• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness Match Up Chart Ver 2.0

Mr Purple

Smash Rookie
You just misread. I was referring to the MU chart where Belmonts were put in the same tier as the extremely easy matchups of Jiggly and K. Rool. The whole point was to say those MUs are so easy that it doesn't make sense to put the Belmonts in the same tier.

Last edited:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
You just misread. I was referring to the MU chart where Belmonts were put in the same tier as the extremely easy matchups of Jiggly and K. Rool. The whole point was to say those MUs are so easy that it doesn't make sense to put the Belmonts in the same tier.
Ohhhh ok I misunderstood sorry about that. I’d put them one tier down as a +1 or maybe a +1.5 but I still think it’s a pretty easy matchup for the reasons others in this thread have stated. Sorry about that tho

D

Deleted member

Just made a few adjustments
Pichu to +0
Simon to +1
Also made it vertical to make it easier to read.

kraw23

Smash Apprentice
I am not a fan of the vertical layout, means I have to scroll to see it all!

D

Deleted member

I am not a fan of the vertical layout, means I have to scroll to see it all!
All right im on mobile so it probably only helps me fixing. Edit Fixed!

Last edited by a moderator:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I think we’ve still got some work to do but it’s coming along. I don’t think this chart will be done for a long time because there’s a lot we don’t know right now and a lot of MUs we need more experience with on a competitive level and we need to see more of on a competitive level

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
Wait who said K Rool was a bad matchup? He’s literally almost free. Jiggs is the same. I haven’t heard any Ness players say K Rool (this is making my sides split laughing) or Jiggs are a bad matchup. I think we have advantage over the Belmonts too. We get in on them and it’s gg. I think Shulk is Ness’s worst MU personally

I seriously cannot get over somebody calling K Rool a bad MU. He’s pretty much free
He means +2 for us, not against us, I believe.

edit: probably should've read the new posts before posting mine, sorry for beating a dead horse, MG

I honestly haven't fought (or even seen, outside of Nicko) many Shulks so I can't really say either way, but I would be inclined to agree Shulk has the tools to deal with Ness in theory. Shield breaks out of our multihit combo/kill moves (which is honestly huge, because Ness really relies on his multihits), speed/jump let him edgeuard us rather easily, and of course the monado is obscenely huge. I still say Yoshi is Ness's greatest bane thus far due to his ability to camp us for free, having great edgeguard potential, and having frame data that competes with or straight up beats ours, but my opinion is pretty biased from having fought several Yoshi mains at locals.

Last edited:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
He means +2 for us, not against us, I believe.

edit: probably should've read the new posts before posting mine, sorry for beating a dead horse, MG

I honestly haven't fought (or even seen, outside of Nicko) many Shulks so I can't really say either way, but I would be inclined to agree Shulk has the tools to deal with Ness in theory. Shield breaks out of our multihit combo/kill moves (which is honestly huge, because Ness really relies on his multihits), speed/jump let him edgeuard us rather easily, and of course the monado is obscenely huge. I still say Yoshi is Ness's greatest bane thus far due to his ability to camp us for free, having great edgeguard potential, and having frame data that competes with or straight up beats ours, but my opinion is pretty biased from having fought several Yoshi mains at locals.
I don’t think Yoshi camps us for free though. I mean it’s not always optimal but the hitbox of Magnet destroys egg and we can outbutton him at certain points. I don’t think it’s a good MU I just don’t know if it’s that bad. That said I don’t have the experience at locals that you do

However we can punish his landings with PK Fire and combo him. We can’t use PK Fire while he’s above the stage to juggle cause of Yoshi bomb but we can use it off stage and edgeguard

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think we’ve still got some work to do but it’s coming along. I don’t think this chart will be done for a long time because there’s a lot we don’t know right now and a lot of MUs we need more experience with on a competitive level and we need to see more of on a competitive level
Well that's ok! As more info comes along i will update until its accurate all the way through and the discussion is the best thing for this.

kraw23

Smash Apprentice
I don’t think Yoshi camps us for free though. However we can punish his landings with PK Fire and combo him
I get the feeling he means off stage - Yoshi's airspeed is way faster than ours, so if we get sent off stage he can use his first jump to just follow where we go, then as soon as PK thunder starts up he hits nair and jumps back to stage. Ness has a hard time dealing with that.

