• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness Recovery Slight Boost?

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
This will be a quick post.

I was attempting to get through all star mode on hard, and as I was in the waiting room with all of the healing items, I began messing around with Ness and noticed something quite odd.

When you do a normal double jump with no inputs other than Jump, he does as he should.

When you do a double jump but during the double jump use Ness' Nair or Fair (the rest of the aerial seem too slow to do this), Ness will be suspended in the air at the peak of the double jump for just a moment. Weird huh?

I can do this consistently and it is not hard. Seemingly as long as he is in normal falling/rising position and not in an attack, he'll get suspended for a couple frames then begin to fall again. In other words, it seems to cancel his vertical momentum but not his horizontal momentum?

This is weird and isn't the most relevant Ness tech or anything, but it's a Niche thing that seems to very slightly push Ness forward when he's recovering Horizontally.

I would like confirmation as to whether or not this is already known/common knowledge or if it's some odd engine bug? Thanks for reading.

EDIT: BAir and UAir work with this as well. DAir is the only one that is too slow for it. Ness must be in a neutral falling position at the peak of the jump to get the suspension.

Last edited:

Noa.

Smash Master
I don't have access to my wii u so I can't look this up right now. I think I now what you're talking about but I'm not really sure about it.

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
I remember doing that I call it rising Nair. I never knew it made you raise in the air. I'm not sure if it's enough to be very helpful but cool anyway.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
I remember doing that I call it rising Nair. I never knew it made you raise in the air. I'm not sure if it's enough to be very helpful but cool anyway.
It's surprisingly useful to avoid a projectile or small hitbox while recovering. It extends your recovery ever so slightly but it's just such a neat thing.

ExigeOlimin

Smash Cadet
Yeah, sometimes i fly upwards when i use my Fair. It helps when getting back to the stage sure, but im not sure how you do it.

ExigeOlimin

Smash Cadet
Yeah, sometimes i fly upwards when i use my Fair. It helps when getting back to the stage sure, but im not sure how you do it.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
It says in the original post. When you press your Jump button for a double jump and also do a NAir, FAir, BAir, or UAir, you'll be suspended in the air for about 2 frames. Basically do a short aerial and make sure you are in default falling position before reaching the peak of your jump.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I experimented with this, and I think I noticed it too. I'm not sure if it's actually suspending us in the air more, or if it just an optical illusion. I tried testing the distance by comparing a DJ without aerials to one with the aerial, and the differences seem minuscule, or non-existent. I just don't want to fall into the placebo trap. I need to find a way to test this better.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
I experimented with this, and I think I noticed it too. I'm not sure if it's actually suspending us in the air more, or if it just an optical illusion. I tried testing the distance by comparing a DJ without aerials to one with the aerial, and the differences seem minuscule, or non-existent. I just don't want to fall into the placebo trap. I need to find a way to test this better.
It's definitely happening, I've avoided attacks using it. And yeah, the difference is VERY miniscule and likely irrelevant, but it's still useful to surprise your opponents with "HAH, you thought that would reach didn't you?"

Top Bottom