• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness' state: weakened? buffed? or the same?

bylim5

Smash Journeyman
Im so happy one of my favourite character Ness is in! WHOOHOO!

BUT, there's been a lack of acknowledgment re Ness and most likely was put in at the last minute, do you think there would be any EFFORT to up-keep Ness? or will he be the same?
or GOD FORBID, weakened?

Rosadiddly

Smash Cadet
AHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH in your face all you naysayers! My second main is back :D

No... he wouldn't be weakened.. he was already pretty weak to begin with.. I'm just hoping that Lucas doesn't over shadow him what with their extremely similar specials. :D

AdmantNESS

Smash Ace
I just hope they buff Ness. As a note, I hope the mods can move those Ness discussions topics over here sometime soon.

Arawanach

Smash Apprentice
well... if you take a close look on Lucas's PK fire, you will actually see that it moves in perfectly line... even trough air... it's like, you can see the difference between Luigi and Mario's fireballs... also... a pilar of flame explodes... so, yea... it's quite different...

and the you have PK flash and PK freeze... with complete different effect... and PK thunder seams a bit different... the same with PSI magnet...

NessOnett

Smash Journeyman
regardless if he is buffed or not, he is still mine. And no matter how strong he is to others, i will find a way to make him work. I will find a way to bring people down with them. Fox was top-tier...up until now!

Pokec

Smash Journeyman
They have Similiar final smashes:

this Time: BLUE METEORS. whoopee.

Surgo

Smash Apprentice
BUT, there's been a lack of acknowledgment re Ness and most likely was put in at the last minute
What the hell kind of horrible logic is this? Because Ness was unacknowledged, he was likely put in at the last minute? This does not follow.

Mac_77

Smash Cadet
I think Ness, like some characters in Brawl, will be a bit better in Brawl because of necessary balancing, and as for Ness's moves he should not get new ones, if anything Lucas is the clone, Why Should Ness's moves change? After all, Lucas fights much differently outside the bounds of PSI attacks and the Bat, and even then, Lucas's PSI move's effects are slightly modified.

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
They should have made PSI Rockin' his final smash instead of making it a PK Starstorm clone. Lots of trippy light beams and explosions and **** could have shot around the screen.

I think that Ness will be buffed from Melee, though.

bylim5

Smash Journeyman
What the hell kind of horrible logic is this? Because Ness was unacknowledged, he was likely put in at the last minute? This does not follow.
I was meaning that that they said ness had been every smash bros UNTIL NOW, meaning Lucas would replace him. But we see that Ness and Lucas are in it/
it's not horrible logic, so do ur research

Ademisk

Smash Champion
The statement was ambiguous. Sakurai always meant for Ness to be in Brawl. He's an unlockable, so he was trying to keep it a secret by making an ambiguous statement.

.Yoshi

Smash Journeyman
That statement was ambiguous, but certain people who supposedly "know" Japanese kept saying that it can only be translated "one way"...hmph

As soon as I saw Ness, I didn't care about the other characters, except Jiggly...

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Anyway, it doesn't matter if he was weakened, buff, or is the same. If you like Ness you'll play him, if you don't like him, you'll only play him if he's top tier.

Rick88

Smash Journeyman
I'm just glad to see him return, but I believe he will have the same moveset, or a similar one from Melee again :/

Arawanach

Smash Apprentice
regardless if he is buffed or not, he is still mine. And no matter how strong he is to others, i will find a way to make him work. I will find a way to bring people down with them. Fox was top-tier...up until now!
Well... maybe a match some day? I can see that Ness has the potensial to become a very powerfull character. The only thing is that I actually always wanted to fight with someone who's going to main Ness and actually be good at controlling he's moves. I'm not able to use Ness' full potential, but I really mean it. It would be really interesting to play with someone who main Ness.

But before that. I just have to unlock Sonic and learn he's moves. Since I wanna be a really challenge and I'm not going to let anyone think I'm a n00b.

Anyway. I would like to challenge someone who main Ness. If I was able to use Ness' full potential, then I would have used him more myself, but the moveset isn't really fitting for me.

Levitas

the moon
Arawanach, find some good people to play nearby you, and find out where you stand. Being a noob isn't intrinsically bad, it's something that everyone was at some point. The real issue is whether or not you get better.

I want to see Ness not getting gimped all over the place. And if double jumping back to the ground is possible like in melee, then I want to see a method of locomotion for Lucas and/or Ness based on landing in an aerial attack animation out of his double jump. It may or may not work like wavedashing.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
If ness has DjC, he would be extremely powerful in this game. Especially if you can fast fall and L cancel after a DjC. Ness would be top tier easy. I think Ness will still be powerful even if it isn't in though. It all depends on those of us who play him though. Ness won't become powerful without proper exploration and such.

Also, this game isn't Melee, there's no saying who's good and who's not until it's been truly decided. Ness mains have the same chance as anyone.

NessOnett

Smash Journeyman
yes, his down air is far faster now :D and also, at about 18 seconds http://youtube.com/watch?v=sQHw8TylNvI is that an airdodge?
anybody been able to confirm this yet? it seems plausible to be an airdodge, and that would be amazing if it was.

Well... maybe a match some day? I can see that Ness has the potensial to become a very powerfull character. The only thing is that I actually always wanted to fight with someone who's going to main Ness and actually be good at controlling he's moves. I'm not able to use Ness' full potential, but I really mean it. It would be really interesting to play with someone who main Ness.