We also can't really combo him as he can double jump away for free, or use his super quick (frame 3 I think?) nair to break out.

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
I don’t think Yoshi camps us for free though. I mean it’s not always optimal but the hitbox of Magnet destroys egg and we can outbutton him at certain points. I don’t think it’s a good MU I just don’t know if it’s that bad. That said I don’t have the experience at locals that you do

However we can punish his landings with PK Fire and combo him. We can’t use PK Fire while he’s above the stage to juggle cause of Yoshi bomb but we can use it off stage and edgeguard
Yoshi, much like Jigglypuff, escapes PK fire for free thanks to his amazing air speed so it isn't very effective as a punish tool in that MU. The main reason Yoshi camps us for free is speed and mobility. His air speed is greater than Ness's run speed and he has amazing aerial acceleration to boot, so if Yoshi doesn't want to be touched it's a nightmare trying to close the gap. Normally, PK thunder is a good tool, but Yoshi's egg punishes it's use very easily, plus he has amazing aerials to beat it out. Plus everything kraw23 mentioned.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Yoshi, much like Jigglypuff, escapes PK fire for free thanks to his amazing air speed so it isn't very effective as a punish tool in that MU. The main reason Yoshi camps us for free is speed and mobility. His air speed is greater than Ness's run speed and he has amazing aerial acceleration to boot, so if Yoshi doesn't want to be touched it's a nightmare trying to close the gap. Normally, PK thunder is a good tool, but Yoshi's egg punishes it's use very easily, plus he has amazing aerials to beat it out. Plus everything kraw23 mentioned.
Alright I understand that. I haven’t played a good Yoshi like I said so I haven’t experienced it but I understand the problems he can present

CHOVI

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHOVI3
3DS FC
3566-1571-6130
So what can we do against Yoshi?

kraw23

Smash Apprentice
Like with all tough match ups the best option is to wait, stay patient and punish hard. Yoshi is vulnerable when he has used his double jump, so PK fire followed by aggressive aerials can work if he uses the DJ to escape PK fire. You need to keep in mind which moves are punishable - his down B is laggy, and so are his smash attacks. Don't try to punish an aerial because he will nair you. They also like to stay below you and upsmash/tilt/air you so try to mix up your landings - airdodge, drift to ledge, pkt etc.

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
In addition to what kraw23 said, there's a few odd interactions you can abuse.
PKT can steal his double jump, and sometimes I've done so without actually dealing knockback (At least, that's what appeared to happen. Maybe I'm just crazy), which is pretty bad for Yoshi off stage.
You can absorb the stars from his down b, and then cancel magnet into an aerial.

Mr Purple

Smash Rookie
I think the Belmonts should be even or -1. The Ness discord seems to think it's even or disadvantage for them, and the Belmont discord seems to think it's even or winning for them. Here is an example of some of the charts I came across. I also heard Bestness doesn't like to play against Belmonts with Ness.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think the Belmonts should be even or -1. The Ness discord seems to think it's even or disadvantage for them, and the Belmont discord seems to think it's even or winning for them. Here is an example of some of the charts I came across. I also heard Bestness doesn't like to play against Belmonts with Ness.
I think our ability to get and keep them off stage is all we need too keep it our advantage and the range isn't that big of a deal most of the time

