before i turn around? do i need to fall completely off?

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Get as close to it as you can, then immediately hit the stick away from the edge and press B. Don't fall off first.

CosmicGlitch

Smash Apprentice
Get as close to it as you can, then immediately hit the stick away from the edge and press B. Don't fall off first.
turns out i just read the original post wrong and iv been doing it right the whole time. for some reason i thought ness was suppose to jump back up on his own and i just couldnt figure out why that would happen at all

bound_for_earth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theflaminglefty
turns out i just read the original post wrong and iv been doing it right the whole time. for some reason i thought ness was suppose to jump back up on his own and i just couldnt figure out why that would happen at all
no it is just a turn while sprinting really fast and a side b (pk fire) then you will fall onto the ledge immediately.

PKSeedFlare

Smash Rookie
Both of these are kinda situational but whatever.

PK Fire+ Front Throw+ PK Flash: It's a great tool to ledge guard with and works well against characters who have large hurtbox or bad recovery options.

One other thing I also like to do against fast, rush based character is lead with a PK Thunder and ground it immediately, avoiding being dash grabbed/attacked. Honestly I don't know if this could be used in some amazing way, but I think free damage is damage am I right?

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
don't run it into the ground... hit their shield with it or force them to cancel it out with an attack.

Neil.

Smash Rookie
This has no real competitive use but you can also run off ledge while using PK fire for Ness to say "PK fire" without the animation coming out. From here you can either enter the dropzone and proceed to Bair or even grab ledge. Just something flashy I like to do from time to time

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Why do nobody ever mentions rising aerials? NAKAT and Awestin always use them, so why nobody mentions them in the Ness tech boards or videos? Do the DJC input and you "fly" with the aerials. They have uses too:
Rising Nair: Travels a long distance to hit someone in the air with Nair. NAKAT always uses it.
Rising Fair: The reason DThrow+Fair combo hits a lot. Helps to get back to the stage. Awestin uses it a lot.
Rising Uair: A surprise attack to punish air dodges and laggy Dairs. Useful to revenge kill Rosalina in the air.
Rising Dair: Gives Dair a good use. It is "easier" to get the spike and gets you flying to the stage safely. Tricky to use and very satisfying.
Rising Bair: Surprise attack. Awestin uses it.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Why do nobody ever mentions rising aerials? NAKAT and Awestin always use them, so why nobody mentions them in the Ness tech boards or videos? Do the DJC input and you "fly" with the aerials. They have uses too:
Rising Nair: Travels a long distance to hit someone in the air with Nair. NAKAT always uses it.
Rising Fair: The reason DThrow+Fair combo hits a lot. Helps to get back to the stage. Awestin uses it a lot.
Rising Uair: A surprise attack to punish air dodges and laggy Dairs. Useful to revenge kill Rosalina in the air.
Rising Dair: Gives Dair a good use. It is "easier" to get the spike and gets you flying to the stage safely. Tricky to use and very satisfying.
Rising Bair: Surprise attack. Awestin uses it.
It's just not that "advanced" of a tactic. It's just double jumping with an aerial. Yeah it's a great tactic, but I'm sure almost all Ness players use this stuff to the point of it not needing discussion.

NeuroticSpirit

Smash Rookie
NNID
EgoZachtor
3DS FC
3239-2866-0571
I just did some testing with dtilt actually, and I've got some promising results I'd like to report to the Ness community. You might just see dtilt in a slightly different light. I have my first day of classes tomorrow however, so I'll post the details probably after then, since I need rest now.
I'm trying to learn possible uses for Ness's dtilt. I've been attempting to use it to hit that one frame of grabbing the ledge but im not sure it works or is worth it. Where could I find this post you speak of?

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
I'm trying to learn possible uses for Ness's dtilt. I've been attempting to use it to hit that one frame of grabbing the ledge but im not sure it works or is worth it. Where could I find this post you speak of?
It's generally more practical to use a move with a good deal of active frames to catch that one frame of vulnerability. One frame is a really tight window to hit, especially when the opponent can mix up the timing of his recovery. Considering that a meaty move like D-smash can straight up kill people that it hits on the ledge, D-tilt's much shorter hitbox duration and minuscule knockback just isn't worth it as an edgeguarding tool. Not to mention ledge trumping is good to make sure they have no invincibility on the ledge at all.

NeuroticSpirit

Smash Rookie
NNID
EgoZachtor
3DS FC
3239-2866-0571
It's generally more practical to use a move with a good deal of active frames to catch that one frame of vulnerability. One frame is a really tight window to hit, especially when the opponent can mix up the timing of his recovery. Considering that a meaty move like D-smash can straight up kill people that it hits on the ledge, D-tilt's much shorter hitbox duration and minuscule knockback just isn't worth it as an edgeguarding tool. Not to mention ledge trumping is good to make sure they have no invincibility on the ledge at all.
That makes more sense. I've kinda been trying that too. Would you suggest facing the ledge or away from it? Or does it not really matter?

SirBacon

Smash Cadet
NNID
Seymorebuts
A few of my favorite mix ups would be down throw into a PK rocket at high percentage soft bait into the bat and occasionally up throw PK rocket but it's bot my favorite

Top Bottom