But before that. I just have to unlock Sonic and learn he's moves. Since I wanna be a really challenge and I'm not going to let anyone think I'm a n00b.

Anyway. I would like to challenge someone who main Ness. If I was able to use Ness' full potential, then I would have used him more myself, but the moveset isn't really fitting for me.
definately a match someday. But i'm glad you want time...Ness has a lot(LOT) of differences from melee, and i'll need to get used to him to to be able to put up any kind of decent match. He really did have a tough learning curve in melee, to be able to use him well, and i expect brawl to be the same. I don't want to look like a noob either after claiming to be a good Ness main. Let's just hope he's been buffed a little, and no longer falls on the bottom of the traditional tier list.

Kittah4

Smash Ace
All I can say is, I hope Ness is not the "pichu" of brawl. That is, Lucas looks like he has faster and better specials and a moves. If Lucas does everything Ness does but better, no one will want to be Ness except his fans. I sure hope the Yoyo is about 200% better than it was in Melee. PK Flash and fire could use lag time cuts as well.

AsbestosBlatant

Smash Journeyman
That's not an air dodge, it's Ness hitting Sonic's jump spring, or footstool jumping. The latter is most likely. Anyway, the improvements I've noticed that I posted in the other thread:

PK Flash is a lot lower and quicker, though we haven't seen a vid of it charged all the way. His PK Thunder lives a lot longer. His aerials ALL execute quicker (his dropkick even seems to be faster than in smash 64), and his punchpunchkick combo is blazing fast. His downtilt is also faster to the point that it can probably go as fast as you can tap. PK Fire travels farther.

Ness is buffed.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
You don't have any proof of that, video is pretty bad for being able to tell these kinds of things. Especially video from people who don't play Ness.

ForteEscape

Smash Cadet
His back throw's been nerfed.
It gets vertical distance and horizontal distance.
Ugh, there goes Ness's instant 90%+ ko move

Arawanach

Smash Apprentice
well... both Lucas and Ness are going to be interesting to battle against... I gues... anyway... Seams as this time, you start with Lucas and is going to unlock Ness, so I gues he's more powerfull now...

hyperiondragon

Smash Rookie
New Ness Sucks like Melee Ness

Ness sucks..end of story. This is coming from someone who was a faithful player as Ness in Super Smash Brothers 64. Everyone knows how great he is in the 64 version. But, Melee robbed him, and I tried to stick with him in Melee, but he sucked too much, and yes I know you have to figure out a new strategy to use Ness in the Melee version, but he still sucked (at least for me). thousands of other people who played as Ness in the 64 version did not play as him in the Melee version. Now Brawl is out, and he looks, sounds, and behaves about 95% as he did in Melee. He seems the same. Hopefully though they made some "internal" changes to him, but just kept all the same movesets. Ness "was" a great character, but just sucks now. They did poor Ness wrong in Melee. I'm moving on to Lucas...I see potential!!!

R.I.P. Ness 1999-2008

MorpheusVGX

Smash Journeyman
Brave words.

Brave words. That's how a man should talk. That's the kind of attittude that lead Mewtwo, Ness and Kirby warriors to challenge and bring down those cowards who just go using top tiers.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Ness sucks..end of story. This is coming from someone who was a faithful player as Ness in Super Smash Brothers 64. Everyone knows how great he is in the 64 version. But, Melee robbed him, and I tried to stick with him in Melee, but he sucked too much, and yes I know you have to figure out a new strategy to use Ness in the Melee version, but he still sucked (at least for me). thousands of other people who played as Ness in the 64 version did not play as him in the Melee version. Now Brawl is out, and he looks, sounds, and behaves about 95% as he did in Melee. He seems the same. Hopefully though they made some "internal" changes to him, but just kept all the same movesets. Ness "was" a great character, but just sucks now. They did poor Ness wrong in Melee. I'm moving on to Lucas...I see potential!!!

R.I.P. Ness 1999-2008

Just because you played Ness in 64 doesn't make you a fan. If yuou don't like Ness despite his abilities, then you're just a fairweather fan. If you like him, work to make him good, otherwise don't bother calling yourself of a Ness lover.

Ness is even cooler in Brawl. Did you see his SSE scenes? Ness is a freaking pimp.

hyperiondragon

Smash Rookie
ok. Ademisk you do have a good point. but come on, they changed what made me a fan in the first place. I ( i used to stick up for Ness). And yes I did see the vids, but it is just animation. Ness cant really even do that. It was cool though.

The first Ness in N64 took time to master, and once you mastered his moves he was a powerhouse. I liked that his character was a challenge to master, and once you did master his moveset you were rewarded with pawnage...lol. but I tried the same thing with Melee Ness, he was just too quirky, and simply was useless against certain characters in Melee (in my my opinion, im sure it is different for everyone).

Also I left out that I never really got used to Melee on Gamecube, the controls weren't as crisp as on N64. How come you can stand next to someone in Melee and the punch them with Ness and it still misses? Maybe brawl will be the savior Ness needs...

I wont completely give up on Ness. But where are his new moves???

Ness
2008-????

Ademisk

Smash Champion
We'll see when we play the game. The only problem is, you can't always expect your character to be the best. Ness was really really freaking good in 64, he was probably the best or second best character in the game. In Melee he becomes one of the worst in the top levels of competitive play. But me, and a bunch of other players, worked hard and we made him something workable. And we'll do it again in Brawl no matter what Ness turns out to be.

Top Bottom