Mr Purple

Smash Rookie
Alright, I won't bother to look for community consensus if this MU chart is more about your personal opinion. What was your reasoning for putting Ice climbers even?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Alright, I won't bother to look for community consensus if this MU chart is more about your personal opinion. What was your reasoning for putting Ice climbers even?
Um it's not opinion and Inklings splatroller being broken used to be the general consensus and look how that went and if it was opinion based i wouldn't be updating it corresponding to what yall see fit
And i also don't give a crap about the Ness discord because everytime they get brought up the discussion leads to them being wrong.
Anyway about Ice Climbers as annoying as it is to try and combo them i find if you target and kill Nana it becomes a cakewalk.

kraw23

Smash Apprentice
Tournament results are more useful to determine matchups than Elite Smash, and the more opinions we get on a matchup the closer we get to the true placement on the list. That's why I think the discord charts should be considered for this one - in this thread we only have like 6 or 7 people which is definitely not enough to get accurate placements.

D

Deleted member

Tournament results are more useful to determine matchups than Elite Smash, and the more opinions we get on a matchup the closer we get to the true placement on the list. That's why I think the discord charts should be considered for this one - in this thread we only have like 6 or 7 people which is definitely not enough to get accurate placements.
Ok fair enough but do you think the Belmonts should be changed?

kraw23

Smash Apprentice
I don't have any data relating to the matchup unfortuantely. I have been destroyed by Belmonts online and I have destroyed Belmonts online. I haven't ever seen a Ness vs Belmont tournament match either. I reckon with a discrepency that big we should go with the chart that has more data points - i.e. yes we should move the Belmonts

PK Bash

Smash Apprentice
It's your lucky day gentlemen.
https://youtu.be/6WDKpVmrlbE?t=151
Half an hour of Ness vs Simon Belmont.
Here are some more for your viewing
https://ssbworld.com/matchup/ness-vs-simon 8 games here
https://ssbworld.com/matchup/ness-vs-richter and 11 games here.

SSBWorld is an absolute goldmine and a great starting point for learning and studying matchups, though keep in mind that it doesn't have every set of every matchup on YT. One day it will probably be that clever but until then.

Now if I may be so bold:
I don't think this thread is very useful, especially now the OP no longer exists, and certainly not as useful as the Matchup Thread could be. Simply put, we don't know these matchups well enough yet. Making a matchup chart is a waste of time and not useful to newer players who need to know how to fight the characters. Ratios do not matter. How to play these characters... that's what matters.
https://twitter.com/dabuzsenpai/status/874731694040940544
Collaboratively, we could do something like this and with multiple people's input, it could be amazing.

We'd also do well to keep this video in mind https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwXOwHAoGK4 (this is a great series and worth a look by everyone anyway)
Take particular note of the Yoshi example. That's the kind of thing that needs to be noted - and what Ness can do about it, what his best counterplay to those sort of situations is.

This one is also very important. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8EIRu-Vwak&

I hope this offers some food for thought for you all. It's great to see discussion.

kraw23

Smash Apprentice
Excellent set of links, thanks mate. The ssbworld links make the Belmont matchup look pretty bleak. Still, only 4 Ness players are represented in those 19 games so more data is required. I think we can get use out of matchup discussion, even if its early days. We can't get to a decent end result if no one talks about it.

D

Deleted member

It's your lucky day gentlemen.
https://youtu.be/6WDKpVmrlbE?t=151
Half an hour of Ness vs Simon Belmont.
Here are some more for your viewing
https://ssbworld.com/matchup/ness-vs-simon 8 games here
https://ssbworld.com/matchup/ness-vs-richter and 11 games here.

SSBWorld is an absolute goldmine and a great starting point for learning and studying matchups, though keep in mind that it doesn't have every set of every matchup on YT. One day it will probably be that clever but until then.

Now if I may be so bold:
I don't think this thread is very useful, especially now the OP no longer exists, and certainly not as useful as the Matchup Thread could be. Simply put, we don't know these matchups well enough yet. Making a matchup chart is a waste of time and not useful to newer players who need to know how to fight the characters. Ratios do not matter. How to play these characters... that's what matters.
https://twitter.com/dabuzsenpai/status/874731694040940544
Collaboratively, we could do something like this and with multiple people's input, it could be amazing.

