• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness or Yoshi?

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
Hello, I understand this is the Yoshi section and you guys will probably be Ness racist, but I really need the facts!

I've been playing Ness for some time now. I've always loved to play with him., However, after all of this play, it seems like Ness is getting boring and his moves are getting repetitive. So, I tried a new character: Yoshi. I'm actually pretty good as him. My question now is which one I should be.

What I like about Ness:

-He jumps pretty high
-He actually HAS a 3rd jump
-His throws are teh best
-He has pretty good weight (more noticable than Yoshi's weight, IMO)

What I like about Yoshi:

-His HUGE 2nd jump
-His 2nd jump can absorb attacks
-His eggs are the best projectiles in the game
-He's a pretty good juggler
-He has some pretty quick meteor smashes

Based on that information, can someone tell me which one suits me better? If you can't tell which is better from that information, can you please give me a pros and cons list comparing both of them?

By the way, I'm sorry for posting this topic twice in different sections, but I really wanted to get information from both sides.

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
Judging by what you've said so far, I think you should play both.

Its your decision though. Try out other characters too. I used to muck around with Fox to try and do his infinite, and now he's my main top tier character and my most awesome Peach counter character. I started mucking around with Doc, and now my Doc competes with the best players in my area same as my Yoshi.

Personal preference at the time for me =D.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Play whoever you want to. I can't tell you who you should be playing, because i don't know you.

Jossy

Smash Apprentice
Yoshi and Ness are 2 totally different characters.
Yoshi is my best
and Ness is my worst...
you must have noticed that both have a totally different feel to them... if you are good with both, then just pick the one ur best with or keep both.

The |Egg| Sniper

Smash Apprentice
Alright, I'll just say this before I begin my post. One of my best friends who plays Smash, Toasty here on the forums, has Ness as one of his primary characters. I'm definitely not Ness racist.

To be honest, you can learn Yoshi a lot easier now that you have Ness experience behind you. This is because they're both capable of DJCing. The hits will be different, yes, but the concept is the same. Having both of them on your team is an awesome idea, as while you're using one, you're, shall we say, synching your skills of the two together.

A few things to point out if you decide to choose one over the other:
Ness:
-more of a side killer, with his bair, fsmash, and bthrow. Up kills are not really his game, which leaves you vulnerable to floaties like Peach >.<

-his projectile game isn't as useful as Yoshi's. Let's face it, the windup for his projectiles is terrible! Though fair is a good shielding move..you still gotta get close with most everything.

-he is a lower weight class than Yoshi. He will die to things Yoshi can withstand.

Yoshi:
-Can kill in all 4 directions very well in many situations. Nair, fsmash, dsmash, dtilt serve as most of his side killers, while Usmash, uair, DownB and fair serve for down kills. Fair, dair are the spikes.

-Projectiles are MUCH different than any one else's. It's a seperate skill to aim eggs accurately, let alone pull off tricks (like the anti shieldgrab lob, one that I love to do =) ). It pays off with 8-10% per egg, though. The more you use it, the more you'll find out and the more useful they will become.

-Like Ness, he's easily punished for DJCing at the wrong time. Unlike Ness, this usually ends with Yoshi plummeting to his death, helpless even at very low %s. (20% kos, anyone?)

-Throws are very difficult compared to Ness's to implement. His dash grab is more like Bowser's, rather than what it actually looks like. Standing grab....why bother? Up throw gets much less distance than Ness's, leaving Yoshi open to aerial punishment.

I helped my friend get better with Ness by playing as Ness and picking up some stuff. Overall, I think Ness/Yoshi is a good combo and easy to pick up with their similarities.

Team Fatheads FTW! (Yoshi, Ness, G&W!)

I think Yoshi is better than Ness because ness really has no knock out move other than his forward smash and bair other than that his other moves to me are pointless.

okami473

Smash Apprentice
Though i like yoshi more, id have to say ness is the better choice thx to his ridiculusly long range for hir fair.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i'm pretty good with ness, i completely suck with yoshi

the biggest difference is the timing of the DJC, yoshi's DJC is really weird for me, i can't do it as well as i can with ness, ness' DJC is also much faster than yoshi's

so choose whoever, they do about the same in tournaments, yoshi is only slightly better (ness is much better against spacies, they're the same on sheik and peach, yoshi does much better on marth)

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
Ness's DJC game is miles beyond yoshi's. It's so **** fast.
Yoshi's projectiles are miles beyond Ness's. They're so versatile.
Ness's recovery is better than Yoshi's.
Yoshi can KO off of more sides, making him a much more varied fighter.
Yoshi is heavier.
Ness's air game is a little better than Yoshi's.
Yoshi just overall is more powerful.

Statistic-wise, Yoshi is a better character but there are few characters that are more fun to play than Ness, in my eyes.

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ness's recovery is better than Yoshi's? When?

Ok, the only time it's better is the no double jump omg I'm roughly Ness's up-b length from the ledge. Otherwise people can edgeguard Ness too easily when he up-b's near the stage. (Jump out and take the up-b before it hits Ness) Air dodging Yoshi can do too. Yoshi's double jump is longer too, so his double jump and mid-air dodge is much more reliable. And he gets hit less far, with proper DI he lives longer than Ness.

Yoshi's recovery is at least as good as Ness'.

Any other points about Ness over Yoshi are trumped by NESS CAN JUMP OUT OF SHIELD PEOPLE

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
Ness's recovery is better than Yoshi's? When?

Ok, the only time it's better is the no double jump omg I'm roughly Ness's up-b length from the ledge. Otherwise people can edgeguard Ness too easily when he up-b's near the stage. (Jump out and take the up-b before it hits Ness) Air dodging Yoshi can do too. Yoshi's double jump is longer too, so his double jump and mid-air dodge is much more reliable. And he gets hit less far, with proper DI he lives longer than Ness.

Yoshi's recovery is at least as good as Ness'.

Any other points about Ness over Yoshi are trumped by NESS CAN JUMP OUT OF SHIELD PEOPLE
Well, as a Ness main, I try to make it a habit to not do my PK Thunder near the stage. If I can Airdodge to the stage, I'll do it. If I'm too far out to airdodge and too close to Up-B, pull back a little and Up-B. Not to mention, Ness's warp is amazing.

And yeah, JC Sheild is a good thing to have also.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
I'm not all too good with Ness, so I'd have to say Yoshi. He's heavy, better at edgeguarding and all that. If only he had a third jump, I'm sure he'd climb up quite a lot on the tier lists too. That's just the major downside about him.

chu12ch

Smash Journeyman
Id have to say that the no jumping out of shield gets a bit annoying...

But i do love those lightshields and powershields of yoshi...

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Yeah his throws are pretty lame, but then I rarely ever use his tongue anyway. If it had longer reach it wouldn't be so bad though, maybe it'd make up for the start-up lag then.

Top Bottom