• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness---> Lucas + Mike?

Intercept

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking about something today. Lucas seems like Ness, only his A moves are PSI based rather than item based like Ness. One of the biggest arguments I've heard against Mike J. is that his A moves would be to much like Ness'. Do you think it's possible that Ness is gone, and while Lucas takes his B moves, Mike will take his A moves?

Intercept

Smash Journeyman
Oh sorry. Mike J. isn't from Mother at all actually. He is from the Nintendo series Star Tropics. Interestingly enough, the 2 games were made by Nintendo and released only in America. Sakurai might not even know of his existence.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Oh sorry. Mike J. isn't from Mother at all actually. He is from the Nintendo series Star Tropics. Interestingly enough, the 2 games were made by Nintendo and released only in America. Sakurai might not even know of his existence.
Star Tropics was released in Europe as well.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
You know.. I had the exact same thought the other day, when Lucas' moves were announced...

Ness was like... getting in Mike's way if you ask me. (I wanted Mike in Smash Bros since the N64 version).

But now that Ness is apparently gone... Mike COULD replace his A attacks (I was actually hoping for him to use his Yoyo as a conventional weapon, like in StarTropics 1).

So that's why I'm not sad to hear that Lucas could replace Ness. At all. :p .. But of course that's asking for a miracle. :/

And it's great to hear from another human being who's played StarTropics. Now I don't feel so alone in the world. XD

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'd Rather see Tingle and Wailuigi as playable before I see him in brawl.

He doesnt even deserve to be a sticker.
Clearly has never played StarTropics in his life...

And for the record... this "douche bag" could pretty much wipe the floor with most character suggestions I hear... SPECIALLY with Ness.

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
I would actually love to see Mike Jones in Brawl. The chances of that happening sadly are slim to none. I doubt Sakurai has even heard of Star Tropics, due to it's lack of a Japanese release. For those of you who don't know, Star Tropics was an excellent Nintendo developed adventure game that was absically Zelda with a tropical setting. It was awesome and even got a sequel in the form of Star Tropics II: Zoda's Revenge. It's really sad these two games are so unknown. I am sure that if it was released in Japan, people would have suggested him for the poll and he could have had a chance.

blayde_axel

Smash Master
Oh yeah. I can hear everyone now...

*Picks Mike Jones*

Annoucer: Mike Jones!

Player: Who?!

*Repeat*

But my Startropics knowledge is slim. I'll return after I play the game in a totally legal fashion and say what I think.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Oh yeah. I can hear everyone now...

*Picks Mike Jones*

Annoucer: Mike Jones!

Player: Who?!

*Repeat*

But my Startropics knowledge is slim. I'll return after I play the game in a totally legal fashion and say what I think.
Aside from the rapper joke..

This is the type of answer I expect from smart people. PLAY it before you SAY it. (think I'm gonna make a sig with that phrase)

blayde_axel

Smash Master
It's actually pretty fun. At first, I was kinda skeptical cause you're greeted with the rip-off Legend of Zelda screen, but so far, it's pretty good. I see where the yo-yo (Along with the comparison to Ness) comes from. lol.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
ThoraxeRMG: Has nothing to do with Mother. StarTropics and Mother are just considered game relatives cause they both take place in the modern era.

blayde_axel: Some elements are borrowed from Zelda, but this game IS pretty unique. If you started it, chances are you'll want to finish it.

Deuceblade: Mike came before Ness, smart guy.. And Mike's machine-gun-fast yoyo strikes completely destroy Ness's weak+slow style.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Deuceblade: Mike came before Ness, smart guy.. And Mike's machine-gun-fast yoyo strikes completely destroy Ness's weak+slow style.
AND it's not even a toy yo-yo like Ness, it's the weapon that the yo-yo originated from (I think in the Philippines) used for hunting and such.

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
Sakurai said no clones.. this guy clearly cloned Lucas' hair (joke joke)

but that image is pretty cool... he'd probably make a cool AT swinging around is yoyo..

blayde_axel

Smash Master
...no. Mike jones will not be in brawl. Too bad so sad. If anything Ness will return with a revamped moveset.
You're Sakurai, right? Can you tell me if Ness's in?

It seems like a long shot, but he is impressive.

Off-Topic: Hey, what's the snowman for on Startropics? I picked it up, and nothing happened. lol.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
blayde_axel; To use it you must pause and press either up or down. Then you can use the snowman.

(it's meant to freeze everything on screen except you for a not so brief moment)

--
Deuceblade:
"No clones" Haven't you been listening boi!? Take those bannanas off your ears and listen well.

Mike would NOT be a clone of Ness. Two main reasons.

1.- Ness's yo yo sucks. And he uses them for two AWFUL smash attacks.
2.- Mike is to Yoyo, what Link is to sword. Capiche?
3.- Mike's whole fighting style revolves about THROWING a huge arsenal of weapons.

Ness on the other hand is supposed to have a bunch of PK spells at his disposal... but instead they HAD to copy Paula's moves, so he could have a moveset.

In summary... I could think of 3 different movesets for Mike J. Where Sakurai could only think of half of one for Ness, and he was forced to borrow spells from other characters.

Yes, I KNOW it's a long shot. That doesn't stop me from supporting him.

Intercept

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I want Ness back and expect he will be. However, if he's not, I was just throwing out the suggestion that some of his A-moves would be similar to what Mike would have. Also, it's strange people always assume clones and copies are from the same series if you mention it. People consider Ganondorf to be a Falcon clone, but he has nothing to do with F-Zero.

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
This thread is more of a joke than that white background = dr mario thread.

This guy isn't popular in japan, so ultimately Sakurai won't give him the light of day.

serosfan

Smash Apprentice
This thread is more of a joke than that white background = dr mario thread.

This guy isn't popular in japan, so ultimately Sakurai won't give him the light of day.
*slap slap*

Wake up from that day dream of yours, bub.

Honestly, were the Ice Climbers popular in Japan? Game and Watch? Mike has as much chance of getting into Brawl as they did into Melee before its release. Don't be surprised if he shows up.

And whats up with being an *** about the character. Everything points to Ness not coming back. I would much rather have a new character from a new franchise than Sakurai beating a dead horse to have Ness back when he has already given his moves to Lucas.

Top Bottom