We'd also do well to keep this video in mind https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwXOwHAoGK4 (this is a great series and worth a look by everyone anyway)
Take particular note of the Yoshi example. That's the kind of thing that needs to be noted - and what Ness can do about it, what his best counterplay to those sort of situations is.

This one is also very important. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8EIRu-Vwak&

I hope this offers some food for thought for you all. It's great to see discussion.
I do! exist new account.

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
As much as I agree that learning a character takes precedence over their matchup chart, and I also agree that a matchup chart is hugely subjective in these early months of the game (I'd wager I have barely fought even a quarter of these characters at a competitive skill level), I wouldn't go so far as to say this thread has no value. The chart itself doesn't hold much weight, and it won't for quite some time I imagine, but the ideas discussed here have value. There have been several posts discussing how certain characters can stuff out our options, and what counterplay there is to that.

Mr Purple

Smash Rookie
PK Bash said:
Making a matchup chart is a waste of time and not useful to newer players who need to know how to fight the characters. Ratios do not matter. How to play these characters... that's what matters.
A MU chart is just a shorthand for the paragraph format you are suggesting, and ideally, there would be that kind of reasoning behind placements when someone builds a MU chart. I don't think anyone would object to recording that thought process down as well, but the MU chart format is way more digestible and most people are still going to want it in that simpler form even when we have all the matchups extensively written out in paragraphs.

Henchwarrior

Smash Rookie
How is it? I'm open to any criticism no matter how :mad: I get lol. And feel free to ask questions about placement and such.:)
View attachment 195153

Credit to kraw23 kraw23 for formatting the chart
It has been 1 year and the meta had developed more. This is the changes required:
Move Snake, DK and Wii Fit Trainer to +2 against Ness. Snake struggles to play his game against Ness. DK gets combo'ed, juggled and pressured for free by Ness, and he can't do much against PK Fire and Thunder. Wii Fit Trainer can't keep up against Ness's hitboxes making him hard to approach in that matchup.
Move Luigi, Bowser, Sheik, Lucario, Mewtwo, Ivysaur, Mii Gunner and Falcon to +1 ( Falcon can go in +2). Luigi gets shut down by his edgeguarding and projectiles. Bowser is too combo food for Ness, and can't land safely Sheik has a very rough time against Ness's hitboxes. Lucario's neutral gets invalidated by Ness, and Falcon is the same as Bowser. Mewtwo can't land, and has a lot of trouble escaping Ness's combos. Ivysaur took very big nerfs, and his aerials can call out his as they have superior frame data, and faces the same trouble as Mewtwo. Mii Gunner's main projectiles don't work on him, and also can't land

Move the Links, R.O.B., PAC-MAN, Pit and Mega Man to 0. The Links have swords and their N-airs are troublesome for Ness, other than that Ness can Yo-Yo all of them for free. R.O.B. even though he is combo food, he has gigantic hitboxes and Gyro can stuff his approaches, but he faces the same problems as Bowser. Mega Man can stuff out any approach possible for Ness, and has more range than Ness, but Ness can combo him and Yo-Yo him for free. Pit has a sword and ridicolous edgeguarding, but Ness has way more consistent hitboxes and better punish game than them.

Move Chrom, Greninja, Marth and Yoshi to -1. Chrom has more range and beats Yo-Yo. Greninja is very fast and outkills Ness, Marth has a sword, but way less consistent, and Yoshi doesn't have any disjoint to cover himself, and gets beaten by Yo-Yo.

Move G&W and Shulk to -2. G&W has unorthodox hitboxes, is very good against Thunder and PK Fire. Edgeguards Ness like crazy, and Ness has a lot of trouble landing against him. Shulk is the same as Chrom, but has Monado to escape Ness's combos for free, edgeguard him, combo him, and even outkill him

Top Bottom